Page 104 of 169 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1683

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Neither are half the schools in the Summit League. It's the Summit League not the Ivies FFS.
    That is something that takes some of the shine off of the Summit. It gets to exactly what Tony said. To be fair there are schools who are definitely not our academic peers in the Summit. They are Omaha, Oral Roberts, Purdue-Fort Wayne and Western Illinois. However, a Grand Canyon would be allowing a school that has been known to have little rigor and very questiontionable academics in.

Quote Originally Posted by WYOBISONMAN View Post
    Talking to "locals" tells nothing of academics. Grand Canyon is a diploma mill with the majority of its degrees granted online. Including grad degrees. Here are links to the Carnegie Rankings of both schools......bring each page up and check the box next to "Graduate Instructional Program"..........then at the bottom of the page click on the "find similar" . This will bring up a list of peer institutions that is based on actual data. Do this for each school and it is clear that Grand Canyon is hardly a peer of NDSU. But, neither is Augustana for that matter....

Link for Grand Canyon....

http://carnegieclassifications.iu.ed...unit_id=104717

Link for NDSU....

http://carnegieclassifications.iu.ed...%3A%2217%22%7D
    Who cares, in 15 years, brick and mortar colleges will hardly exist and everything will be online. The declining enrollment nationally coupled with the skyrocketing costs and online technology... it's obvious. Declining enrollment will lead to less revenue and colleges wont be able to fund athletics. At the end of the day, only the power 5 schools have the money to sustain athletics without state revenue. So online schools are 2 steps head

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Talking to "locals" tells nothing of academics. Grand Canyon is a diploma mill with the majority of its degrees granted online. Including grad degrees. Here are links to the Carnegie Rankings of both schools......bring each page up and check the box next to "Graduate Instructional Program"..........then at the bottom of the page click on the "find similar" . This will bring up a list of peer institutions that is based on actual data. Do this for each school and it is clear that Grand Canyon is hardly a peer of NDSU. But, neither is Augustana for that matter....

Link for Grand Canyon....

http://carnegieclassifications.iu.ed...unit_id=104717

Link for NDSU....

http://carnegieclassifications.iu.ed...%3A%2217%22%7D
    These are local business executives who hire graduates. I guess I should have been more specific with my description. They are going more and more to GCU to find new employees Ave very pleased with what they are finding. The impression of GCU and their graduates has changed drastically in the last 5 years. The campus has a little different feel but still very positive. They are building like crazy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I kind of chuckle at the ivory tower elitist stuff. My experience in the workforce is great people come from all over. Just because someone graduated from X school doesn't mean crap in terms of results and that's what counts in the real world. Harvard schmarward.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    I kind of chuckle at the ivory tower elitist stuff. My experience in the workforce is great people come from all over. Just because someone graduated from X school doesn't mean crap in terms of results and that's what counts in the real world. Harvard schmarward.
    Also, get off my lawn!

A few years back NDSU dropped from what is known as a R1 research institution to an R2. This was significant because NDSU had worked extremely hard under Joe Chapman to achieve that highest level of research designation. The reason it is so significant is when funders are looking at where to place grant money they look more favorably on schools that have a designation of R1. The top grad students also consider that also especially because of the availability of grant funding for research. These are the universities in America that are on the cutting edge of research. We need to get back there.

I rarely agree with Rob Port on much of anything, but he mentioned the drop research level back when it happened. Here is the link to what he said.......

https://www.sayanythingblog.com/entr...ng-downgraded/

I have two grad degrees. One from NDSU and one from Purdue in West Lafayette (The one in the Big 10). The research aspect of each school was absolutely vital to the quality of my degree.

The academics and research is important. That is why the University exists. We want to live in the best neighborhood possible.

A few years back NDSU dropped from what is known as a R1 research institution to an R2. This was significant because NDSU had worked extremely hard under Joe Chapman to achieve that highest level of research designation. The reason it is so significant is when funders are looking at where to place grant money they look more favorably on schools that have a designation of R1. The top grad students also consider that also especially because of the availability of grant funding for research. These are the universities in America that are on the cutting edge of research. We need to get back there.

I rarely agree with Rob Port on much of anything, but he mentioned the drop research level back when it happened. Here is the link to what he said.......

I have two grad degrees. One from NDSU and one from Purdue in West Lafayette (The one in the Big 10). The research aspect of each school was absolutely vital to the quality of my degree.

The academics and research is important. That is why the University exists. We want to live in the best neighborhood possible.
    Again this has absolutely nothing to do with what athletic conference we are in or who else is in it. That's strictly an institutional issue. NDSU didn't drop from R1 to R2 because of who they play sports with FFS!

For MOST people, this has no value on their degree or their value in the marketplace. In the corporate world, once you're a few years into the job all that matters is that you checked the college degree box, how well you perform and what value you create in the organization. Degrees don't get you into leadership roles, your performance does. I recognize that for some people (highly specialized technical skills, academia, probably others) things are different. But I think for most people, it doesn't really matter. It's more of an ego thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Again this has absolutely nothing to do with what athletic conference we are in or who else is in it. That's strictly an institutional issue. NDSU didn't drop from R1 to R2 because of who they play sports with FFS!
    This is true but to some extent you want to be with similar institutions. Kinda hard for the Dakota schools to do that though.
    College of Business Alumnus

I don't think academics come into play 98% of the time when NDSU and the Summit consider new members, but I bet GCU is one of the other 2%. Beyond the diploma mill thing, remember that GCU is effectively a for-profit university. They did some reorganizing a few years back to technically return to non-profit status, but it's just a paperwork thing. The non-profit university is completely dependent on the for-profit Grand Canyon Education Inc.

Honestly, the only relevant schools I can think of that the Summit would decline for academic reasons are GCU and Chicago State. Maybe GSU will become more palatable in time as they distance themselves from their for-profit period, but I can understand why some of the Summit presidents would be wary of them. The for-profit sector has been a cancer to higher education.