Page 56 of 169 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Dan View Post
    Yeah easy - just don't spend more than you have. Too bad und couldn't figure that out.
    Just like NDSU and 95% of the NCAA. There were 13 schools who were in the black last year and another two dozen that were 5% or less of their total revenue from doing the same. NDSU is a long way from there.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Just like NDSU and 95% of the NCAA. There were 13 schools who were in the black last year and another two dozen that were 5% or less of their total revenue from doing the same. NDSU is a long way from there.
    Man you're dense. No one was talking about the athletic dept being self sustaining. Your right few are. What was being said is NDSU was only spending what was allocated by NDSU and the athletic dept. and was in the black. What you guys were doing was overspending your budget by millions and having to have the school make up the difference. That's why all the sports cutting.
    Best DI Football Team in the Tri-State Area - AGAIN

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Dan View Post
    Man you're dense. No one was talking about the athletic dept being self sustaining. Your right few are. What was being said is NDSU was only spending what was allocated by NDSU and the athletic dept. and was in the black. What you guys were doing was overspending your budget by millions and having to have the school make up the difference. That's why all the sports cutting.
    If you don't think that is a managed number and it doesn't show basically whatever they want it to by the end of the year, then I don't know how to help you. Being "in the black" means your athletic department supports itself, not that it exceeds some arbitrary accounting number on paper because it's subsidized by institutional funds.

UND had a deficit because after their estimated budget was set, state cuts came down and they used it to do what they should have done a decade ago. The problem has been fixed. Regardless of what their year end number says in the future, I'm not going to pretend they breakeven or are in the black until they do it without institutional support, which I'm not holding my breath for.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

If you don't think that is a managed number and it doesn't show basically whatever they want it to by the end of the year, then I don't know how to help you. Being "in the black" means your athletic department supports itself, not that it exceeds some arbitrary accounting number on paper because it's subsidized by institutional funds.

UND had a deficit because after their estimated budget was set, state cuts came down and they used it to do what they should have done a decade ago. The problem has been fixed. Regardless of what their year end number says in the future, I'm not going to pretend they breakeven or are in the black until they do it without institutional support, which I'm not holding my breath for.
    Being in the black means you generate more revenue than your budget.

Being in the red means you spend more than your budget.

Being self supporting is totally different. That means you support your athletic department without using any state funds. NDSU athletics received between 8-10 million from the state, which is a very small percentage of their budget.

Typically, the only teams that are self supporting are the Power 5 schools. Infact only 2 conferences and 13 teams are self supporting and they are all in the SEC and Big Ten. That is because their TV deals give them more money than a mid major schools entire athletic budget, so any surplus they spend.

And almost all schools will spend their entire budget because they operate more like a non profit.

Most of the teams in the Summit are in the same ballpark for spending. USD and UND got slightly more money than NDSU and SDSU

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

That's bs about the state cuts as the only reason for running a deficit. But hey believe what you want. Mismanagement, poor leadership (all levels) arrogance just to name a few. Look at how many Presidents and AD's you've had in the last 15 years.
    Best DI Football Team in the Tri-State Area - AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Being in the black means you generate more revenue than your budget.

Being in the red means you spend more than your budget.

Being self supporting is totally different. That means you support your athletic department without using any state funds. NDSU athletics received between 8-10 million from the state, which is a very small percentage of their budget.

Typically, the only teams that are self supporting are the Power 5 schools. Infact only 2 conferences and 13 teams are self supporting and they are all in the SEC and Big Ten. That is because their TV deals give them more money than a mid major schools entire athletic budget, so any surplus they spend.

And almost all schools will spend their entire budget because they operate more like a non profit.

Most of the teams in the Summit are in the same ballpark for spending. USD and UND got slightly more money than NDSU and SDSU
    I wouldnt count student/state funds as revenue when discussing being profitable or not.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    I wouldnt count student/state funds as revenue when discussing being profitable or not.
    Its not like state schools are going to pay the surplus money back. They would kind of be paying themselves back. Although in a perfect world they would

Although if your a team like James Madison, you get almost 40 million from the state. Meanwhile our entire athletic budget is 25 million

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

I can see the comments now. Imagine the windfall if NDSU served alcohol at its events. Imagine how far ahead a school would be if they had a donor build them a arena or two.

The school that has had those things still can't keep their pants up. What a disgrace.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RedRiver is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The Summit League is moving their conference offices to Sioux Falls on August 1, 2018.