Page 36 of 169 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

The Indiana schools are in our region and plus Indiana is a talent rich state for recruiting. They are an asset, I agree we don't need all bus trips.

I would love to add a school in the east to make them happier but there aren't really any good candidates unless you want to look into D2.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    The Indiana schools are in our region and plus Indiana is a talent rich state for recruiting. They are an asset, I agree we don't need all bus trips.

I would love to add a school in the east to make them happier but there aren't really any good candidates unless you want to look into D2.
    Unless we can get an OVC school into the MVFC and their other sports in the Summit I don't see east as an option either

I could see the MVC trying to get a FB school in so they could get their other sports
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

To my knowledge we have never recruited Indiana. Nobody knows who either of those schools are. When you are recruiting student athletes, your selling the conference. I can pretty much guarantee that it sounds more impressive to say we play teams like New Mexico State than something like IUPUI or IPFW. What does that stand for?

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    To my knowledge we have never recruited Indiana. Nobody knows who either of those schools are. When you are recruiting student athletes, your selling the conference. I can pretty much guarantee that it sounds more impressive to say we play teams like New Mexico State than something like IUPUI or IPFW. What does that stand for?
    Illinois isn't far from Indiana. It is good recruiting ground and both schools have had solid teams while we have been in the Summit.

NMSU will also never join the Summit, the school is an hour from Mexcio. Just too far from the footprint.

If you want to play more prestigious schools than you should want to join a new conference.

Not being mean but I believe you are the only person I've ever heard say they would be impressed by New Mexico St
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Their basketball program is pretty good but they are just so far away.

Denver isn't close but they can fly direct into Fargo, Omaha, Sioux Falls, Tulsa and Indy. NMSU has to bus to their airport and then they would be looking at a lot of connecting flights. It would be like UND in the Big Sky but at least NMSU has athletic programs that are worth a damn.

Fair point, but are the 2 Indiana schools much better for travel ? What about the Big Fluffy? Bus trips are for D2. (OK that was kind of lame but how many D1 Conferences bus to all their games?)
    With few exceptions, the MVC is a bus league. I'd wager most of the mid-major and low-major conferences out east are similar. Just saying.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Their basketball program is pretty good but they are just so far away.

Denver isn't close but they can fly direct into Fargo, Omaha, Sioux Falls, Tulsa and Indy. NMSU has to bus to their airport and then they would be looking at a lot of connecting flights. It would be like UND in the Big Sky but at least NMSU has athletic programs that are worth a damn.
    Good point on the direct flights.

The question is do you sacrifice travel for quality?

Its far indeed but the WAC right now is basically the Great West when they really sucked. Right now New Mexico State travels way the heck to Chicago, Missouri, and Seattle . Then you have Bakersville which is 900 miles away.Edinburg, Texas? 826 miles. Orem Utah? 12 hours. Grand Canyon State is pretty much the only bus trip.

Doesn't take away from the fact that their conference flat out sucks. Its the bottom of the barrel and what's crazy is their fans still pack the arena playing teams that are way less known and impressive that the Summit, and that says a lot considering we don't have a ton of star power either. But Denver Oral Robers, NDSU and SDSU probably have a bigger name than than most WAC teams. Grand Canyon State?

Could be like when Davis and Poly were in the Great West. Bad fit but games both fan bases looked forward to.

BTW the Indiana schools average 600 and 900 fans per game. New Mexico State almost averages 6k. It's good for the league. Players want to play in front of good sized crowds

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Dan Majerle coaches at grand canyon university
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Strommer10 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I have no problem with having both Indiana schools, but having just IUPUI won't be ideal if IPFW does leave. As far as the possibility of UMKC coming back to the Summit, they are in the middle of the conference footprint which is a plus. Adding Kansas City would put the conference at 10 teams, which is a good number (18 round-robin conference games). If the Indiana's do leave, the conference would be at 8 teams which should be the minimum IMO.

The downside of these moves is the Summit loses a baseball program (if IPFW leaves) since Kansas City does not have baseball. New Mexico State's only true benefit is that they do have baseball.