Page 124 of 169 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 1685

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-from-the-fbs/

“Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard warned of an "ice age" if the 2020 college football season isn't played. As bad as March Madness' cancellation was for schools, the shortfall was only a fraction of what football delivers: typically 80% of athletic budgets in a $6.5 billion industry.”
    Probably true. Schools opening for practice seems like a positive step, tho
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonJD View Post
    Summit League says NO to Augustana.
    So this means that St. Thomas is in and got whatever waivers they needed?
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post
    So this means that St. Thomas is in and got whatever waivers they needed?
    No. St. Thomas is in, but the waiver hasn't been granted yet(though the conference is confident it will). The decision on the waiver(or a new rule for DIIIs in general) will be voted on later this month.

UST issue goes before the NCAA this week.

Have we heard if the Summit is considering going to Fri/Sat games once this all shakes out? Depending on how the conference pairs up the schools, the longest trip between the two could be around 6 hours(UNO/WIU). It would make a lot of sense and save a ton of money.

I initially thought UST should pair with WIU, but I think they'd be better with DU. Seems a bit strange to pair the far western school with the second easternmost school, but Denver to Minneapolis flights would be plentiful, cheap, and only about 2hrs in the air.

Maybe do this:
    NDSU/UND - about 1.5hr by car
    SDSU/USD - about 2hr by car
    ORU/UMKC - about 4hr by car
    WIU/UNO - about 6hr by car
    DU/UST - about 2hr by air

St. Thomas is basically in. The NCAA committee that met today decided to start working on new legislation for DIII to DI moves. That new policy will be written up over the next few months and voted on next April. However, the committee also specifically said that they would be receptive to a formal waiver request from St. Thomas and the Summit League to allow UST to start right away and not have to wait for another vote.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...ome-di-members

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    St. Thomas is basically in. The NCAA committee that met today decided to start working on new legislation for DIII to DI moves. That new policy will be written up over the next few months and voted on next April. However, the committee also specifically said that they would be receptive to a formal waiver request from St. Thomas and the Summit League to allow UST to start right away and not have to wait for another vote.

Hammer . . . assuming STU is accepted (a safe assumption), what is the Summit start date and DI transition timetable? Is this correct?

Officially in the League: Fall 2021
    DI transition Years 5: 2021/22 thru 2025/26
    Full DI eligible: Fall 2026?

Wouldn’t they be wise to start their transition right away in the fall?

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    Hammer . . . assuming STU is accepted (a safe assumption), what is the Summit start date and DI transition timetable? Is this correct?

Officially in the League: Fall 2021
    DI transition Years 5: 2021/22 thru 2025/26
    Full DI eligible: Fall 2026?

Wouldn’t they be wise to start their transition right away in the fall?
    I would think so, but I don't remember what their plans were before all the COVID delays. I thought I heard recently that they had two full seasons left in their current conference before they were kicked out, but I don't know if UST wanted to move faster than that if possible.

And the current DII-DI transition is four years, so UST might be held to that instead of the five-year plan they are proposing for regular DIII move-ups. That could put their first tournament-eligible season as 2025-26.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I would think so, but I don't remember what their plans were before all the COVID delays. I thought I heard recently that they had two full seasons left in their current conference before they were kicked out, but I don't know if UST wanted to move faster than that if possible.

And the current DII-DI transition is four years, so UST might be held to that instead of the five-year plan they are proposing for regular DIII move-ups. That could put their first tournament-eligible season as 2025-26.
    I think their Summit start date is fall 2021. That would be 1 more year in DIII, is the plan. It might take them that year to get more DI schedules in place, but it’s a long road as Bison fan know well.

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This is great news! I would love to see them up and running in Fall 2020 as ridiculous as that would be.
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up going like this:

1. St. Thomas asks for a waiver and gets one.
    2. The NCAA votes no on allowing D3s to move up in April 2021.