Page 73 of 169 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Answer Guy is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by aces1180 View Post
    Do you mean KFGO/The Fan?
    Probably. I don't pay much attention to Fargo radio. Or Grand Forks radio.
    Teh Interwebs – a place you can say stuff.

Honeybooboo is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Answer Guy View Post
    Probably. I don't pay much attention to Fargo radio. Or Grand Forks radio.
    I thought radio in GF was Fargo radio??

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    I think it would be cool if NDSU got a women's basketball program. It was sort of cool 20 years ago when we did. Not sure what it would take to get it started again. Maybe have to hire a coach, get some D1 athletes, buy some women's balls, we already have a sweet new facility. Unless we cannot compete with SDSU and/or USD, then maybe it makes sense to not have it still.
    Asked my son tonight if he's a Bison fan. He responded that he cheers for the boys, doesn't always cheer for the girls because they're not very good.
    Last edited by Bison bison; 07-11-2018 at 01:33 PM.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    Asked my son tonight if he's a Bison fan. He responded that he cheers for the boys, doesn't always cheer for the girls because their not very good.
    I remember when the move to Division 1 was being discussed, women's basketball was the sport that was supposed to have the easiest transition, "we should be competitive right away." Very similar to what I hear from the Augustana boosters about their baseball and basketball programs.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    I remember when the move to Division 1 was being discussed, women's basketball was the sport that was supposed to have the easiest transition, "we should be competitive right away." Very similar to what I hear from the Augustana boosters about their baseball and basketball programs.
    We had the same discussion and felt the same way you did.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

And they goddamn should have, but Amy started mailing it in, Dehoff sucked and stayed waaaaay too long, and Walseth is doing the same thing.

Comments like my son's piss me off to no end. It's his well-based opinion and he's seen more NDSU women's basketball than I (and 99.95 percent of the state) have seen in the last year.

NDSU athletics used to be about excellence. 2 in-conference wins in a year should get you fired. Back-to-back seasons of 2 in-conference wins should get your boss fired. Yes, Mr. Larson I'm talking about you.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

SDSU's men's program was supposed to transition well after a lot of success at the D2 level. We know how that worked out. Augustana moving up would be incredibly risky. Not only could they become irrelevant again in athletics, if not done correctly (see scholarship FB) the move could bankrupt the school.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    And they goddamn should have, but Amy started mailing it in, Dehoff sucked and stayed waaaaay too long, and Walseth is doing the same thing.

Comments like my son's piss me off to no end. It's his well-based opinion and he's seen more NDSU women's basketball than I (and 99.95 percent of the state) have seen in the last year.

NDSU athletics used to be about excellence. 2 in-conference wins in a year should get you fired. Back-to-back seasons of 2 in-conference wins should get your boss fired. Yes, Mr. Larson I'm talking about you.
    I’m no expert at this, but if NDSU fired a coach and hired a new one, wouldn’t they be stuck paying two coaches until the fired coach’s contract was fulfilled?

With NDSU’s limited budget compared to the bigger schools, this might be why they don’t get rid of coaches until their contracts are finished.

Again, just my speculation.

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Just to be clear, anyone who doesn't acknowledge that Augie is extremely unlikely to come in and win at an impressively high level immediately is unrealistic at best. Anyone who understands sports and has paid attention to the transitions of the other now-D1 schools in this region should be aware that the Vikes will have a stretch of at least a few years where they probably won't exactly be near the top of the food chain and will take some beatings.

The bigger issue is whether or not, after the transition period—specifically during which the Vikes aren't able to participate in postseason tournaments—Augie can be competitive at a higher level in the Summit. As has been discussed, if things go back to the way they were in the NCC days (when Augie's administration was making a minimal...if not just flat-out embarrassing...investment in athletics), then yes, the Vikings will struggle. But if Augie has enough financial investment from boosters and new supporters/investors/sponsors combined with full support and buy-in from the administration to be competitive with budgets, facilities, etc., then I don't think it's overwhelmingly unrealistic to think they could be a successful program at the D1 level.

Obviously all of those elements have to come together. And like I said before, if those elements aren't guaranteed (or at least extremely likely to come together), then the decision should definitely be that Augie stays D2.

I know others on here strongly disagree that Augie has even a shred of hope of being competitive at the next level, but it does feel like some of those people are singularly focused on treating the potential D1 version of Augie as the early-90s/early-2000s doormat version of Augie, and I don't get the impression that the early-90s version will ever be returned to by our administration in terms of financing and support. If that happens, my guess is the administration responsible won't exactly be around a whole lot longer after that.
    Last edited by MrAugustana; 07-12-2018 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I’m no expert at this, but if NDSU fired a coach and hired a new one, wouldn’t they be stuck paying two coaches until the fired coach’s contract was fulfilled?

With NDSU’s limited budget compared to the bigger schools, this might be why they don’t get rid of coaches until their contracts are finished.
    Yes they would have to pay for two coaches. Maybe that would prevent them from paying way too much and for too long for first time head coaches like they did for Richman and Walselth.

Which makes you hold them a lot more dearly and a lot longer than they are worth.

They are both busts at this time, but they've got years left in Fargo between the two of them. FAIL.