Page 19 of 169 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    From Fullerton's interview:

TSN: Where does the Big Sky stand on getting a 14th member in football?

DF: Well, we absolutely want to go to 14. We would like a full-fledged member. We can go to divisions, mitigate some travel in football and then in basketball and all the other sports you can have partner-scheduling, which we don't have now. That would take us to 12 in basketball and volleyball and all that. Getting to an even number is really a goal we've got.
    --------------------------------------------

If the Big Sky doesn't get Idaho or New Mexico State, and UND stays in Big Sky, will they go after NDSU as the 14th member for football and 12th member for everything else? And if this happens, would the Missouri Valley want NDSU enough to invite it into their conference for all sports (and not lose NDSU to the Big Sky). All the changes in the Summit league has to have NDSU concerned about the long-term future of that league.

I would think that the Big Sky would like to partner UND with someone else for travel partners, and NDSU would be the best fit geographically and program ability.

As an aside, I think that SDSU's partner is now USD since they are in the same state and same conference for everything. Politically I don't think the state of SD would like to see them split up again. So essentially NDSU is on its own for switching conferences -- MVC or Big Sky or a FBS league.

Lastly, it was very interesting to listen to Gene Taylor and President Bresciani talk about any potential NDSU move to FBS football. To summarize, Taylor said he is concerned about all the major programs in FCS moving up and FCS essentially becoming what happened to DII. He doesn't want NDSU to get left behind again. Bresciani said it is an ever changing landscape and cost is THE major factor to moving up. I think if cost wasn't an issue, and a conference would take NDSU, they would move NDSU to FBS. If alumni/corporate partners paid for it (like how hockey was going to be paid for at MSU-Moorhead), then NDSU would move up. Don't know if any FBS would be interested in NDSU -- MAC would be the most likely. Stay tuned, I think things are going to get real interesting.
    I have no doubt that Fullerton wants NDSU and wants it in a big way. That was one of the reasons for adding UND and poaching USD. But I don't think NDSU wants the Big Sky. As long as the Summit holds at eight schools or more, I think the Summit is more appealing than a bloated Big Sky. The ONLY reason I could see a move to the Big Sky would be in preparation of a conference mitosis. The Big Sky gets so big that there's an orderly separation between members and we end up with the Montanas. But, even then, I still favor the Summit/MVFC.

Greenie is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    I have no doubt that Fullerton wants NDSU and wants it in a big way. That was one of the reasons for adding UND and poaching USD. But I don't think NDSU wants the Big Sky. As long as the Summit holds at eight schools or more, I think the Summit is more appealing than a bloated Big Sky. The ONLY reason I could see a move to the Big Sky would be in preparation of a conference mitosis. The Big Sky gets so big that there's an orderly separation between members and we end up with the Montanas. But, even then, I still favor the Summit/MVFC.
    A couple big problems with the Big Sky are obviously increased travel costs, and that they don't sponsor all of our sports (baseball, softball to name a couple).

zooropa is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

would the Missouri Valley want NDSU enough to invite it into their conference for all sports
    The MVFC is not the same as the MVC, and the short answer to your question is "No." The longer answer is "Hell no."

Quote Originally Posted by zooropa View Post
    The MVFC is not the same as the MVC, and the short answer to your question is "No." The longer answer is "Hell no."
    Oh wow -- they aren't the same -- geez thanks for clearing that up (wish I could find the sarcasm button)

Oh wow -- they aren't the same -- geez thanks for clearing that up (wish I could find the sarcasm button)
    Your wording implies confusion about the two conferences:

would the Missouri Valley want NDSU enough to invite it into their conference for all sports (and not lose NDSU to the Big Sky)
    The MVC is at no risk of losing NDSU to the Big Sky, as NDSU is not in the MVC.

The MVFC may be at risk of losing NDSU to the Big Sky, but the MVFC only sponsors one sport.

The MVFC may be at risk of losing NDSU to the Big Sky, but the MVFC only sponsors one sport.
    I am not confused, you know what I meant

I am not confused, you know what I meant
    Maybe you're not confused, but I am.

Did you mean that UNI, SIU, Illinois State, Indiana State and Missouri State would want to invite NDSU to the MVC, in order to keep them in the MVFC?

Because that's incredibly unlikely.

At these schools football is a money pit. MBB isn't. Those schools aren't about to lower the quality of their profit center, in order to maintain the prestige of a loss leader.

Hambone is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

A couple big problems with the Big Sky are obviously increased travel costs, and that they don't sponsor all of our sports (baseball, softball to name a couple).
    I believe with UND and SUU coming in, and Montana starting a team, the Big Sky will be sponsoring softball (as these three will make 8 (I believe) Big Sky schools with softball). I have no idea what baseball would do.
    University of North Dakota *THIS SPACE FOR RENT*

MVC and MVFC share the same Office and officers just added football in there, anybody that says there is no affiliation at all is delusional. There is a reason it contains the 3 letters MV C. And obviously I know it's not exactly the same
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    MVC and MVFC share the same Office and officers just added football in there, anybody that says there is no affiliation at all is delusional. There is a reason it contains the 3 letters MV C. And obviously I know it's not exactly the same
    I don't think he's saying there is no affiliation. What you said is technically correct but probably has close to zero relevance as pertaining specifically to NDSU.

The Gorilla in the room is that the MVC is primarily about BASKETBALL and they think of themselves as a pretty big deal in the mid-major ranks. Most of their schools don't play football in the MVFC.

The result is that the MVC isn't the slightest bit impressed with NDSU's basketball program and there is a long list of schools ahead of us if the MVC were actively looking for new members. Even the MVFC isn't in a spot where losing NDSU to another conference (BSC?) would be catastrophic. Heck, some might even welcome it (one less loss on their record and a better shot at the post-season).