Page 105 of 169 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1685

Thread: Summit Expansion?

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    For MOST people, this has no value on their degree or their value in the marketplace. In the corporate world, once you're a few years into the job all that matters is that you checked the college degree box, how well you perform and what value you create in the organization. Degrees don't get you into leadership roles, your performance does. I recognize that for some people (highly specialized technical skills, academia, probably others) things are different. But I think for most people, it doesn't really matter. It's more of an ego thing.
    Completely separate from the athletic discussion but there are definitely opportunities created based on the school you go to. The student has to taste advantage of those opportunities though. I've worked for several companies that go to specific schools for new hires or interns. It's possible for someone outside of those schools too be considered but you have to work harder to get your foot in the door. A couple companies have had leadership programs where you are hired into a 2-year rotation throughout the business and then placed in a senior manager or director role right out of business school. Someone like me would have to work there 20 years and prove myself to get to that role. They get there 2 years out of grad school. That's a huge difference. And they only looked at the top 10-15 grad schools for those candidates. Where and how you start can have a huge impact on the trajectory of your career. But you also have to take advantage of that opportunity and benefit.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

"It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Completely separate from the athletic discussion but there are definitely opportunities created based on the school you go to. The student has to taste advantage of those opportunities though. I've worked for several companies that go to specific schools for new hires or interns. It's possible for someone outside of those schools too be considered but you have to work harder to get your foot in the door. A couple companies have had leadership programs where you are hired into a 2-year rotation throughout the business and then placed in a senior manager or director role right out of business school. Someone like me would have to work there 20 years and prove myself to get to that role. They get there 2 years out of grad school. That's a huge difference. And they only looked at the top 10-15 grad schools for those candidates. Where and how you start can have a huge impact on the trajectory of your career. But you also have to take advantage of that opportunity and benefit.

Interesting, I'm sure it's a little different everywhere. I've worked for two separate companies that hire interns and new hires from a few specific schools but that doesn't mean they didn't hire from other sources as well. Beyond that, to the extend the school helped them get in, that was about it. It was all about performance after that.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

The two moderators are correct. Research stature matters.

It generates local commerce (see Aldevron), it attracts undergraduates and tuition $$ (see UG enrollment back when we were R1),* and it attracts move-up invites in athletics.

It’s debatable whether NDSU is interested in the latter, but to be fair, much of that is beyond NDSU’s control, being more dependent on the dismal state of ND higher ed.

For the record (I’ve said this many times, so I apologize) I’ve come to view NDSU’s current position as equivalent, if not better than, most G5 possibilities.

*NDSU is currently getting fined big bucks for every drop in enrollment. I don't know what genius came up with that model, but they should be fired ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    The two moderators are correct. Research stature matters.

It generates local commerce (see Aldevron), it attracts undergraduates and tuition $$ (see UG enrollment back when we were R1),* and it attracts move-up invites in athletics.

It’s debatable whether NDSU is interested in the latter, but to be fair, much of that is beyond NDSU’s control, being more dependent on the dismal state of ND higher ed.

For the record (I’ve said this many times, so I apologize) I’ve come to view NDSU’s current position as equivalent, if not better than, most G5 possibilities.

*NDSU is currently getting fined big bucks for every drop in enrollment. I don't know what genius came up with that model, but they should be fired ASAP.
    Ndsu enrollment is dropping???
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Ndsu enrollment is dropping???
    Very slightly. About 0.5% per year for 3 years, then an almost 4% drop last year. But the drops have been enough that it's costing money. More, it's costing opportunities.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Very slightly. About 0.5% per year for 3 years, then an almost 4% drop last year. But the drops have been enough that it's costing money. More, it's costing opportunities.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ick. Not good. Bit surprising too.
    College of Business Alumnus

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    Interesting, I'm sure it's a little different everywhere. I've worked for two separate companies that hire interns and new hires from a few specific schools but that doesn't mean they didn't hire from other sources as well. Beyond that, to the extend the school helped them get in, that was about it. It was all about performance after that.
    Performance yes but when you start 3 or 4 levels ahead of me it's a huge head start and we aren't being compared on the same things regarding performance.

On your example too your employers went to specific schools for interns. Let's just say that was U of M, Hamline, and St. Thomas. They are top schools so many other companies go there as well. You are a top student and proactive so you get multiple offers for the top internships. A friend at St. Cloud State is also interested so they apply but their application is sitting on a like until they get done with the primary schools. You may still get an opportunity if you have a connection but you'll be coming in after the best opportunities are taken if you get one.

So you can be successful no matter where you go. There are certain schools and programs that will create opportunities not readily available at other schools but you still have to take advantage of that benefit. Graduate school and research programs also separate the type of university it is.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Performance yes but when you start 3 or 4 levels ahead of me it's a huge head start and we aren't being compared on the same things regarding performance.

On your example too your employers went to specific schools for interns. Let's just say that was U of M, Hamline, and St. Thomas. They are top schools so many other companies go there as well. You are a top student and proactive so you get multiple offers for the top internships. A friend at St. Cloud State is also interested so they apply but their application is sitting on a like until they get done with the primary schools. You may still get an opportunity if you have a connection but you'll be coming in after the best opportunities are taken if you get one.

So you can be successful no matter where you go. There are certain schools and programs that will create opportunities not readily available at other schools but you still have to take advantage of that benefit. Graduate school and research programs also separate the type of university it is.

I'm not trying to argue with you. I believe you. I'm just saying that hasn't been my experience. It's probably different everywhere. Where I've worked there is no way new hires with similar academic backgrounds (subject matter, not institution) are getting hired 3 or 4 levels different. It may have to do with the type of work, industry, etc.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Ick. Not good. Bit surprising too.
    Not really. It's happening all over the country.