Page 147 of 169 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 1685

Thread: Summit Expansion?

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    I would argue that investing in basketball is our best path to FBS. We're arguably the best FCS program in history and that wasn't enough to even get noticed in the recent massive realignment. We're a high research university, so academics aren't a problem. Obviously we don't currently have what it takes to overcome our geographical isolation. BB is a massive part of conference finances. Being a contender for March Madness units will go much further than any incremental football improvements.
    Agreed. And we are stuck with Richy...

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I would argue that investing in basketball is our best path to FBS. We're arguably the best FCS program in history and that wasn't enough to even get noticed in the recent massive realignment. We're a high research university, so academics aren't a problem. Obviously we don't currently have what it takes to overcome our geographical isolation. BB is a massive part of conference finances. Being a contender for March Madness units will go much further than any incremental football improvements.
    You could be right. I do think a highly successful basketball program could bring suiters from FBS conferences. The MWC was interested in Gonzaga and the AAC was obviously interested in Wichita State, despite neither school even having football. The only problem is that it isn't clear that our leadership seeks a path to FBS. And of course, our leadership has never signaled any seriousness about elevating basketball. It really is kind of a shame.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Definitely agree with this 100%. Basketball is where we need to invest in future growth. We need to raise the bar in the Summit like we have done in the MVFC. Set the tone on coaching salaries, facilities, recruiting budgets, OOC scheduling. Make the others chase us. We'll either get the attention of an FBS conference or we'll build up the Summit profile to make it a more solid mid-major BB conference.

I have become a hockey fan due to my son playing the sport. We follow SCSU and college hockey overall fairly closely. With UND, Bemidji, St. Cloud, Duluth, Mankato, UofM and now St. Thomas all D1 in hockey, I don't see much upside for NDSU there. Even if they can eventually build a program that can consistently make the NCAA Hockey tournament, no one outside of the region will notice. It will do very little to raise our Ath. Dept. or University profile nationally. The talent to build a quality program is likely available but I'm also not sure that the fanbase is there. Whether we like to admit it or not, there are a number of Bison fans who are UND hockey fans. I think that with their history, facilities and success it would be difficult for NDSU to compete with that from a fan perspective. SCSU has had a really solid program over the past decade and play a really exciting brand of hockey but there 5000 seat arena will have 1500 people in it if they are playing someone like Miami(OH). They have their die-hards but for most people it's not something they follow very closely. They struggle to build the fanbase greatly because they came to D1 hockey in the late 80's and so many fans in their region were already either Gopher, Duluth or UND fans. I would guess that Mankato has similar issues. Their proximity to the cities and their relatively short history makes their fanbase a bit fair weather even though they have had a really good program the past 5-6 years. I would guess an NDSU hockey program would deal with similar issues.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    I'll preface by saying that I'm not in favor of adding hockey in any way, shape or form. However, there are a few differences in adding hockey compared to adding it 20 years ago.

Scheels Arena exists now and is a nice facility, it's kind of too bad that it wasn't built on NDSU land with an arrangement similar to the Fargodome. We wouldn't be saddled with the SHAC.

College hockey is putting more quality players into the NHL than it was 20 years ago. Though college hockey is an extremely niche sport, the NHL has a bit more broad appeal and would increase visibility a little bit. Not enough to be worth the cost though to make myself clear.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Hockey is huge in North Dakota. It would require a big ass investment and if Omaha can be competitive, we certainly could. It would be a big economic driver to the FM area and NDSU

On the negative side, it crosses over with football and basketball, so it would compete with them if you don't attract new customers

I agree. Basketball is probably the easiest sport to get good really fast because all it takes is 1 great player. But we need to spend the money

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Hockey is huge in North Dakota. It would require a big ass investment and if Omaha can be competitive, we certainly could. It would be a big economic driver to the FM area and NDSU

On the negative side, it crosses over with football and basketball, so it would compete with them if you don't attract new customers

I agree. Basketball is probably the easiest sport to get good really fast because all it takes is 1 great player. But we need to spend the money

I think we are already losing football fans and our AD appears to have secretly extended the contract of a mediocre basketball coach so that fans are none-the-wiser. Hence, I'm not sure crossing over with football and basketball constitutes a negative side.
    Last edited by Professorbum; 01-29-2022 at 05:43 PM.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I think we are already losing football fans and our AD appears to have secretly extended the contract of a mediocre basketball coach so that fans are non-the-wiser. Hence, I'm not sure crossing over with football and basketball constitutes a negative side.
    Hockey fans are kind of different animal. The question is, is everyone in the state who loves hockey already a UND Hockey Fan or would this take the very casual NDSU Fans who love hockey and get them to games? Or would casual UND fans jump to NDSU

I would never go to an NDSU hockey game until after football and basketball season is over but in all honesty, I only go to a few baskeball games a year anyways.

Scheels arena is OK but to build a fan base, you need students. To attract students, you need to be on campus. Maybe the Fargodome could build a hockey arena Wait nevermind, they can't even widen the concourses

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Not sure if they would be a Summit target. Decent looking arena. No football currently. In Evansville but not sure if U Evansville would like the local competition. Could be an OVC school as well based on location.

https://www.wishtv.com/news/universi...k0mCBtaz0IuiRs

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Not sure if they would be a Summit target. Decent looking arena. No football currently. In Evansville but not sure if U Evansville would like the local competition. Could be an OVC school as well based on location.

https://www.wishtv.com/news/universi...k0mCBtaz0IuiRs

I saw that announcement too. Following their former conference mate Bellarmine to the ASUN is also a possibility. By location the Summit, OVC, ASUN, and Horizon are all on the table. Don't see any MVC interest unless they really take off in the next few years. U of Evansville is private and probably doesn't really care.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I saw that announcement too. Following their former conference mate Bellarmine to the ASUN is also a possibility. By location the Summit, OVC, ASUN, and Horizon are all on the table. Don't see any MVC interest unless they really take off in the next few years. U of Evansville is private and probably doesn't really care.
    Another good example of his geography matters. They are in or close to several conferences. Fargo is not. Evansville is Midwest but it's 100 miles closer to Orlando than it is to Fargo. Geography isn't an absolute blocker but it's still a challenge that has to be overcome to be a good fit.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

https://www.wishtv.com/news/indiana-...in-division-i/
    Southern Indiana to OVC. That gives them 8 full with 5 football members after everything else shakes out. I don't think they're done as that's not enough.