Page 145 of 169 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1683

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by nodak651 View Post
    Agree with you on that. Unless Augi replaces them. Would love to see Milwaukee/Green Bay if expansion is necessary.

WIU is now officially looking at the possibility of leaving the Summit:
    https://letsgodu.com/2022/01/05/west...t-league-exit/
    Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    I don't want Augi for a number of reason either. Mostly I don't want to have a conference that is consolidated within a few hundred miles. Might make $$ sense but it doesn't make competitive sense to me.
    Based on how poorly the D1 attempt went for us last time, I'm not really all that in favor of it anymore. For one, it killed men's basketball's recruiting for 2-3 years when our future was in limbo (we're finally back on track with a recruiting class that could/should have us more nationally competitive again at the D2 level...if we can keep them from diving into the transfer portal after a year or two...), but it's also just annoying to be dealing with uncertainty. So at this point, I hope we stay D2.

That being said, I'll be curious to see what the Summit's plan is if WIU leaves. UMKC is already looking to move on, and as the end of that LetsGoDU article points out, I would be surprised if St. Thomas stays in the Summit more than a few years beyond its 5-year waiting period, if that. With the recruits they're signing, I think they are going to be way ahead of most Summit teams by the end of year 5, at least in men's basketball, and a call from the Big East (with all of their Catholic private schools) or even something a step higher than the Summit is going to be pretty tough to turn down.

If the Summit loses WIU, UMKC, and St. Thomas, they're getting dangerously close to that minimum threshold for the automatic tournament bid, right?

I know someone on here will inevitably say, "I'd rather see St. Cloud or Mankato move up than see Augie move up," which is a perfectly reasonable perspective, but anyone who has paid any attention to both schools in the last few years is probably going to recognize that neither school has given even a hint of an indication that they have the budget (or even the desire) to go D1 in the near future. Unless things have been shifting behind the scenes on that front in the last year or so.

Bottom line, I no longer care if Augie moves up like I used to. Our football team is on a steady upward trajectory, men's basketball is looking like it could be back on track to be nationally competitive, and several of our other sports are performing at high levels year in and year out. If the pro-D1 Augie crowd is still fired up, they can jump on board with the hockey program and get their D1 fix that way.

Either way, I will find it pretty funny if the Summit finds itself in a bind upon 2-3 teams leaving before they're able to suck in a suitable replacement and they end up screwing themselves over, if that happens. I doubt it will come to that, but it would be entertaining. Should be interesting to see what steps the new commissioner takes to make sure that's not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Based on how poorly the D1 attempt went for us last time, I'm not really all that in favor of it anymore. For one, it killed men's basketball's recruiting for 2-3 years when our future was in limbo (we're finally back on track with a recruiting class that could/should have us more nationally competitive again at the D2 level...if we can keep them from diving into the transfer portal after a year or two...), but it's also just annoying to be dealing with uncertainty. So at this point, I hope we stay D2.

That being said, I'll be curious to see what the Summit's plan is if WIU leaves. UMKC is already looking to move on, and as the end of that LetsGoDU article points out, I would be surprised if St. Thomas stays in the Summit more than a few years beyond its 5-year waiting period, if that. With the recruits they're signing, I think they are going to be way ahead of most Summit teams by the end of year 5, at least in men's basketball, and a call from the Big East (with all of their Catholic private schools) or even something a step higher than the Summit is going to be pretty tough to turn down.

If the Summit loses WIU, UMKC, and St. Thomas, they're getting dangerously close to that minimum threshold for the automatic tournament bid, right?

I know someone on here will inevitably say, "I'd rather see St. Cloud or Mankato move up than see Augie move up," which is a perfectly reasonable perspective, but anyone who has paid any attention to both schools in the last few years is probably going to recognize that neither school has given even a hint of an indication that they have the budget (or even the desire) to go D1 in the near future. Unless things have been shifting behind the scenes on that front in the last year or so.

Bottom line, I no longer care if Augie moves up like I used to. Our football team is on a steady upward trajectory, men's basketball is looking like it could be back on track to be nationally competitive, and several of our other sports are performing at high levels year in and year out. If the pro-D1 Augie crowd is still fired up, they can jump on board with the hockey program and get their D1 fix that way.

Either way, I will find it pretty funny if the Summit finds itself in a bind upon 2-3 teams leaving before they're able to suck in a suitable replacement and they end up screwing themselves over, if that happens. I doubt it will come to that, but it would be entertaining. Should be interesting to see what steps the new commissioner takes to make sure that's not an issue.
    Augi is in a good spot. They will have a D1 program that will help to get them more exposure, as hockey is popular in the area, and at the same time, you are better able to differentiate yourself from the other D1 Dakota Schools. You wouldn't be able to beat them by trying to play the same game. With hockey as the only D1 sport, you can keep athletic department costs down, and will have a better chance of maintaining a winning tradition in both basketball and football. Augi doesn't have the budget to add D1 hockey AND field competetive basketball and football teams. The other D1 hockey programs in MN have a good thing going, and there isn't really a reason to think you should or have the ability to operate much differently. Augi isn't St. Thomas. Otherwise, please expect to see Augi cut some sports - see Omaha for reference. If Augi really really really does want to pursue D1 in all sports, is there any chance at an OVC invite despite being way out of the footprint? Also, prior to the Summit pursuing MN schools, I think they would try for the Wisconsin D1 schools and Northern Colorado. The flight risks you mention are real, however, which is why I'm a strong supporter of the Summit adding hockey.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I have come full circle on this twice. Summit needs to add Minnesota State and bring Hockey under the Summit banner. If...you could get UMKC to add hockey which they supposedly want to, then the Summit will be on solid footing without having to add football. This keeps us free to explore and pursue an FBS football only invite that we can parlay into an eventual MWC invite.

Summit

NDSU
    UND
    SDSU
    USD
    UST
    MSU
    UMKC
    Denver
    Omaha
    ORU

Summit Hockey

UND
    Denver
    Minnesota State
    UST
    Omaha
    UMKC
    Colorado College*
    SCSU*
    UMD*

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    I have come full circle on this twice. Summit needs to add Minnesota State and bring Hockey under the Summit banner. If...you could get UMKC to add hockey which they supposedly want to, then the Summit will be on solid footing without having to add football. This keeps us free to explore and pursue an FBS football only invite that we can parlay into an eventual MWC invite.

Summit

NDSU
    UND
    SDSU
    USD
    UST
    MSU
    UMKC
    Denver
    Omaha
    ORU

Summit Hockey

UND
    Denver
    Minnesota State
    UST
    Omaha
    UMKC
    Colorado College*
    SCSU*
    UMD*
    Does the Summit League have a buyout? If not, Fenton is going to try to add one. More curious right now if there is one or not. Obviously NDSU would pay whatever it was to accept a FBS opportunity. I believe the NCHC's was roughly the same as 1 year worth of league operating costs, which has been quoted around 1.5 - 2 million. Mentioning the NCHC because Fenton was/is obviously in charge there. For clarification, the assumption is obviously that buyouts wouldn't be paid for a hockey move to the Summit. Curious if he can be successful in implementing a similar buyout in the Summit League with so many schools that have a foot out the door.

UMKC hockey isn't exciting, but if they did so in conjunction with building a new multipurpose arena, I think it would be worth it for the growth of the Summit.

Auggie will happen if Sanford wants it to happen, put their football in the pioneer. As much as I would like to see Summit football I don’t think St Thomas and Auggie can afford it.

I don’t see St Thomas moving to a better conference until they see success in the Summit. Won’t be for at least a decade. Make them commit to the Summit hockey by making them keep all sports in the summit

For anyone worried about the Summit hiring Fenton, listen to his latest interview on the Reaching the Summit podcast. The guy is dialed in. http://reachingthesummitpodcast.com/...r-josh-fenton/

Illinois Chicago announcing they are moving to the MVC.

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Illinois Chicago announcing they are moving to the MVC.
    Wow, that's rough for the Horizon *and* the MVC. Just think that WSU, Creighton, and Loyola were all in the MVC. That conference would almost be a high major if they all had stayed there.
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Summit

NDSU
    UND
    SDSU
    USD
    UST
    MSU
    UMKC
    Denver
    Omaha
    ORU

Summit Hockey

UND
    Denver
    Minnesota State
    UST
    Omaha
    UMKC
    Colorado College*
    SCSU*
    UMD*
    I’m not sure how to make this clear to you, but MN State Mankato can’t afford Hockey, basketball and football at the DI level. Can’t do it . . . See Und and St Cloud. It’s clear.

And . . . Football is a staple at this school. DII it will remain unless it cuts, and cuts hard. Football is gone if it even considers DI. If they limp into DI, see N Coolorado football.

DI at MSU would make them UST’s little sister. Better off to fund Hockey in DII.

Summit

NDSU
    UND
    SDSU
    USD
    UST
    MSU
    UMKC
    Denver
    Omaha
    ORU

Summit Hockey

UND
    Denver
    Minnesota State
    UST
    Omaha
    UMKC
    Colorado College*
    SCSU*
    UMD*
    Since we are sticking with JV football, how about NDSU add hockey. We've got Scheel's arena. I'm good for two season tickets. Besides, I don't like UND having something we don't have--particularly something that makes money. And yes critics...men's hockey makes money.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.