Page 67 of 169 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybooboo View Post
    Your a private school, more people live in the old folks home in Grand Forks than your enrollment, Hate me or whatever Augie brings ZERO to lift our league up.., shitty addition period!
    Disagreeing with you on a topic doesn't mean I hate you. Sometimes disagreement is simply disagreement.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Disagreeing with you on a topic doesn't mean I hate you. Sometimes disagreement is simply disagreement.
    HE HATE ME- Rod Smart
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

And, just to be clear, just because I agree with somebody on a topic, it does not mean that I do not hate them (because I probably do.) In fact, I'm more likely to like a poster if I disagree with their stupid opinions. Of course, the difference between a 99% and a 98.6% chance of hate is fairly insignificant.

It's probably safest just to assume that everybody on the internet hates everybody else.

Should this post be in purple? Maybe...
    Last edited by tony; 07-05-2018 at 04:12 PM. Reason: redid the math

The only thing adding Augie does from a SD school perspective is provide a warm body to the league and a leech on the corporate sponsorship dollars available. The enrollment is hilariously too low to be a DI institution and the room to expand enrollment to become a proper one without becoming an online diploma mill is non existent. Augie will become even more irrelevant when they start getting Molly whopped and struggle to financially keep their heads above water.

As to the news coverage, there’s no reason to pimp out a DII school at the level of a DI school with the success that SDSU or even USeD has had, especially when the bulk of your readers follow those schools. Sioux Falls media is a joke, they pay more attention to hs teams and as much attention to DII schools in general. It’s absolutely mind boggling to me. I once asked the local ESPN dude about more SDSU coverage and his response was “we just had Stig on”. It was a 5 minute interview and they were back to everything else. Sioux Falls media and a lot of Sioux Falls people in general act like SDSU and USD should be grateful to them for even bothering to cover them. Absolutely bonkers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Hunters Safety-Treat Every Hunter as if He Were Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by thumper 76 View Post
    as to the news coverage, there’s no reason to pimp out a dii school at the level of a di school with the success that sdsu or even used has had, especially when the bulk of your readers follow those schools. Sioux falls media is a joke, they pay more attention to hs teams and as much attention to dii schools in general. It’s absolutely mind boggling to me. I once asked the local espn dude about more sdsu coverage and his response was “we just had stig on”. It was a 5 minute interview and they were back to everything else. Sioux falls media and a lot of sioux falls people in general act like sdsu and usd should be grateful to them for even bothering to cover them. Absolutely bonkers.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^

Wofford and Augie are the same size....just sayin'
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    So you are saying size does not matter?
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 76 View Post
    The only thing adding Augie does from a SD school perspective is provide a warm body to the league and a leech on the corporate sponsorship dollars available. The enrollment is hilariously too low to be a DI institution and the room to expand enrollment to become a proper one without becoming an online diploma mill is non existent. Augie will become even more irrelevant when they start getting Molly whopped and struggle to financially keep their heads above water.

As to the news coverage, there’s no reason to pimp out a DII school at the level of a DI school with the success that SDSU or even USeD has had, especially when the bulk of your readers follow those schools. Sioux Falls media is a joke, they pay more attention to hs teams and as much attention to DII schools in general. It’s absolutely mind boggling to me. I once asked the local ESPN dude about more SDSU coverage and his response was “we just had Stig on”. It was a 5 minute interview and they were back to everything else. Sioux Falls media and a lot of Sioux Falls people in general act like SDSU and USD should be grateful to them for even bothering to cover them. Absolutely bonkers.
    You do understand that I agree with you on this, right? My whole point is that if going D1 and managing to be successful helps us be more worthy of coverage, that's a major plus for us. I'm not arguing that the coverage should be equal as it stands today. Not sure how I could make that point any more clearly.

As far as how they plan to avoid getting molly-whopped, my hope is that by investing in athletics to a degree they never did back in "the old NCC days," Augie won't find itself in the position it was in throughout the 90s and early 2000s. Other things would really have to go well too, obviously, but I think it's a different era. Then again, I am not a fortune teller, just someone who's not dead set on only seeing Augie as the version of itself that existed in 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    That is like saying another team that should not be in D1 is a great reason why another team that does not belong in D1 should be D1.

With that said, we have a larger enrollment than Notre Dame, so we should play as a FBS independent, with a scheduling alliance with the B1G, and get a free pass into the CFP if we have a good year.....

You are saying that by going D1 Augie will be worthy of more coverage. Thumper's point is why do you need to go D1? You already get pretty much equal coverage the way it is as a D2 school. That's the point many of us are trying to make, Sioux Falls media coverage is mind boggling. They do a lot of HS sports coverage, which I guess is good, but when it comes to Augie and USF they get coverage on par with USD and SDSU, which is crazy.

As to the question of whether a D1 Augie would be successful? I highly doubt it. First reason is that it appears Augie is going D1 for all the wrong reasons. The driving reason is so that Sioux Falls can have a D1 school to call their own. Reason #2 is so the local SF media has a SF school to cover at the SLT. If the driving force behind a D1 move is so that Augie can be repped at the SLT then this move will fail and fail miserably.

Augustana does not have the enrollment to provide the institutional support necessary, they don't have the resources to put the necessary support in place, they don't have the endowment necessary to sustain success. You realize that moving to D1 is a lot more than just adding some scholarships and declaring yourself D1, right? As much as you need to put into adding scholarships you also need to put in just as much in support and compliance personnel.

Moving to D1 is something that goes beyond the athletic department, it has a transformational effect on the entire institution, as the 4 Dakota schools that have made the transition have come to realize. I hear some of that speak coming out of Augustana, about how athletics are the front porch to the school and a means to showcase it. I hear some of that speak, but not enough. I also don't hear much about how a move like this fits into the overall mission of Augustana. For the 4 Dakota schools it was clear, it was done because our peer institutions were Division 1 schools, and a move to D1 would help to increase the school profile and drive enrollment increases, which has happened at all 4 schools.

I don't see that happening at Augustana. I see some people in Sioux Falls and the SF media wanting their own team. I see Augustana thinking that because they have had some success now in D2 that they are ready to move to D1. Reality is that the only reason Augie has had success in D2 is because the 4 Dakota schools moved out of that division, if the Vikings move to D1 they will back to bottom feeder status, it will just be as a more expensive bottom feeder.

ETA: It would be great that if instead of debating this on Bisonville, GoYotes, SiouxSports, SDSUFans, or AGS we could all go to the appropriate place, the Augustana message board, and have this discussion there.