Page 45 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    That's part of the problem, IMO. Even with the unbelievable market penetration NDSU has, there is no earth shattering TV deal (that I'm aware of). Some of your home games are broadcast via a cable company headquartered in another state, and when they are they might get on ESPN3.

2 home games were on Midco and 8 on a NBC station, so 10 out of the 14 and two not on were not D1 games. If you wanted to see the games in Fargo for free without using the computer you could.. Its a start and I actually talked to quite a few people who don't go to games that caught part of the games even if on the 2nd NBC channel. Add in ESPN3 and we could watch every conference game except 2. The interest keeps building, year after year and it helped this year being in a building that was conducive to a TV broadcast.

That's part of the problem, IMO. Even with the unbelievable market penetration NDSU has, there is no earth shattering TV deal (that I'm aware of). Some of your home games are broadcast via a cable company headquartered in another state, and when they are they might get on ESPN3.

I'm not banging on NDSU, because SDSU is in the same (worse) boat. Its freaking Chicago. Any TV deal in Chicago is going to be worth 10 times the best possible TV deal in Sioux Falls or Fargo. I don't blame the MVC for chasing it, no matter how unlikely. 10 years ago nobody would have believed that the Summit League could host a successful conference tournament in Sioux Falls.
    Our TV deal sucks for basketball and it isn't anywhere near football.

We do all of our broadcasting in house. That means we buy the airtime but keep all the advertising profits.

I don't think we will see a big tv push until the arena is completed

With the killer ratings football draws, we could do a better job of leveraging thst to get more basketball games on statewide, which is a pretty big audience. I've always wanted to see us on FSN North

But we need some good non conference games to broadcast. People want to see good games.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Another reason for getting into certain markets is the development opportunity. This is very important for individual schools and I imagine a collection of schools in a conference appreciate it too. I heard it was one of the reasons the Alumni Association was happier we ended up in the Summit rather than the Big Sky. It provide better event opportunities for alumni as the team was traveling. If the MVC schools can host alumni in Chicago for events around the game, it provides them with a natural opportunity to touch alumni in that market.

The TV market is definitely more important for the P5 conferences and much less for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Another reason for getting into certain markets is the development opportunity. This is very important for individual schools and I imagine a collection of schools in a conference appreciate it too. I heard it was one of the reasons the Alumni Association was happier we ended up in the Summit rather than the Big Sky. It provide better event opportunities for alumni as the team was traveling. If the MVC schools can host alumni in Chicago for events around the game, it provides them with a natural opportunity to touch alumni in that market.

The TV market is definitely more important for the P5 conferences and much less for the rest.
    Also, recruiting. I'm sure ISU-r, Bradley, and even UNI/ISU-b/Drake like being able to tout the Chicago connection to recruits.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Also, recruiting. I'm sure ISU-r, Bradley, and even UNI/ISU-b/Drake like being able to tout the Chicago connection to recruits.
    Absolutely. NDSU and SDSU are going to have much more luck recruiting Wisconsin and Illinois if they can say they will play at Western Illinois, Illinois State, Northern Iowa, etc. on a regular basis. UND doesn't have that luxury since they are traveling in the other direction. It has to play a little factor on an athlete's decision.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Absolutely. NDSU and SDSU are going to have much more luck recruiting Wisconsin and Illinois if they can say they will play at Western Illinois, Illinois State, Northern Iowa, etc. on a regular basis. UND doesn't have that luxury since they are traveling in the other direction. It has to play a little factor on an athlete's decision.
    Yep. Kids in Chicago actually know the MVC teams and want to play for or against them.

It's not like we recruit heavily in any of the Summit markets. Infact our top 2 states, we don't even play teams from there. Omaha maybe a little but nobody in Omaha really cares about the Mavs.

MVC is perfect obviously. Personally I like the idea of the Horizon as well. The Milwaukee, Green Bay, and Chicago markets are big. Wouldnt hurt to get some exposure in Ohio and Michigan either. It's not like we recruit Denver or Tulsa.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Yep. Kids in Chicago actually know the MVC teams and want to play for or against them.

It's not like we recruit heavily in any of the Summit markets. Infact our top 2 states, we don't even play teams from there. Omaha maybe a little but nobody in Omaha really cares about the Mavs.

MVC is perfect obviously. Personally I like the idea of the Horizon as well. The Milwaukee, Green Bay, and Chicago markets are big. Wouldnt hurt to get some exposure in Ohio and Michigan either. It's not like we recruit Denver or Tulsa.
    That is the reason to set up a regular schedule with MVC and/or Horizon members. Playing 2 occ games each year with these conferences will help NDSU exposure to those markets. It will help expand our footprint. Commish Douple needs to get this done and all Summitt AD needs to push him into setting this up.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    That is the reason to set up a regular schedule with MVC and/or Horizon members. Playing 2 occ games each year with these conferences will help NDSU exposure to those markets. It will help expand our footprint. Commish Douple needs to get this done and all Summitt AD needs to push him into setting this up.

until our RPI increases we will not get such games, reason IMO we dont get shots to play many Horizon, MVC MWC schools regularly is although they are in tougher conferences they cannot afford to play RPI dragging teams regularly as their conferences still do have bottom feeders they are forced to play.

so they try and fill with High majors and other teams that win or lose will increase or at least hold their RPI and SOS up.

just my opinion but in our location if we had top 50 year after year RPI we would see more games with UNI, WSU, Creighton, Wyoming, Minnesota, Iowa Etc...

maybe im wrong but this is what I see, and its the same thing thats happening in FBS
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    until our RPI increases we will not get such games, reason IMO we dont get shots to play many Horizon, MVC MWC schools regularly is although they are in tougher conferences they cannot afford to play RPI dragging teams regularly as their conferences still do have bottom feeders they are forced to play.

so they try and fill with High majors and other teams that win or lose will increase or at least hold their RPI and SOS up.

just my opinion but in our location if we had top 50 year after year RPI we would see more games with UNI, WSU, Creighton, Wyoming, Minnesota, Iowa Etc...

maybe im wrong but this is what I see, and its the same thing thats happening in FBS
    The catch 22. Our rpi would be higher if we played better competition but better competition won't play us because our rpi isn't higher.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    The catch 22.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    I am going to try this at the bar tonight.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.