Page 116 of 169 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1685

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    From an NDSU perspective Augie is virtually meaningless, the SF market doesn't mean a damn thing to us. So yeah, give us that sweet Sanford cash I guess but the SD schools have a lot more to lose.

All it takes is one to step up and say they don't want it. If I'm those schools, I would be pissed that Sanford is going to force them to add a school in their prized market and then give said school barrels of money to compete against them. Might be best just to find somewhere else to get cash.
    The thing that "worries" me about Augie, is that when they talk about a D1 move, they are always talking to the Booster guy from Sanford. It's always good to have a booster speaking for the university, the NCAA loves that. But I guess UND is fine with it, I mean look how well it has gone for them.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Is having private schools in the league a good or bad thing?
    I have no problem with private schools. I doubt the ACC is too bent out of shape about having Duke and Wake Forest. Samesies with the Big 12 and having Baylor/TCU.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    The Summit added UMKC back, one of the worst athletic programs in all of D1. Do you really think we are going to pass on Augustana who is located in the same town as the Summit offices and basketball conference tourney? LMAO, if Augie can raise the cash they are in.

They pay coaches very well, have a great market, academics are fine, and so on. They had terrible leadership which led to poor results. Their potential is unquestioned and their new AD is legit. I wouldn't call them anywhere near the worst in D1. They are one on campus athletic facility away from being a legit player.

ORU/WIU lobbying for them is why they had no issues returning. Frankly there exit made no sense.

SL needs to add another team outside the Dakota's before Auggie is ever looked at. Even after UST coming aboard.

I have lobbied for Lindenwood, they are definitely looking and capable but don't send alumni to the local news stations....

From an NDSU perspective Augie is virtually meaningless, the SF market doesn't mean a damn thing to us. So yeah, give us that sweet Sanford cash I guess but the SD schools have a lot more to lose.

All it takes is one to step up and say they don't want it. If I'm those schools, I would be pissed that Sanford is going to force them to add a school in their prized market and then give said school barrels of money to compete against them. Might be best just to find somewhere else to get cash.

I don't believe there are multiple billionaires living in South Dakota, more specifically Sioux Falls. I do not have sources to verify this, however.

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    I don't believe there are multiple billionaires living in South Dakota, more specifically Sioux Falls. I do not have sources to verify this, however.
    But is Augie a Sanford Health and Kelby K thing or is it the billionaire? Not sure I've ever heard T Denny say anything about Aguie.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

But is Augie a Sanford Health and Kelby K thing or is it the billionaire? Not sure I've ever heard T Denny say anything about Aguie.
    When you're as wealthy as Mr. T is, he can have others do the talking for him; but, rest assured, those talking heads are conveying his wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd View Post
    I've said before Sioux Falls desperately wants a legitimate sports franchise, Augie to DI is all about the SF power brokers trying to make it happen, and a DI Augie is all about one weekend in March. Sioux falls is outside the geographic footprint for a A or AA minor league baseball franchise, the Skyforce, the NBA G League franchise, could fold and nobody would notice, their indoor football team is basically beer league football with a $200 a week paycheck, and their independent minor league baseball team is really struggling. Their minor league hockey franchise is legit, sent players to the NHL, I'll give them that. This is a top down movement, I hear little groundswell support for a DI Augie. IMHO that is why you see so much lobbying through the media, they are trying to build support that isn't there. If Augie doesn't get a vote or is voted down expect to see a media campaign that the big bad state supported schools (mostly SDSU, the media loves picking on us) won't let poor little Augie in. Douple has said before the Summit League doesn't negotiate with future members through the media. Now compare UST Membership with Augie, there were few UST rumors but zero news stories, the negotiating, campus visits and votes all took place behind closed doors. With Augie everything is done through the media, IMHO either they are trying to build a groundswell of public support or are eventually going to pressure the Dakota schools (the ones with Sanford ties) to get Augie in the Summit. And FWIW inside the Dakota bubble very few want Augie. We are very sparsely populated and it's bad enough splitting money, recruits and fan support four ways much less five.
    Very good synopsis here. Augie is being pulled into this for all the wrong reasons, IMO. It is all about the SLT that one weekend in March. A place at the table so Sioux Falls can call themselves a D1 city. Unless you have that groundswell of support where the base is all in for this move it is destined to failure. I have already heard the grumblings about the football program getting left behind in this move, going non-scholarship. Those alumni are not happy and will pull support.

The irony is, let's say Augie joins the SL. There are no guarantees they finish in the top 8 to make the SLT. In fact, I would say more often than not they won't make the SLT.

I'm fine with it. I do find it ironic, however, that somehow that has been a big point for reasons NDSU shouldn't be added to this conference or that conference but somehow it's fine when it goes the other way. Again, I don't really care, it's just not consistent.
    Last edited by Gully; 10-08-2019 at 10:34 AM.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

As long as they don't become a majority or come close to having an equal say it'll be fine. 2-4 isn't going to be an issue. When privates start dictating decisions than you have problems.

Explain to me how a school (augie) that has an enrollment of of 1,837 students is good for any league other than D3. Yes, they have some boosters, but that does not equate to fans in the seats. There is 0 benefit of them in our conference.

The current smallest school is 3,417 and that is Oral Roberts. Next smallest is 7,624 and that is Western.

Atleast St. Thomas is over 10K at 10,035.

Other than a bus ride, there is 0 advantage to them in the league.
    "If FBS teams are looking for an FCS cupcake, might I suggest North Dakota instead of North Dakota State." - John Taylor NBC College football talk writer