Page 60 of 169 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Augie brings nothing to the league, they'll hurt SDSU and USD by putting a team in a market that can't support 3 DI schools.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    They'll hurt SDSU and USD by putting a team in a market that can't support 3 DI schools.
    This is my biggest concern, and I honestly don't understand why so few see it this way. True, they are good in baseball, but 3 DI teams in SD??????? A few people down there seem just a wee bit drunk on the Sioux Falls joose (or whatever that crap is called). And football? Holy crap ...

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    This is my biggest concern, and I honestly don't understand why so few see it this way. True, they are good in baseball, but 3 DI teams in SD??????? A few people down there seem just a wee bit drunk on the Sioux Falls joose (or whatever that crap is called). And football? Holy crap ...
    I think they would have to play non-scholarship football or drop the sport...there is no way NDSU, SDSU, USD, UND and UNI are going to let Augie in the MVFC. Recruiting is fierce enough as it is, Augie will just become a leach.

If Augie gets into the Summit then USD and SDSU have spineless admins.

Didn't listen to the podcast but is he saying Augie could go D1 including football? Holy crap. No way. I suppose he is talking about non-scholarship Pioneer League. I also hope they don't expect USD or SDSU to schedule them often, and never in Sioux Falls.

It would hurt both USD and SDSU because the tiny school will struggle and will siphon off some of the limited corporate resources we have in South Dakota from USD and SDSU. USD has the option to focus more on the Sioux City and NW IA market for corporate sponsorship where SDSU is naturally cut off from that, so there is that.

Political suicide for either USD or SDSU to oppose Augie to the Summit but I see no reason why either school should vote for them and plenty of reasons to vote against them. I don't know why the NoDak schools would want them either. I don't know why Denver, ORU, or any other school would want them other than they would be a warm body because other than that they don't really bring much to the table.

I think the other Summit schools would just follow SDSU and USD since Augie would by far have the biggest effect on them.

For schools like ORU and Denver Augie has zero impact on them. It has much less of an impact on NDSU and UND since Sioux Falls isn't really an area we target much. That said if SDSU and USD didn't want it to happen, it wouldn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    I think the other Summit schools would just follow SDSU and USD since Augie would by far have the biggest effect on them.

For schools like ORU and Denver Augie has zero impact on them. It has much less of an impact on NDSU and UND since Sioux Falls isn't really an area we target much. That said if SDSU and USD didn't want it to happen, it wouldn't happen.
    So you are saying we should quietly call in some favors behind the scenes to keep this from happening. If Sanford ever found out there would be hell to pay. I have not heard a single USD person who is for this. Not saying there are a lot of Yotes in active opposition, just saying nobody is yippity skippy over the idea of Augustana. They do not move the needle at all.

I wouldn't say Augustana has no impact on the other schools. Do you think Denver believes that Augustana is a similar profile school? Why would they want to associate with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post
    Didn't listen to the podcast but is he saying Augie could go D1 including football? Holy crap. No way. I suppose he is talking about non-scholarship Pioneer League. I also hope they don't expect USD or SDSU to schedule them often, and never in Sioux Falls.

It would hurt both USD and SDSU because the tiny school will struggle and will siphon off some of the limited corporate resources we have in South Dakota from USD and SDSU. USD has the option to focus more on the Sioux City and NW IA market for corporate sponsorship where SDSU is naturally cut off from that, so there is that.

Political suicide for either USD or SDSU to oppose Augie to the Summit but I see no reason why either school should vote for them and plenty of reasons to vote against them. I don't know why the NoDak schools would want them either. I don't know why Denver, ORU, or any other school would want them other than they would be a warm body because other than that they don't really bring much to the table.
    Please explain that comment. I live in Sioux Falls, and would think it is the opposite risk.

To clarify, Kelby is a big fish, but you risk major alienation of your other donors. (I am assuming your donors are paying attention.) I can't possibly think of something worse for SDSU and USD.
    Last edited by THEsocalledfan; 06-08-2018 at 07:27 PM.

I listened to the interview fully and when football came up, Kelby's enthusiasm became much more guarded. It seemed like he understood scholarship football wasn't going to happen.

Yote 53...Denver would probably be fine with it, Augie is a private school with a good academic rep. They left the WAC because the league added schools that had a poor academic pedigree. Most presidents think more along academic lines. They also value relationships and stability, so if the SD schools didn't want it to happen, they would respect their wish.

Obviously the SD schools are in a tough spot having to stand up to a big donor who is on a power trip but the ball is in their court.

Just dont invite them if it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Please explain that comment. I live in Sioux Falls, and would think it is the opposite risk.

To clarify, Kelby is a big fish, but you risk major alienation of your other donors. (I am assuming your donors are paying attention.) I can't possibly think of something worse for SDSU and USD.
    I would think we would alienate donors, particularly Sanford who is a major donor, by blocking Augie. Sure, there are the rank and file Yotes that make a lot of smaller donations that oppose adding Augie but Sanford is big money. With regards to politics, Stephanie Herseth Sandlin is the president at Augie. Very politically connected.