Page 85 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I think it's more of a regional perception than a national perception. Someone in Florida has no idea how a school like Augustana compares to a school like Drake. They are just two small schools in the Midwest. I don't see the Summit adding Augustana as much of an impression nationally at all. But in the Dakotas and Minnesota people will have impressions of a school like Augustana both academically and athletically. That impression will largely influence their opinion of the Summit if they add a school like Augustana. The saturation of schools in the area will also have an impact as the same type of athletes will spread out to more schools.

Could a school like Augustana be competitive in a conference like the Summit if they chose to invest properly in staff and facilities? Absolutely. But does the reputation of the conference regionally take a hit based on the general impression of them as a school? Possibly.

The Summit leagues runs into the same if UN_ wins in the league.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It's just really difficult for me to think that the state of South Dakota could have 3 division 1 basketball teams, while Minnesota has one; Wyoming has one; Wisconsin has two.

I would be more inclined to invite Minnesota State Mankato to move up. At least it's a different state even if it is in the same recruiting footprint.
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post
    It's just really difficult for me to think that the state of South Dakota could have 3 division 1 basketball teams, while Minnesota has one; Wyoming has one; Wisconsin has two.

I would be more inclined to invite Minnesota State Mankato to move up. At least it's a different state even if it is in the same recruiting footprint.
    Wisconsin has four. And the fact that MN has one has always been, in my mind, a poor reflection on the state and its under-achieving and uninspiring state universities. That Mankato and St. Cloud still compete as DII schools screams small-time.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

I am not sure the number is a big deal as far as SD goes, it is just you have all three right in the same area fighting over the same market. Adding Aguie just brings nothing to table, they are just a body. The league owns the market already, it is just overkill and is going to end up hurting USD and SDSU a little bit.

I think MN has one DI school because of hockey, it gave the smaller schools something bigger to latch onto and they can't move beyond it. Even though college hockey isn't what it once was in the WCHA glory days, all the schools lost something that I'm not sure they can get back. If one school got some leadership with vision maybe they take the plunge but it seems like they missed the window and are content with being what they are.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post

This point gets brought up regularly in multiple outlets (news media, various local message boards, etc.), but neither Mankato nor St. Cloud has indicated even the slightest interest in making—or even having the ability to make—this jump even if they were invited to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    Wisconsin has four. And the fact that MN has one has always been, in my mind, a poor reflection on the state and its under-achieving and uninspiring state universities. That Mankato and St. Cloud still compete as DII schools screams small-time.
    Hurts the perception of the conference. With UND it's a flagship university who has a good name. Omaha you get a good sized market. Augustana has zero name and it's a medium sized market that will be over saturated. Stability and a guarantee of an auto bid and cost savings for travel is what they bring to the table. I would have been more excited for Rio Grande. At least its Texas.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Hurts the perception of the conference. With UND it's a flagship university who has a good name. Omaha you get a good sized market. Augustana has zero name and it's a medium sized market that will be over saturated. Stability and a guarantee of an auto bid and cost savings for travel is what they bring to the table. I would have been more excited for Rio Grande. At least its Texas.
    NMSU and GCU
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    NMSU and GCU
    They would totally change the footprint and perception of the conference. Both spend on athletics and draw incredibly well.

UMKC would stabilize the footprint, make Omaha, Denver, and ORU happy, and get us into Kansas City. Although attendance kind of sucks when they aren't doing well although in the same ballpark as Fort Wayne

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Saw one of those Midco stories this weekend where they recapped the history of the NCC and then brought it into present day talking about the Summit. They were absolutely giddy about the prospects of Augustana joining the Summit and presented it as a certainty to happen. I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post
    Saw one of those Midco stories this weekend where they recapped the history of the NCC and then brought it into present day talking about the Summit. They were absolutely giddy about the prospects of Augustana joining the Summit and presented it as a certainty to happen. I threw up in my mouth a little bit.
    A friend of mine who went to Augustana College told me she was at the MSUM vs Augustana game this year, and it was said on the radio pregame that Augustana was gone from the conference beginning next year to begin its transition to D1 and the Summit.

Sounded pretty definite its happening not an if it happens.