Page 87 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

NDSU needs to BOLT to Mountain West or Missouri Valley all sports. Its Time, none of these teams will fill the SHAC.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Honestly I'm not adamantly opposed to Auggie. I'm just not excited about it. I'm more concerned they wont have enough money to put a good product and facilities on the field. If they dont throw all their money at some key sports, it could be very watered down. I want to see them do it right and win some games.

I also would like to see the footprint widen and get some more high profile teams because it's all about watching good competition

In a perfect world, we would add Augie and UMKC and eventually look to some wac schools
    I'd be all in on this. Add Augie and UMKC, and also GCU and NMSU. Bribe the latter two with travel money if you have to. Extort the first two to pay for the bribe if need be. Or avoid the indirect roundabout effort and just ask Sanford directly for money to lure GCU and NMSU. Then I'm there with the whole plan. Pretty cool conference, in fact. The MVC can go to hell.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Just say no to Augie. It is that simple. I despise the hole idea of adding a former NCC bottom feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I'd be all in on this. Add Augie and UMKC, and also GCU and NMSU. Bribe the latter two with travel money if you have to. Extort the first two to pay for the bribe if need be. Or avoid the indirect roundabout effort and just ask Sanford directly for money to lure GCU and NMSU. Then I'm there with the whole plan. Pretty cool conference, in fact. The MVC can go to hell.
    We definitely need numbers. I think the auto bid requirement is 7. With 5 Dakota schools, that's pretty much a lock. You can always find 2 more teams. But the WAC is only a few moves away from dissolving. They have 9 right now. Chicago State is basically in survival mode and could not exist one of these years. Now you're down to 8. New Mexico State doesnt have a conference for FBS football and will jump to the Mountain West, or any FBS conference someday. Now you're at 7. UMKC has publicly said travel is killing them and has been rumored to go to the Summit. That's 6. If any of those things happen, WAC teams will be begging for a conference. You got Texas Rio Grande who would jump to the Southland.

The Valley has threats too. Fort Wayne will eventually leave. Denver is kind of in between Big Sky and Summit territory and if they were to leave, ORU is in a tough spot. That's why we need UMKC. I also like the idea of Northern Colorado even though football is kind of meh

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Strommer10 is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    We definitely need numbers. I think the auto bid requirement is 7. With 5 Dakota schools, that's pretty much a lock. You can always find 2 more teams. But the WAC is only a few moves away from dissolving. They have 9 right now. Chicago State is basically in survival mode and could not exist one of these years. Now you're down to 8. New Mexico State doesnt have a conference for FBS football and will jump to the Mountain West, or any FBS conference someday. Now you're at 7. UMKC has publicly said travel is killing them and has been rumored to go to the Summit. That's 6. If any of those things happen, WAC teams will be begging for a conference. You got Texas Rio Grande who would jump to the Southland.

The Valley has threats too. Fort Wayne will eventually leave. Denver is kind of in between Big Sky and Summit territory and if they were to leave, ORU is in a tough spot. That's why we need UMKC. I also like the idea of Northern Colorado even though football is kind of meh
    At this point, you have to assume it's only a matter of time before Fort Wayne is gone. That brings the Summit to 8 schools. I would like to see UMKC added to bridge the gap between ORU and the rest of the "I-29 schools". That would create a core of 6 I-29 schools in the Summit. If we can keep Denver long term, I would like the Northern Colorado addition. Easy travel partner for Denver, not a geographic outlier, and has baseball to replace Fort Wayne.

That would bring the Summit to 10 schools which is the perfect number.
    NDSU/UND
    SDSU/USD
    Omaha/WIU
    ORU/UMKC
    Denver/No. Colorado

WIU could leave due to travel & budget issues at their school. I could see them jumping to the OVC as travel would be easier and if they moved football over, they would have an easier path to the FCS playoffs. In that scenario, the Summit would then need a 10th school again with a baseball program. That's where I would be fine with adding Augie. The Summit would complete it's transition to completely West of the Mississippi and stay East of the Rockies.

This would solidify the Summit at these 10 schools and create efficient travel partners:
    NDSU/UND
    SDSU/Augustana
    Omaha/USD
    ORU/UMKC
    Denver/No. Colorado

The above makes too much sense, so it will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Strommer10 View Post
    At this point, you have to assume it's only a matter of time before Fort Wayne is gone. That brings the Summit to 8 schools. I would like to see UMKC added to bridge the gap between ORU and the rest of the "I-29 schools". That would create a core of 6 I-29 schools in the Summit. If we can keep Denver long term, I would like the Northern Colorado addition. Easy travel partner for Denver, not a geographic outlier, and has baseball to replace Fort Wayne.

That would bring the Summit to 10 schools which is the perfect number.
    NDSU/UND
    SDSU/USD
    Omaha/WIU
    ORU/UMKC
    Denver/No. Colorado

WIU could leave due to travel & budget issues at their school. I could see them jumping to the OVC as travel would be easier and if they moved football over, they would have an easier path to the FCS playoffs. In that scenario, the Summit would then need a 10th school again with a baseball program. That's where I would be fine with adding Augie. The Summit would complete it's transition to completely West of the Mississippi and stay East of the Rockies.

This would solidify the Summit at these 10 schools and create efficient travel partners:
    NDSU/UND
    SDSU/Augustana
    Omaha/USD
    ORU/UMKC
    Denver/No. Colorado

The above makes too much sense, so it will never happen.
    That would be so perfect. Replacing Western Illinois with Northern Colorado in football would be a wash as well

Then eventually when the WAC implodes, you have a good opportunity for a north/south or west/east format to protect travel costs.

You could have the west play the east for the Championship in Sioux Falls

You could make west and east teams play each other to retain good non conference schedules and maintain the existing rivalries. In sure New Mexico State and Grand Canyon enjoy the rivalries

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Northern Colorado is a great fit for the Big Sky
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Strommer10 is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    Northern Colorado is a great fit for the Big Sky
    You're not wrong. But IMO the Summit NEEDS to get to 10 stable schools for stability and scheduling reasons. What I forsee Douple doing is adding UMKC back, and then Augie. (Assuming Fort Wayne leaves & Augie does indeed transition to D1 within the next 5 years)
    The MVFC would not be affected in this scenario, as Augie would put football in the Pioneer.

That would get the Summit to:
    NDSU/UND
    SDSU/Augustana
    Omaha/USD
    WIU/UMKC
    Denver/ORU

Not as convenient travel partners, but it gets the Summit to the magical number of 10 schools. 7 of those schools being located along the I-29 corridor.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I can't believe people are advocating for UMKC on here. They are one of the worst DI programs west of the Mississippi. Their gym is middle school level, they have no fans and the athletic department recently looked at moving to D2 or dropping athletics all together. I get that we have to worry about attrition and they are a great fit geographically, but woof, come on guys. IPFW is similar in scope to UMKC but at least they are usually competitive and don't cripple the league with a bottom dwelling NET.
    Last edited by AKBison; 03-21-2019 at 12:51 AM.

Big time conferences are a function of tv sets, small times ones geography. Umkc would be a good addition.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."