Page 96 of 169 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit74 View Post
    You are right. That big donor is Sanford in its various corporate and individual components. No way SDSU or USD or I an guessing NDSU would stand in the way.
    I think that's where UND and a few other come in and do the dirty work for us. USD and the XDSUs can be publicly supportive and vote for Augie in order to keep those relationships but privately ask UND, Omaha, Etc. to block Augie. At least that's what we should do. There isn't enough room in the Dakotas for another D1, much less the little runt Augustana. They'll just be a drag on the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post
    I think that's where UND and a few other come in and do the dirty work for us. USD and the XDSUs can be publicly supportive and vote for Augie in order to keep those relationships but privately ask UND, Omaha, Etc. to block Augie. At least that's what we should do. There isn't enough room in the Dakotas for another D1, much less the little runt Augustana. They'll just be a drag on the conference.
    God it feels weird when we agree on stuff.

Wonder what it feels like to basically have to blackmail your way into a conference.
    Remember Hunters Safety-Treat Every Hunter as if He Were Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 76 View Post
    God it feels weird when we agree on stuff.

Wonder what it feels like to basically have to blackmail your way into a conference.
    I can't speak for everyone connected to Augie, but I for one sure feel awful about it. Knowing that it really bothers USD and SDSU fans riddles me with guilt, and I sincerely hope we don't try to make a move that builds our university's credibility nationwide and elevates our program to a higher stage like all of the other formerly D2 schools around here aspired to do. If it's a decision that will make other fanbases upset in any way, I would just feel awful. I know that none of the fans from schools in the Summit League feel good when they upset fans of other schools, so we better make sure we feel the appropriate amount of guilt for doing what it takes to get into the Summit League.

I'm going to go write a letter to our administration right now and let them know that they better reconsider this decision if it is going to rub some fans of other teams the wrong way.

Denny Sanford doesn't blackmail, he influences.... like the dirty way he made his money. on backs of poor desperate people grabbing his $300 credit limit cards at 22% interest rates!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    I can't speak for everyone connected to Augie, but I for one sure feel awful about it. Knowing that it really bothers USD and SDSU fans riddles me with guilt, and I sincerely hope we don't try to make a move that builds our university's credibility nationwide and elevates our program to a higher stage like all of the other formerly D2 schools around here aspired to do. If it's a decision that will make other fanbases upset in any way, I would just feel awful. I know that none of the fans from schools in the Summit League feel good when they upset fans of other schools, so we better make sure we feel the appropriate amount of guilt for doing what it takes to get into the Summit League.
    I'm going to go write a letter to our administration right now and let them know that they better reconsider this decision if it is going to rub some fans of other teams the wrong way.
    Getting into a conference on your own merits is one thing. If Sanford is strong-arming Universities on your behalf that is quite another.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    Getting into a conference on your own merits is one thing. If Sanford is strong-arming Universities on your behalf that is quite another.
    I know. Usually I try not to be overly combative on here because I prefer to not have everybody dislike me or my alma mater. Or at least not dislike my alma mater because of me. I just think that, in spite of the fact that it will probably bother some people, I don't think anyone on Augie's side is going to look back in 10 years and think "Yeah, we made it and we are successful now, but it's only because we blackmailed our way in."

Either we will be winning as a program and making the Summit League better, or we will be struggling and have to drop back down to D2 or something. How we got in isn't really going to change what happens.

I know. Usually I try not to be overly combative on here because I prefer to not have everybody dislike me or my alma mater. Or at least not dislike my alma mater because of me. I just think that, in spite of the fact that it will probably bother some people, I don't think anyone on Augie's side is going to look back in 10 years and think "Yeah, we made it and we are successful now, but it's only because we blackmailed our way in."

Either we will be winning as a program and making the Summit League better, or we will be struggling and have to drop back down to D2 or something. How we got in isn't really going to change what happens.
    And while you are struggling you are siphoning off resources from the conference.

Augie brings nothing more than a cheap bus trip and a program that bows to a sugar daddy.

If and when the conference starts adding programs the size and funding of Augie, in geographical areas that do not bring a major upside to the conference it would be time for us to seriously consider moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    And while you are struggling you are siphoning off resources from the conference.

Augie brings nothing more than a cheap bus trip and a program that bows to a sugar daddy.

If and when the conference starts adding programs the size and funding of Augie, in geographical areas that do not bring a major upside to the conference it would be time for us to seriously consider moving on.
    If we are struggling.

I apologize for not having a better grasp on this, so please understand that I'm asking this with sincerity and not sarcasm. Would you or someone else on here be willing to explain how, if we aren't winning as a program, we would be siphoning off Summit League resources? Isn't that generally what the worst teams in the conference do every year anyway? Is Western Illinois dramatically improving the conference's standing or resources year in and year out? Again, asking sincerely, not sarcastically. This is not my area of expertise. Hopefully it is the area of expertise for our administration though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post

I for one want to see us move on regardless..but adding a small private in Sioux Falls will only make me hope we speed up looking elsewhere.
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

If we are struggling.

I apologize for not having a better grasp on this, so please understand that I'm asking this with sincerity and not sarcasm. Would you or someone else on here be willing to explain how, if we aren't winning as a program, we would be siphoning off Summit League resources? Isn't that generally what the worst teams in the conference do every year anyway? Is Western Illinois dramatically improving the conference's standing or resources year in and year out? Again, asking sincerely, not sarcastically. This is not my area of expertise. Hopefully it is the area of expertise for our administration though.
    Western Illinois was here before we even became a part of the Summit. If they were coming to the conference today would I be in favor of adding them, nope I wouldn't. If we are going to add someone just for shits and giggles the Summit should be looking at the a Twin Cities which is a area that would still be minimal travel costs for the whole conference as a whole and where there are many alumni from multiple teams that are already in the Summit.

What happens if the Sugerdaddy gets mad at the administration and says the wallet isn't going to open for a bit (it happens we watched it to the school to the North). Small Alumni base to draw from, small enrollment to get increased fees from. I don't want anything to do with a program that has no history with the Summit and that if things go wrong is going to be crying that we can't afford this or can't afford that or we are not going to fully fund this or fully fund that.