Page 146 of 169 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 1685

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    Since we are sticking with JV football, how about NDSU add hockey. We've got Scheel's arena. I'm good for two season tickets. Besides, I don't like UND having something we don't have--particularly something that makes money. And yes critics...men's hockey makes money.
    If I wanted hockey I'd cheer for und. No thank you. Yuck.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    If I wanted hockey I'd cheer for und. No thank you. Yuck.
    See, that's just it. I don't just cheer for the sport. I cheer (or don't cheer) for the school. I like hockey but won't cheer for UND. Go Gophers and MSU Mavericks! Never UND. Like, ever.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Since we are sticking with JV football, how about NDSU add hockey. We've got Scheel's arena. I'm good for two season tickets. Besides, I don't like UND having something we don't have--particularly something that makes money. And yes critics...men's hockey makes money.
    I'm kind of there is well but this whole argument is 1999 all over again. I'd much prefer we forged are own path and doubled down on M/W Basketball and FBS football with a long term goal of the MWC. If we are stuck with the other Dakota's and low major regional schools, then bring on Hockey!

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    I'm kind of there is well but this whole argument is 1999 all over again. I'd much prefer we forged are own path and doubled down on M/W Basketball and FBS football with a long term goal of the MWC. If we are stuck with the other Dakota's and low major regional schools, then bring on Hockey!
    I would counter by saying we will get stuck with the other Dakota's and low major regional schools if we bring on hockey. Take whatever money was going to be thrown at hockey and build the basketball program. If the choice is to be relevant in a sport that a few dozen schools play or to have the opportunity to use basketball to move up the conference ladder or to grab a win or two in the NCAAs every few years I vote basketball 1,000,000 times over hockey.

Spend money on sports that will raise the profile of the school. That will help the ENTIRE school. Being #1 in hockey will get you more Canadian students. About 15-20 more.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    I would counter by saying we will get stuck with the other Dakota's and low major regional schools if we bring on hockey. Take whatever money was going to be thrown at hockey and build the basketball program. If the choice is to be relevant in a sport that a few dozen schools play or to have the opportunity to use basketball to move up the conference ladder or to grab a win or two in the NCAAs every few years I vote basketball 1,000,000 times over hockey.

Spend money on sports that will raise the profile of the school. That will help the ENTIRE school. Being #1 in hockey will get you more Canadian students. About 15-20 more.
    I'll preface by saying that I'm not in favor of adding hockey in any way, shape or form. However, there are a few differences in adding hockey compared to adding it 20 years ago.

Scheels Arena exists now and is a nice facility, it's kind of too bad that it wasn't built on NDSU land with an arrangement similar to the Fargodome. We wouldn't be saddled with the SHAC.

College hockey is putting more quality players into the NHL than it was 20 years ago. Though college hockey is an extremely niche sport, the NHL has a bit more broad appeal and would increase visibility a little bit. Not enough to be worth the cost though to make myself clear.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    I'll preface by saying that I'm not in favor of adding hockey in any way, shape or form. However, there are a few differences in adding hockey compared to adding it 20 years ago.

Scheels Arena exists now and is a nice facility, it's kind of too bad that it wasn't built on NDSU land with an arrangement similar to the Fargodome. We wouldn't be saddled with the SHAC.

College hockey is putting more quality players into the NHL than it was 20 years ago. Though college hockey is an extremely niche sport, the NHL has a bit more broad appeal and would increase visibility a little bit. Not enough to be worth the cost though to make myself clear.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Solid points but like you said the payoff is not worth the expense and cost to other programs.

To look at it simply from a value/business perspective it seems obvious to me the return on that money if spent in basketball would FAR outweigh the return from hockey. You could argue that locally hockey would seem to bring more value but that takes a local/regional smaller mindset/outlook.

Personally I believe the power of the football program(eventually moving up) paired with a high mid major basketball program would do wonders for putting NDSU on a much higher level nationally.

Not arguing or disagreeing with you, as you made your stance clear.

No reason to add hockey, even though I like it and it’s a regional fit
    NDSU would be much better off investing if hoops, even if it ends up being "FCS 4ever"
    I don’t think it will, though
    Tidwell’s interview this AM was interesting if you had any doubts about the FBS move being a topic of current interest inside NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    NDSU would be much better off investing if hoops, even if it ends up being "FCS 4ever"
    Tidwell’s interview this AM was interesting if you had any doubts about the FBS move being a topic of current interest inside NDSU
    They don't have the zoom recording posted yet and I couldn't attend in real time. What was Tidwell's take on the matter? And if you'd prefer I not hijack this thread with this question, I guess you could share under the presidential candidates thread. But I am looking forward to hearing his perspective as I gathered he might be the most pro-athletics candidate (given his own experience as a DI student-athlete).
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

They don't have the zoom recording posted yet and I couldn't attend in real time. What was Tidwell's take on the matter? And if you'd prefer I not hijack this thread with this question, I guess you could share under the presidential candidates thread. But I am looking forward to hearing his perspective as I gathered he might be the most pro-athletics candidate (given his own experience as a DI student-athlete).
    Better that people listen to it themselves, I think, since everyone will hear things differently based on their own perspective. I’m less pessimistic than you are on this topic, for example. I do think that there is significant activity on the FBS front in NDSU Athletics right now, even though there are no guarantees.

I will say that of the three so far, both Cook and Tidwell struck me as bullish on FBS while Larson deferred to NAU and her time at an FCS school. However, I think whoever comes in will listen to the AD et al, since they know more about it than anyone else in the world right now, obviously.

The next candidates will be interesting. Sorry for the drift …

taper is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    I would argue that investing in basketball is our best path to FBS. We're arguably the best FCS program in history and that wasn't enough to even get noticed in the recent massive realignment. We're a high research university, so academics aren't a problem. Obviously we don't currently have what it takes to overcome our geographical isolation. BB is a massive part of conference finances. Being a contender for March Madness units will go much further than any incremental football improvements.