Page 125 of 169 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1683

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up going like this:

1. St. Thomas asks for a waiver and gets one.
    2. The NCAA votes no on allowing D3s to move up in April 2021.
    Quite frankly, unless the answer was going to be yes, they would not allow waivers. I think almost certainly that they are going to allow STU to move, but need time to correctly draft the legislative paperwork.

So I disagree that a NO vote is coming. All signs point to the YES’s being in place.

Northern Colorado will be joining the Summit as an affiliate member in baseball starting in 2022. That'll get the conference back to 6 baseball teams so they will no longer be in danger of losing the conference autobid until/unless someone else leaves.

Perhaps this opens the door for the Bears as a full member at some point in the future??? Could help balance things geographically with travel partners or provide stability if Western Illinois folds their athletic program or drops to D2.

NDSU/UND
    SDSU/USD
    Omaha/UMKC
    Denver/UNC???
    ORU
    WIU/St Thomas???

N. Colorado would be a great Summit member for other sports as well

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Northern Colorado will be joining the Summit as an affiliate member in baseball starting in 2022. That'll get the conference back to 6 baseball teams so they will no longer be in danger of losing the conference autobid until/unless someone else leaves.

Perhaps this opens the door for the Bears as a full member at some point in the future??? Could help balance things geographically with travel partners or provide stability if Western Illinois folds their athletic program or drops to D2.

NDSU/UND
    SDSU/USD
    Omaha/UMKC
    Denver/UNC???
    ORU
    WIU/St Thomas???

Things are going to get crazy when their isn't a college football season this year.

I would be surprised if WIU and Indiana State field football teams in two years.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    Things are going to get crazy when their isn't a college football season this year.

I would be surprised if WIU and Indiana State field football teams in two years.
    What are you guys talking about? WIU is thrilled with the state of the SL and is making positive strides for the 1st time in a while with this interim president. Western has the best men's basketball recruiting class in the SL with 3 3* players and a nice supporting cast. IL legalized weed allowing for more local and state funding (education specific).

Prior to Covid Lindenwood was looking to go D1 which is a nice fit for us and the league. Also, UMKC had discussed adding baseball since they have a nice facility to use (softball already does). NCO is a welcome addition for baseball.

More importantly, think about the future... 20 years from now when people from the coast lines have to relocate and as the landscape changes WIU will still be around to welcome students. Find a new fantasy, we are the longest tenured team in the league and have turned down the OVC repeatedly.

What am I talking about?

Money.

And WIU's lack of it.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    What am I talking about?

Money.

And WIU's lack of it.
    I know it's not a very popular opinion but you don't have to have a hundred million dollars+ in athletic facilities for college kids. If Western survived the last 10 years I am pretty sure we will make it further. There are many schools in worse shape. As I mentioned before the state has different leadership putting $ into higher education and people getting high is putting money into higher education. Worst case, WIU can increase the number of pays games.

Finally, the numbers never support a D2 move. If anything a school should drop to D3 if they can't fund athletics. WIU isn't a land grant institution so it doesn't make much sense to compare it to one like NDSU. I went to U of I for grad school and NDSU doesn't compare well to it but I don't dump on anyone for it. Embrace the new SL and work to make up ground on other leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Western4Life View Post
    I know it's not a very popular opinion but you don't have to have a hundred million dollars+ in athletic facilities for college kids. If Western survived the last 10 years I am pretty sure we will make it further. There are many schools in worse shape. As I mentioned before the state has different leadership putting $ into higher education and people getting high is putting money into higher education. Worst case, WIU can increase the number of pays games.

Finally, the numbers never support a D2 move. If anything a school should drop to D3 if they can't fund athletics. WIU isn't a land grant institution so it doesn't make much sense to compare it to one like NDSU. I went to U of I for grad school and NDSU doesn't compare well to it but I don't dump on anyone for it. Embrace the new SL and work to make up ground on other leagues.
    I'm hoping you're right. I like Western Illinois as a school and as a league member. The Indiana schools are too far, but Macomb is fine. Western's membership could someday draw in another team out west (but hopefully no further east than WIU), which I think would be fine.
    Last edited by Professorbum; 07-16-2020 at 02:19 AM.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Western4Life View Post
    What are you guys talking about? WIU is thrilled with the state of the SL and is making positive strides for the 1st time in a while with this interim president. Western has the best men's basketball recruiting class in the SL with 3 3* players and a nice supporting cast. IL legalized weed allowing for more local and state funding (education specific).

Prior to Covid Lindenwood was looking to go D1 which is a nice fit for us and the league. Also, UMKC had discussed adding baseball since they have a nice facility to use (softball already does). NCO is a welcome addition for baseball.

More importantly, think about the future... 20 years from now when people from the coast lines have to relocate and as the landscape changes WIU will still be around to welcome students. Find a new fantasy, we are the longest tenured team in the league and have turned down the OVC repeatedly.
    he was talking FOOTBALL.

WIU should drop it and concentrate on Summit Olympic teams. thats all
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Western Illinois gets half of it's measly 10 million dollar budget from the University, half from it's students.

Pretty much tied for last with ipfw who doesn't field football.

A reckoning is coming for everyone. Only the strong will make it.