Page 90 of 169 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Why? They would simply go to the WAC. They get a travel partner and an extra bus trip game per year too

If we're looking at Augustana, why not Metro Denver?
    What do you think of adding Moorhead state?
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Some people might not like hearing this but the Summit has turned into a very mediocre mid-major league. The league is filled with mediocre coaching and Douple's idea of a great expansion target is a school that will make the league weaker because it puts too many mouths into the same location.
    It's as good as it was when the Bison joined. It arguably is slightly better. It has a legitimate conference tournament. It has had some 12 and 13 seeds in the tournament. Having primary state universities rather than Oakland, IUPUI, etc. it's an improvement. It's still a one big league though and probably will be unless the Dakota teams step up and become legit mid-major teams like Wichita State, VCU, Murray State, etc.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    It's as good as it was when the Bison joined. It arguably is slightly better. It has a legitimate conference tournament. It has had some 12 and 13 seeds in the tournament. Having primary state universities rather than Oakland, IUPUI, etc. it's an improvement. It's still a one big league though and probably will be unless the Dakota teams step up and become legit mid-major teams like Wichita State, VCU, Murray State, etc.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    I don't think so. IUPUI had Ron Hunter, ORU had Sutton, Oakland had Kampe...Hell Fort Wayne had Dane Fife at one point. From a coaching perspective the league was in a great spot, both NDSU and SDSU also had a great coaching and still have decent coaches I guess. Plus schools like Oakland lived for basketball, they are a quality mid-major program. Hard to just lose that and nothing has filled that void.

Denver is a hockey school, Omaha is a hockey school, UND is a hockey school....It hurts all of them on a basketball front. ORU is trying to figure themselves out, WIU is in a persistent budget crisis and Fort Wayne doesn't want to be here. The league is not in a good spot, from a quality of basketball perspective it is as weak as it has ever been since we joined. The league needs to put a plan in place to get back and it needs to be a hell of a lot more than adding Augustana. The league needs to think beyond Sioux Falls and the Dakotas...it has maxed itself out on both.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

I don't want to be down on the league but we have a comissioner that has absolutely zero vision beyond Sioux Falls, I am not sure how healthy it is long term. Unless your goal it build a league that is geographically tight and mediocre.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

I don't want to be down on the league but we have a comissioner that has absolutely zero vision beyond Sioux Falls, I am not sure how healthy it is long term. Unless your goal it build a league that is geographically tight and mediocre.
    AMEN!!! this infatuation with everything centered in Sioux Falls is small time, ive said it over and over, yes it appears great that the tournament will have people because they only have to drive 15 minutes, which is great for the SD schools, but for any other team the fans don't give two shits about wasting money to go there. Just like Frisco I go because its usually nicer than here, and its in a large Metro with things to do/see that I cant here.

and only adding teams that are on I29??? WTF if GCU and NMSU show any interest you jump on them, not turn away to go after some junk D2 with hopes of finding money to transition to D1, or a complete shitshow in UMKC that already left because they thought they would make the tournament in a less competitive WAC. Again adding Augustana is a fucking joke
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    What do you think of adding Moorhead state?
    The idea they threaten us is quite laughable. If we beat them 80-0 as a D2 school, it would probably be 150-0 now. Basketball and other sports would be lopsided with the occasional win in basketball

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    AMEN!!! this infatuation with everything centered in Sioux Falls is small time, ive said it over and over, yes it appears great that the tournament will have people because they only have to drive 15 minutes, which is great for the SD schools, but for any other team the fans don't give two shits about wasting money to go there. Just like Frisco I go because its usually nicer than here, and its in a large Metro with things to do/see that I cant here.

and only adding teams that are on I29??? WTF if GCU and NMSU show any interest you jump on them, not turn away to go after some junk D2 with hopes of finding money to transition to D1, or a complete shitshow in UMKC that already left because they thought they would make the tournament in a less competitive WAC. Again adding Augustana is a fucking joke
    Maybe his plan is to wait for the WAC to collapse and then do an east/west format

As far as quality teams go, I think it's a wash from when we first joined. But it wasnt great then either. This conference needs a team that is as good or better than SDSU/NDSU and can push them. That's not Augie for sure. But I think the league is more stable than it was when we first started. Stable as it has the potential to keep a core group together

I'm wondering if the schools are the ones leading the opposition. Las Cruces New Mexico isnt Albuquerque. It's like in the middle of nowhere. I wonder how many programs view the travel costs for other non revenue sports as way too spendy? But the thing is, if teams are saving travel costs with 5 i29 schools, they could spend the savings on travel to elevate the league. I would guarantee WIU and Fort Wayne would vote no but I cant imagine why the other schools would oppose NMSU for travel

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

I had to go back and look at who was in the conference when we joined. Didn't Valpo leave right away? I dont remember playing them

2006 added Fort Wayne, NDSU and SDSU

The Mid-Continent Conference is celebrating its 25th Anniversary during the 2006-07 school year. Its current eight-member institutions include: Centenary College of Louisiana, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI), University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC), Oakland University, Oral Roberts University, Southern Utah University, Valparaiso University and Western Illinois University.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Why? They would simply go to the WAC. They get a travel partner and an extra bus trip game per year too

If we're looking at Augustana, why not Metro Denver?
    Well, exactly! When you put it that way, why are we looking at Augustana? Denver has standards, rightfully so. We should have standards as well.

Who says we don't?

I think the problem is that some fans interests don't align with the presidents. They blame it on Douple not getting it, when he's almost surely following marching orders.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."