Page 138 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 1685

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

I think you guys will like Fenton. The guy is legit and he has vision - put together the NCHC pod, for example, and the NCHC platform that he put together is quality, kicks back 80% of the revenue to the schools in proportion to fan allegiance, and he was able to get a deal with CBSSN put together. He has also has been somewhat picky when it comes to expansion, as he held of on Mankato and ASU, so I think he would be resistant to adding a school like Augustana.

For the record, he was asked specifically about football during his press conference. Football would be great if it is with MVC schools. I think hockey could also be a possibility, and if he could swing that, I really think doing so would stabilize Summit membership in UST, UNO, and DU. Based on the demographics of UST students, I think hockey will be somewhat of a hot ticket, and if the Summit takes on NCHC membership it would become the best, if not the best, hockey conference in the country, and UST would have a much more difficult decision to make if they receive an MVC invite down the road, as they would basically have to sacrifice the program to do so. The same basically goes for UNO who seems to be a constant flight risk, and DU if they ever get an invite to a conference on the west coast. The Summit would obviously have greatly compounded marketing and branding power if Fenton could swing both a hockey and a football deal, or even just one of them, and it would go a long way when it comes to the perception, stability, and revenue potential of the league.

Summit Presser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xfrw3W0FZA
    The Rink Live Podcast - Josh Fenton talks about taking Summit League commissioner job, helping create the NCHC, challenges, successes with the conference -- Ep. 106https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR...AAAAHQAAAAAQAQ

Quote Originally Posted by North Side View Post
    Summit should look at Northern Colorado if UMKC leaves the Summit.
    Obviously... an original North Central Conference team from 1978 until we moved up to D1 and then they were in the Great West with us until going to the Big Sky, when they stupidly rejected us

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The Ohio Valley is at a crossroads too. If Murray State goes to the MVC they either need to add at least one D2 school or face being parted out to Summit, Southland, ASUN, and Big South. Not placing odds, but if we get Eastern Ill and SEMO to the Summit we have enough to sponsor football. That in turn collapses the MVFC, and who knows what happens then.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    The Ohio Valley is at a crossroads too. If Murray State goes to the MVC they either need to add at least one D2 school or face being parted out to Summit, Southland, ASUN, and Big South. Not placing odds, but if we get Eastern Ill and SEMO to the Summit we have enough to sponsor football. That in turn collapses the MVFC, and who knows what happens then.
    If they had Murray State they would still have enough but if you want to kill ticket sales even more put NDSU in that conferenece you are describing. It would be 50% pure horseshit. I will say over and over, unless it involves the MVC publics, I want nothing to do with Summit football. You want to kill our football program, stick it into that shithole you just described. SEMO and EIU. Give me FBS independence over that trash, hell give me the Big Sky. Larsen should make it clear to Fenton, if that is what he wants, we are gone the next day.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    If they had Murray State they would still have enough but if you want to kill ticket sales even more put NDSU in that conferenece you are describing. It would be 50% pure horseshit. I will say over and over, unless it involves the MVC publics, I want nothing to do with Summit football. You want to kill our football program, stick it into that shithole you just described. SEMO and EIU. Give me FBS independence over that trash, hell give me the Big Sky. Larsen should make it clear to Fenton, if that is what he wants, we are gone the next day.
    I get that you're FBS Or Bust No Matter the Price, but be realistic. Summit football means we control our own destiny. Right now the Summit is still at risk of collapse if certain schools leave, and that's not a theoretical question. Adding another sport solidifies everything and best case is enough to tempt some of the MVC publics to us. I agree that getting some MVC teams into the Summit is a massive benefit, but as things stand they have zero reason to do that. Throughout this whole realignment some posters have shown no ability to look at the larger picture.

I get that you're FBS Or Bust No Matter the Price, but be realistic. Summit football means we control our own destiny. Right now the Summit is still at risk of collapse if certain schools leave, and that's not a theoretical question. Adding another sport solidifies everything and best case is enough to tempt some of the MVC publics to us. I agree that getting some MVC teams into the Summit is a massive benefit, but as things stand they have zero reason to do that. Throughout this whole realignment some posters have shown no ability to look at the larger picture.
    Summit football ends whatever chance of a football only FBS we can hope for... If we are putting football in that league it damn well better be the best in FCS....puds like SEMO and EIU offer nothing of interest.

I am not completely FBS at all costs, I don't favor FBS indpendence unless the circumstances are extreme. Even in that scenario I would be calling the Big Sky before pulling the indy route.

That said, we should by no means be placing our marquee program in an above average at best FCS conference. Sorry but SDSU, Bubba and the puds does nothing for me..we would start hemorrhaging season ticket sales in that scenario. It locks us into absolute mediocrity.

Summit football ends whatever chance of a football only FBS we can hope for... If we are putting football in that league it damn well better be the best in FCS....puds like SEMO and EIU offer nothing of interest.
    We currently have a near 0% chance of an invite. Even if adding Summit football degrades that(which I doubt), it's still near 0%. SHSU was invited out of the Southland. Liberty and Jacksonville St were invited out of the ASUN. Quality of conference doesn't matter anywhere near as much as you think. We need the Summit to be stable more than anything else. I don't understand why you don't understand this. We need to approach FBS conferences from a position of strength, not desperation because our conference collapsed and we have no options.

We currently have a near 0% chance of an invite. Even if adding Summit football degrades that(which I doubt), it's still near 0%. SHSU was invited out of the Southland. Liberty and Jacksonville St were invited out of the ASUN. Quality of conference doesn't matter anywhere near as much as you think. We need the Summit to be stable more than anything else. I don't understand why you don't understand this. We need to approach FBS conferences from a position of strength, not desperation because our conference collapsed and we have no options.
    The Summit is fine right now, maybe UMKC or Omaha leaves but even that isn't a lock and there are OVC non-football schools that we could approach. No need to slam our football program even further under the bus than it already is with a declining FCS by putting it into a medicore conference as well. Absolutely zero reason to be making desperate moves right now that could hurt our football program long term.

If we lock our football program with all our other sports, we will need a full FBS offer. That is something that has to be considered.

The Summit is fine right now, maybe UMKC or Omaha leaves but even that isn't a lock and there are OVC non-football schools that we could approach. No need to slam our football program even further under the bus than it already is with a declining FCS by putting into a medicore conference as well. Absolutely zero reason to be making desperate moves right now that could hurt our football program long term.

If we lock our football program with all our other sports, we will need a full FBS offer. That is something that has to be considered.
    Seriously? Do you actually have no idea at all of the college sports landscape? SIU-E is the only non-football OVC and that's a hard no for Summit membership. Sure, the OVC football members aren't great but they're building blocks. It's clear we don't currently have what it takes to go FBS so I'm making a roadmap for getting there, which is vastly more than your constant complaining does.