Page 12 of 169 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

zooropa is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    Fullerton even released a statement the Big Fluffy would take Idaho if they drpped to FCS, the Idaho President even released a letter to students and alum about possibly having to accept and take the step back to preserve the athletics at the university. The BSC wants Idaho its no secret

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/201...thier_bottom_f
    Again, if they take Idaho, it's because they're dumb, not because they're smart.

JSUBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by zooropa View Post
    First of all, there's no TV money for the Big Sky. None. Who in what major metro area gives a flying flapdoodle about any Big Sky school?

Secondly, if the WAC is dead, where are these other schools going to go? You think they're all going to end up in other conferences? Independents? Really? While the WAC has a NCAA tournament auto-bid?

Of course Doug Fullerton may be dumb enough to launch the largest single-bid basketball conference in the as yet discovered universe. He may be dumb enough to insist on an all-sports membership for Idaho, but if he does, I can guarantee you it won't last.

Twelve teams competing for a single bid in the NCAAs. Good grief. Yeah. That's way better than staying in the WAC.
    Other schools? If no other teams leave, the WAC will consist of a grand total of four teams for the 2013 season: Idaho, New Mexico State, Denver, and Seattle. Not a viable conference, there needs to be 7 teams. I guess the WAC could invite the remaining crap schools in the Great West/Independants but there isn't much to choose from with Longwood going to Big South and Houston Baptist going to Southland. I think these are the available teams:

Chicago State ()
    NJIT
    Cal-Bakersfield
    Utah Valley
    Pan American

I think Idaho, NMSU and Denver will do just about anything to get into a respectable conference before adding those junior colleges I listed. I don't know much about Seattle, other than they used to be in the WCC. I think I read somewhere there may be some politics or bad blood between Seattle and the WCC.

Quote Originally Posted by JSUBison View Post
    Other schools? If no other teams leave, the WAC will consist of a grand total of four teams for the 2013 season: Idaho, New Mexico State, Denver, and Seattle. Not a viable conference, there needs to be 7 teams. I guess the WAC could invite the remaining crap schools in the Great West/Independants but there isn't much to choose from with Longwood going to Big South and Houston Baptist going to Southland. I think these are the available teams:

Chicago State ()
    NJIT
    Cal-Bakersfield
    Utah Valley
    Pan American

I think Idaho, NMSU and Denver will do just about anything to get into a respectable conference before adding those junior colleges I listed. I don't know much about Seattle, other than they used to be in the WCC. I think I read somewhere there may be some politics or bad blood between Seattle and the WCC.
    I don't see the WCC adding Boise State, so your putative WAC is: Idaho, Boise State, NMSU, Denver, Seattle, add UVU and Cal-Bakersfield and you have your seven. Seven schools with an auto-bid.

Is it an ugly conference? You bet it is. But the conferences surrounding it are far from stable.

Essentially, there's this move to squeeze six conferences into five in the mountain/coast region, and it's not going to work long term. The sensible response is to maintain the auto-bid for that sixth conference, and bide your time knowing that you'll be able to pick up members sooner or later.

Of course, nothing about this has been sensible, so.......

Again, if they take Idaho, it's because they're dumb, not because they're smart.
    My point in he post was in response to you saying the fluffy doesn't want Idaho when it's been made clear they will take them in a heartbeat
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    My point in he post was in response to you saying the fluffy doesn't want Idaho when it's been made clear they will take them in a heartbeat
    So I see. And apparently they're willing to let Fullerton lead them around by the nose. And, hey, who wouldn't after his triumphant acquisition of UND?

I do agree that Fulerton is not really a visionary, he panicked and added SUU and UND which has left the Big Sky stuck with a school that is out on an island. That said he is absolutely right on target about bringing in Idaho, that school is a great fit for the Big Sky. Perhaps some of these other WAC leftovers would be as well but there isnt' really much room for them, that said if a few votes go against UND in the coming months maybe there might be some more room for them....

why would that be dumb? Most conferences would take a team from a better conference and I believe Idaho was in the big sky at one point. Traveling isn't as big of a deal as it once was. And air force would be a great get for the summit

Quote Originally Posted by ming01 View Post
    why would that be dumb? Most conferences would take a team from a better conference and I believe Idaho was in the big sky at one point. Traveling isn't as big of a deal as it once was. And air force would be a great get for the summit
    Correct, they were a charter member of the Big Sky left in 1996 for the FBS, pretty Sure Idaho St will like the idea of another bus trip instead of plane ride, because lets face it where these two schools are in Idaho its not cheap to fly, Pocatello and Moscow are nothing beautiful
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent;625018[B
    ]I do agree that Fulerton is not really a visionary, he panicked and added SUU and UND which has left the Big Sky stuck with a school that is out on an island. [/B]That said he is absolutely right on target about bringing in Idaho, that school is a great fit for the Big Sky. Perhaps some of these other WAC leftovers would be as well but there isnt' really much room for them, that said if a few votes go against UND in the coming months maybe there might be some more room for them....
    As opposed to the visionary Summit League Commissioner, Tom Douple? He decided to make the Summit League center on the I-29 Corridor and basically upset a majority of the schools. Since the Dakota schools arrived in the Summit: Centenary has left, Oral Roberts is leaving, Oakland is hoping like crazy to get into the Horizon, and there are also stories about IPFW and IUPUI wanting to get into the Horizon. It appears as though the Summit League is becoming the NCC.2 which isn't necessarily bad...I guess. Meanwhile, the Big Sky is growing it's brand which doe include a deal with Root Sports, which may not make them alot of money, but it does increase exposure and help to grow the brand. If UND would ever have the inkling to move up to FBS, I know, it's a ways off, but it would be easier to pull off in the West than it would be in the Midwest or east just for the fact that there aren't as many DI schools in the West. Anyways, it's nice to know NDSU is happy where they are and UND is happy where they are at...

Quote Originally Posted by dmksioux View Post
    As opposed to the visionary Summit League Commissioner, Tom Douple? He decided to make the Summit League center on the I-29 Corridor and basically upset a majority of the schools. Since the Dakota schools arrived in the Summit: Centenary has left, Oral Roberts is leaving, Oakland is hoping like crazy to get into the Horizon, and there are also stories about IPFW and IUPUI wanting to get into the Horizon. It appears as though the Summit League is becoming the NCC.2 which isn't necessarily bad...I guess. Meanwhile, the Big Sky is growing it's brand which doe include a deal with Root Sports, which may not make them alot of money, but it does increase exposure and help to grow the brand. If UND would ever have the inkling to move up to FBS, I know, it's a ways off, but it would be easier to pull off in the West than it would be in the Midwest or east just for the fact that there aren't as many DI schools in the West. Anyways, it's nice to know NDSU is happy where they are and UND is happy where they are at...
    So UND is moving West?