Page 17 of 169 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Glad you revised your language, zoo.

That was some grade a bullshit.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Actually some of the resistance to NDSU had a lot to do with our support, traditions and facilities. A few schools(especially Missouri State) were concerned about adding another strong program to an already strong conference.
    Great. That should make us a lock for full MVC membership since we pose little threat in their primary sport. I wonder how soon until they offer. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

zooropa is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    Glad you revised your language, zoo.

That was some grade a bullshit.
    Nah. It's true. True but unpopular around these parts. You think the MAC, for instance, would draw a major distinction between NDSU & SDSU on the basis of 'tradition' or 'fan support'? Facilities? Absolutely. Budget? Likely. But let's not exaggerate the differences, shall we?

JSUBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by zooropa View Post
    Oh why not toss that subject into this 'mystery meat' topic?

UNO football was struggling to draw even 4k to home games, and the school has a mammoth Title IX issue. I don't think they could do FCS football.
    I thought that Title IX wouldn't be an issue if a sport does not have scholarships? I had hoped that UNO at the worst would have kept their FB and gone non scholly for a while. They could have played in the Pioneer or even Indy until they could get their house in order. I would think that NDSU, SDSU and USD may even schedule a home/home with them from time to time, seeing how UNO is conference mate and also there is a history there and could help with attendance for all. I'm sure UNI and others would have liked having UNO football around as well for a guarantee game.

I don't know who UNO was playing in D2 towards the end, but I'm guessing they didn't have any large regional opponents that could increase attendance. I'm guessing if UNO had a home game against USD or SDSU there would be quite a few Yotes and Jacks making the drive, and even more alumni in the Omaha area going to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by JSUBison View Post
    I thought that Title IX wouldn't be an issue if a sport does not have scholarships? I had hoped that UNO at the worst would have kept their FB and gone non scholly for a while. They could have played in the Pioneer or even Indy until they could get their house in order. I would think that NDSU, SDSU and USD may even schedule a home/home with them from time to time, seeing how UNO is conference mate and also there is a history there and could help with attendance for all. I'm sure UNI and others would have liked having UNO football around as well for a guarantee game.

I don't know who UNO was playing in D2 towards the end, but I'm guessing they didn't have any large regional opponents that could increase attendance. I'm guessing if UNO had a home game against USD or SDSU there would be quite a few Yotes and Jacks making the drive, and even more alumni in the Omaha area going to the game.
    It's more than just scholarships. Total support and opportunities matter. That includes coaches salaries, recruiting budgets, etc.

They have men's hockey. No women's hockey. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    It's more than just scholarships. Total support and opportunities matter. That includes coaches salaries, recruiting budgets, etc.

They have men's hockey. No women's hockey. End of story.
    Not quite.

Enrollment: 48% male
    Participation: 61% male
    Expenditures: 70% male

They've got a huge problem.

Not quite.

Enrollment: 48% male
    Participation: 61% male
    Expenditures: 70% male

They've got a huge problem.
    I thought that's what I said. (without any numbers)

I thought that's what I said. (without any numbers)
    Sorry, I thought you were implying that the problem stemmed from the hockey program.

Cutting FB & wrestling brings them into Title IX compliance as far as participation goes. Cutting hockey or adding women's hockey wouldn't, and AFAIK, their hockey program outdraws their FB program.

Sorry, I thought you were implying that the problem stemmed from the hockey program.

Cutting FB & wrestling brings them into Title IX compliance as far as participation goes. Cutting hockey or adding women's hockey wouldn't, and AFAIK, their hockey program outdraws their FB program.
    I guess I was indicating that the Hockey situation didn't help. I was thinking about dollars spent since hockey is expensive. I can see where football would really help bring the participation numbers back in line.

I guess I was indicating that the Hockey situation didn't help. I was thinking about dollars spent since hockey is expensive. I can see where football would really help bring the participation numbers back in line.
    Their FB program was FBS-level huge. They listed 138 participants last year.

Hockey is expensive, but it's probably the only sport they've got that's even close to self-supporting.

FYI: SDSU is required to be fully Title IX compliant. That means equality of spending, etc. Every dollar spent on FB has to be matched by about 95 cents in spending on women's athletics. It's one of the reasons why SDSU is still short staffed on the FB field. (this is also why I'm generally skeptical when people argue that baseball and wrestling are 'victims' of Title IX. If SDSU can do it, any institution can do it.)