Page 86 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Hurts the perception of the conference. With UND it's a flagship university who has a good name. Omaha you get a good sized market. Augustana has zero name and it's a medium sized market that will be over saturated. Stability and a guarantee of an auto bid and cost savings for travel is what they bring to the table. I would have been more excited for Rio Grande. At least its Texas.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    NMSU and GCU
    I completely understand the "who would we rather have" conversation and recognize that several people on here are quite clear they aren't interested in adding Augustana to the Summit League.

My question, as I made reference to in my previous comment from last night, is have ANY of these other schools (NMSU and GCU specifically, and to a degree UMKC) expressed a legitimate interest in joining/re-joining the Summit?

People could sit here and say, "I'd rather see Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Creighton, Iowa, or Iowa State join the Summit than see Augie join it," but the reality is those schools aren't interested, aren't expressing interest, and have made no indication they will be interested anytime soon. If GCU and New Mexico State have suggested they want to join the Summit, then saying "I'd rather see NMSU and GCU join the Summit" makes sense. But if they haven't, then I don't get why it keeps coming up as a preferred option...because if they haven't indicated interest in the Summit, it's kind of not an option at all.

If the point is that the Summit should be actively/aggressively pursuing those schools, then that's a different conversation. But I don't get any indication that the Summit is doing that either. To be clear, I'm very open to being corrected on that, as there are probably people on here who have solid connections to Summit League officials or their own schools' administrations that would be able to weigh in with info I'm not aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by imabison View Post
    A friend of mine who went to Augustana College told me she was at the MSUM vs Augustana game this year, and it was said on the radio pregame that Augustana was gone from the conference beginning next year to begin its transition to D1 and the Summit.

Sounded pretty definite its happening not an if it happens.
    My guess is there has been some inaccurate passing along of information somewhere along the line. It's possible it was discussed as a possibility by someone on the radio, but everyone, including Augie's administration, has made it fairly clear it will be a 2-year minimum, and possibly longer if the funding doesn't come together as quickly as necessary to make the jump after 2 years.

And if it was the Moorhead radio guy making that prediction, it would be even more likely to be inaccurate. Most opposing coaches and media people in other teams' regions continue to say "one year from now," but no one directly from Augustana is suggesting that to the best of my knowledge.
    Last edited by MrAugustana; 03-19-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Summit and WAC should merge for bb only.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    I completely understand the "who would we rather have" conversation and recognize that several people on here are quite clear they aren't interested in adding Augustana to the Summit League.

My question, as I made reference to in my previous comment from last night, is have ANY of these other schools (NMSU and GCU specifically, and to a degree UMKC) expressed a legitimate interest in joining/re-joining the Summit?

People could sit here and say, "I'd rather see Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Creighton, Iowa, or Iowa State join the Summit than see Augie join it," but the reality is those schools aren't interested, aren't expressing interest, and have made no indication they will be interested anytime soon. If GCU and New Mexico State have suggested they want to join the Summit, then saying "I'd rather see NMSU and GCU join the Summit" makes sense. But if they haven't, then I don't get why it keeps coming up as a preferred option...because if they haven't indicated interest in the Summit, it's kind of not an option at all.

If the point is that the Summit should be actively/aggressively pursuing those schools, then that's a different conversation. But I don't get any indication that the Summit is doing that either. To be clear, I'm very open to being corrected on that, as there are probably people on here who have solid connections to Summit League officials or their own schools' administrations that would be able to weigh in with info I'm not aware of.
    Augustana people (and everyone else in this region) just assume that if Augustana goes D1 that they are a shoe-in for the Summit, that all they have to do is show up and they will be accepted into the conference. I don't think anything can be assumed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post
    Augustana people (and everyone else in this region) just assume that if Augustana goes D1 that they are a shoe-in for the Summit, that all they have to do is show up and they will be accepted into the conference. I don't think anything can be assumed.
    I don't disagree. I'm one of few Augie fans who isn't expecting to get a Summit invite, but it also doesn't seem unreasonable to me to think it's the most likely scenario if Augie actually intends to go D1.

At the same time, why does it matter if anyone does or doesn't assume it? If people assume it and they are right, then their assumption doesn't change anything. And if people assume it and they're wrong, that will be proven when the invite isn't made.

Do you mind explaining more why it's such a big issue for people to assume it other than generally annoying you?

I'm not overly torn either way. I like others just view Augustana as a "body". Unfortunately this body could steal some recruits from SD schools and possibly even ND schools, which leads to the watering down effect others have talked about. Idea of fans in a conference is to strengthen the conference not just add a piece and it gives us a little blip on strength, and doesn't do anything nationally as the same media outlets that cover SDS/USD will be the same ones covering Augie.

NMSU/GCU are new fresh blood out of most of our footprints for recruiting and recognizable names nationally. They may be somewhat pipe dreams but less so than the ones you mentioned in P5 conferences.

The only way this works out in everyone's favor is if Augie puts the money where their mouth is and somehow doesn't interfere with the recruit quantities and areas of other Summit League schools but recruitment and it's trends are next to impossible to predict. $$ I think due to the small alumni/fan base being a small school, but possibly more well to do but not sure it's enough to make up the gap though? The difference between graduating 4-5000 students every year to maybe 900 (??) eventually adds up to an exponential more $ being able to be raised.

Obviously most of us (dakota schools) are "aware" of Augustana from NCC days where they were an afterthought in most people's mind back then so they have to overcome that perspective as well without interfering with the existing summit members.

Summit isn't publicly actively looking but I got to think behind the scenes they're doing something whether internal discussions or even putting out "anonymous" feelers to other schools.

The Summit Commissioner has been tight lipped about all his moves, including Oral Roberts. UNKC has publicly said travel costs have killed them. New Mexico State is an FBS team without a conference but a solid basketball option. Grand Canyon has said nothing. Nothing has been said publicly by anyone but that's not uncommon. I think the Summit is actually considered stable now with 4 Dakota schools and Omaha. That wasnt the case a few years ago and it scared some teams off

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    I'm not overly torn either way. I like others just view Augustana as a "body". Unfortunately this body could steal some recruits from SD schools and possibly even ND schools, which leads to the watering down effect others have talked about. Idea of fans in a conference is to strengthen the conference not just add a piece and it gives us a little blip on strength, and doesn't do anything nationally as the same media outlets that cover SDS/USD will be the same ones covering Augie.

NMSU/GCU are new fresh blood out of most of our footprints for recruiting and recognizable names nationally. They may be somewhat pipe dreams but less so than the ones you mentioned in P5 conferences.

The only way this works out in everyone's favor is if Augie puts the money where their mouth is and somehow doesn't interfere with the recruit quantities and areas of other Summit League schools but recruitment and it's trends are next to impossible to predict. $$ I think due to the small alumni/fan base being a small school, but possibly more well to do but not sure it's enough to make up the gap though? The difference between graduating 4-5000 students every year to maybe 900 (??) eventually adds up to an exponential more $ being able to be raised.

Obviously most of us (dakota schools) are "aware" of Augustana from NCC days where they were an afterthought in most people's mind back then so they have to overcome that perspective as well without interfering with the existing summit members.

Summit isn't publicly actively looking but I got to think behind the scenes they're doing something whether internal discussions or even putting out "anonymous" feelers to other schools.
    Hypothetical question: What if Augie funds its athletics at a level similar to, say, Wofford or Furman? Would there be less resistance to adding a small private school?

I think the "adding markets" argument doesn't apply for low to mid-major conferences. It's more about retaining automatic tournament qualifications (i.e., baseball) and cost control (limited travel).

Not much of this really matters until we find out what one person thinks about this, and that's our good friend T. Denny Sanford.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison08 View Post
    Hypothetical question: What if Augie funds its athletics at a level similar to, say, Wofford or Furman? Would there be less resistance to adding a small private school?

I think the "adding markets" argument doesn't apply for low to mid-major conferences. It's more about retaining automatic tournament qualifications (i.e., baseball) and cost control (limited travel).

Not much of this really matters until we find out what one person thinks about this, and that's our good friend T. Denny Sanford.
    I'm not sure with Wofford or Furman and where they are in regards to their conference mates. I would like them to be on same level about as UNO/USD (in my perception maybe I'm off at level everyone is at $$ wise). Definitely not as low as WIU. So this would put them $15-$20 million a year I think?

Added markets at mid-major is probably minimal like you say, but everyone in Augustana's presumed radius already knows all the schools, and know the summit league and probably even passively follow it. NMSU/GCU would bring new eyeballs which is where I was headed with added markets. Not that it would garner more in say TV/media revenue but more just additional fans that aren't current fans/eyeballs even if they're passive ones of the Summit League recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    I'm not sure with Wofford or Furman and where they are in regards to their conference mates. I would like them to be on same level about as UNO/USD (in my perception maybe I'm off at level everyone is at $$ wise). Definitely not as low as WIU. So this would put them $15-$20 million a year I think?

Added markets at mid-major is probably minimal like you say, but everyone in Augustana's presumed radius already knows all the schools, and know the summit league and probably even passively follow it. NMSU/GCU would bring new eyeballs which is where I was headed with added markets. Not that it would garner more in say TV/media revenue but more just additional fans that aren't current fans/eyeballs even if they're passive ones of the Summit League recognition.
    Honestly I'm not adamantly opposed to Auggie. I'm just not excited about it. I'm more concerned they wont have enough money to put a good product and facilities on the field. If they dont throw all their money at some key sports, it could be very watered down. I want to see them do it right and win some games.

I also would like to see the footprint widen and get some more high profile teams because it's all about watching good competition

In a perfect world, we would add Augie and UMKC and eventually look to some wac schools

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com