Page 13 of 169 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    So UND is moving West?
    Their conference affiliation is in the West...

Quote Originally Posted by dmksioux View Post
    What happens when the Big Sky boots UND on its ass because of the sanctions? Good luck with that...
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

So the entire conference would go FBS together?

If the Big Sky boots UND, then my point is mute. As of now, I don't think it's going to happen. That could all change come June...eventually UND will drop the name and I believe the Big Sky will wait until next year before making any decisions.

I don't believe the Big Sky will go FBS en masse. I like the fact that UND is in the West (which initially I did not, I prefered the Summit) and can hopefully attach themselves with the Montana Schools. Fullerton is positioning the Big Sky to at least be a part of the second tier DI schools should the BCS schools decide to form their own DI league.

As opposed to the visionary Summit League Commissioner, Tom Douple? He decided to make the Summit League center on the I-29 Corridor and basically upset a majority of the schools. Since the Dakota schools arrived in the Summit: Centenary has left, Oral Roberts is leaving, Oakland is hoping like crazy to get into the Horizon, and there are also stories about IPFW and IUPUI wanting to get into the Horizon. It appears as though the Summit League is becoming the NCC.2 which isn't necessarily bad...I guess. Meanwhile, the Big Sky is growing it's brand which doe include a deal with Root Sports, which may not make them alot of money, but it does increase exposure and help to grow the brand. If UND would ever have the inkling to move up to FBS, I know, it's a ways off, but it would be easier to pull off in the West than it would be in the Midwest or east just for the fact that there aren't as many DI schools in the West. Anyways, it's nice to know NDSU is happy where they are and UND is happy where they are at...
    This post is a hoot.

The Summit has concentrated its geographic footprint - under the direction of member Presidents - Double has no vote. What's happened is a good thing.

Every school in the Summit would like to be in a higher profile league that isn't unique to Douple.

Douple was smart/lucky not to get involved in the UND fiasco.

Similarly Fullerton was reckless in inviting every FCS school in the west to join the Big Sky. It has done nothing to strengthen the stability of the league and will lead to a significant increase in travel costs for most members.

UND is going to be spending big bucks on travel.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    This post is a hoot.

The Summit has concentrated its geographic footprint - under the direction of member Presidents - Double has no vote. What's happened is a good thing.

Every school in the Summit would like to be in a higher profile league that isn't unique to Douple.

Douple was smart/lucky not to get involved in the UND fiasco.

Similarly Fullerton was reckless in inviting every FCS school in the west to join the Big Sky. It has done nothing to strengthen the stability of the league and will lead to a significant increase in travel costs for most members.

UND is going to be spending big bucks on travel.
    Perhaps those Presidents voted they way they did because they all understand that the Summit League is a temporary league and that a majority of the schools view it as a temporary stopping point until they get into a better league? Like I said, NDSU is happy where they are at and UND is happy where they are at. So no reason to continue to bash each other I guess...

zooropa is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

What more can you say, NDB2, to this level of delusion? I can't rep you, but I would if I could.

You're spot on with everything. Predictably, some are treating reckless expansion as though it were a good thing, and conservative stewardship as incompetence. And these people can't be reasoned with. 'Having a dozen teams competing for one post season bid in *every* team sport except football is good for those programs! The only thing better than having a dozen teams competing for one spot would be *more* than a dozen teams!!!!'

zooropa is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Perhaps those Presidents voted they way they did
    Perhaps a mind-controlling alien was responsible. Perhaps perhaps perhaps. The prima facie explanation suffices. No need to introduce bizarre and self-serving (e.g. 'the Big Sky presidents voted for expansion because they're visionary geniuses, the Summit presidents did nothing because they don't care') conspiracy theories.

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by zooropa View Post
    What more can you say, NDB2, to this level of delusion? I can't rep you, but I would if I could.

You're spot on with everything. Predictably, some are treating reckless expansion as though it were a good thing, and conservative stewardship as incompetence. And these people can't be reasoned with. 'Having a dozen teams competing for one post season bid in *every* team sport except football is good for those programs! The only thing better than having a dozen teams competing for one spot would be *more* than a dozen teams!!!!'
    I don't disagree that having that many teams competing for an auto-bid is ideal, but on the other hand being within shouting distance of the minimum schools to keep your auto-bid with members openly talking to other conferences and pining to leave sure isn't the best situation to be in either. It doesn't feel like a safe spot to be with the every changing conference landscape, especially being a conference that has a track record of teams having no desire to stay in (almost 20 teams have been part of the conference and left since it formed a little over 20 years ago). Maybe Douple has a plan and I just haven't saw anything. But as dmksioux said, NDSU and UND seem to be happy where they are, just a matter of opinion.

The Big Sky is infinitely more stable than the Summit. (I don't know how anybody could argue that)

It wasn't that long ago that the Summit was at 10 members competing for one autobid. (So what if the Big Sky is at 12? Really that much different?)

Fullerton's plan for football expansion was partly aimed at stabilizing FCS football in the Western US and creating a conference to rival the larger Eastern conferences. Time will tell if he succeeded in that last one. If I hear anybody on here complaining in the future about the BSC getting more playoff teams than the MVFC, I'll chalk it up as a win for Fullerton.