Page 94 of 169 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybooboo View Post
    I would Bet money USD and SDSU are and will Block Augie...
    Will be interesting to see what happens if they do.

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    Augie is of zero interest private school that interests me is st Thomas we have a big enough South Dakota presence
    If they end up getting a waiver to go straight to D1, it definitely would present a new challenge for Augie. Part of the appeal of joining the Summit as an Augie fan is knowing we would be a private school in a great community, which not every Summit school can offer. But knowing we would have a competing private school with a massive budget in a significantly larger community with a direct connection to a key recruiting pool would definitely make it more challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Will be interesting to see what happens if they do.
    what could possibly happen?? Its a Private school
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

I'm not pumped about adding UMKC but on the positive side, our conference is now stable and it's great for travel partners which will make for a better home schedule. A few years ago it was a major worry that we could lose our auto bid. Softball needed this but baseball is still only at 6 teams and 5 if and when IPFW leaves. As far as recruiting goes, seems like Kansas City is an area we target for all sports so it can't hurt to be in the market more.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    what could possibly happen?? Its a Private school
    From everything I've read and heard in radio interviews, at least one of SDSU/USD's larger corporate sponsors, if not their largest, appears to have a strong interest in bringing Augie to Division I and wouldn't be thrilled with those administrations if they blocked Augie. But I could be mistaken. I don't have the insider info/connections at Augie like some of you guys on here have with your athletic department. Maybe it's as simple as them voting no and Augie staying D2 and everybody moves on.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybooboo View Post
    Someone has to want to add FW, and then IF they leave maybe Augie is targeted, I still would like to see them at least make a run at NMSU, but that ship has probably sailed in the Summit offices
    I just think NMSU would be a hard sell for schools with lesser resources. Despite it being an excellent school, it's nowhere near the geographic footprint of the conference.

Here are distances from some of the other Summit schools:
    PFW: 1544 miles
    WIU: 1213 miles
    UND: 1449 miles
    NDSU: 1371 miles
    SDSU: 1184 miles

Wouldn't be that big a deal if travel was for basketball only, but add in all the other non-revenue sports, and the number of extra long trips adds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks02 View Post
    I just think NMSU would be a hard sell for schools with lesser resources. Despite it being an excellent school, it's nowhere near the geographic footprint of the conference.

Here are distances from some of the other Summit schools:
    PFW: 1544 miles
    WIU: 1213 miles
    UND: 1449 miles
    NDSU: 1371 miles
    SDSU: 1184 miles

Wouldn't be that big a deal if travel was for basketball only, but add in all the other non-revenue sports, and the number of extra long trips adds up.
    They have ten womens sports and since we wouldn't get their football program, the only mens sports would be Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Tennis. Talk about a huge drain for the entire athletics budget. So they only revenue sport would be basketball.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    They have ten womens sports and since we wouldn't get their football program, the only mens sports would be Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Tennis. Talk about a huge drain for the entire athletics budget. So they only revenue sport would be basketball.
    It would be similar to when we joined and southern Utah was in the summit

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    It would be similar to when we joined and southern Utah was in the summit
    Now if we could only get them for basketball.. hell yeah! But the odds of that is probably zero.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    We just added back one of the worst athletic programs in all of Division I and the rubes here cheer. Honestly, we may as well add Augy now along with anyone else from the NCC who wants to join. This move signals that the Summit is a low major conference with no aspirations to move out of the cellar. What a sad day for Bison Nation.
    So the Summit league brings back a former member, solidifying the conference, making it a 10 team team league with balanced schedules and travel partners...and its a sad day? Wow, you could not be more wrong. What is your suggestion then? For NDSU to join the Big 10? Big 12? Having a conference that has members close is a good thing. Ask und when they logged in millions of frequent flyer miles in the big sky. I guess we should just be an independent since we cant belittle ourselves with being in the lowly summit. Bison fans are great fans, and I’m sure you are too. But your mindset on this is what makes Bison fans look bad.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN