Page 25 of 169 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Teams I would look to include Northern Colorado and UND from the Big Sky.

Colorado schools, Indiana schools, and Dakota schools would then pair up. That leaves UNO and WIU isolated though. Do you go after an Eastern Illinois, for example? Chicago State seems like they'd be a better geographical fit in the Summit than the WAC.

For teams like und and northern colorado to move into the summit, sonething would have to happen with their football program. Big sky isnt going to keep them football only, and they arent going to put their football program in Independant status foe the sake of their other sports, they would put their atheltic departments in a financial crisis.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    For teams like und and northern colorado to move into the summit, sonething would have to happen with their football program. Big sky isnt going to keep them football only, and they arent going to put their football program in Independant status foe the sake of their other sports, they would put their atheltic departments in a financial crisis.

Why not? CP and Davis are football only.

So here is just a random question, I know a lot of Bison fans have expressed their dislike of the idea of the Summit adding football as a sport, but if NDSU, SDSU, USD, WIU, were to pull out of the Valley, wouldn't it almost force the hands of a few teams from the Valley to jump? If the Summit could add UND and UNC for full membership based on the contingency of adding football, we would have six football playing schools and in reality better shape than the valley (Football wise). Especially since YSU to the CAA is more and more likely as realignment continues. It would leave four teams in the MVFC. The move would stabilize the core teams in the Summit for all sports. And in all likely hood, we would be able to pick up 2-3 of the remaining MVFC teams as associates in football. While I know common sense says none of them would jump in all sports, I question if UNI couldn't be tempted. Either way... my question finally, why is this something that so many of you are against? I know one issue would be the AQ, but I would bet that would be a non-issue with the NCAA and granted as soon as the conference was formed.

It also would take the power away from the MVC teams and put the control in our hands, where if a team wanted to join, we would have the ability to say yes or no, rather than being dependent on the MVC teams.

Quote Originally Posted by leeshajo View Post
    So here is just a random question, I know a lot of Bison fans have expressed their dislike of the idea of the Summit adding football as a sport, but if NDSU, SDSU, USD, WIU, were to pull out of the Valley, wouldn't it almost force the hands of a few teams from the Valley to jump? If the Summit could add UND and UNC for full membership based on the contingency of adding football, we would have six football playing schools and in reality better shape than the valley (Football wise). Especially since YSU to the CAA is more and more likely as realignment continues. It would leave four teams in the MVFC. The move would stabilize the core teams in the Summit for all sports. And in all likely hood, we would be able to pick up 2-3 of the remaining MVFC teams as associates in football. While I know common sense says none of them would jump in all sports, I question if UNI couldn't be tempted. Either way... my question finally, why is this something that so many of you are against? I know one issue would be the AQ, but I would bet that would be a non-issue with the NCAA and granted as soon as the conference was formed.

It also would take the power away from the MVC teams and put the control in our hands, where if a team wanted to join, we would have the ability to say yes or no, rather than being dependent on the MVC teams.
    That is actually a really good idea and would go a long ways to stabilizing the Summit. I would imagine some of the MVC teams would be pretty pissed but some of them may have no other choice than to rejoin their league just under a different conference. Adding football to the summit and have 7+ teams would likely be the minimum requirements to getting UND to join that conference.

I have to admit, it's valiant that NDSU fans are working trying a lot of different ideas of keeping the Summit together while at the same time having all but their pinky toe on the second foot out the door to the Horizon or MVC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Why not? CP and Davis are football only.
    Cp and dsvies were asked to join gor football only. I would imagine its a little different when conference members would just go to the big sky and tell them there pulling all sportd out but will stay football only. Just cant see it bei.g easy as that.

Quote Originally Posted by leeshajo View Post

YSU is the Wild Card. With the 5 MVC programs and YSU, they have enough for a conference. They could tell us to pound sand.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    YSU is the Wild Card. With the 5 MVC programs and YSU, they have enough for a conference. They could tell us to pound sand.
    And then NDSU would have a huge football conference issue if they did. Which is why Summit football is a nonstarter. I'd rather join the Big Sky than play football in the Summit without the MVC schools.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    And then NDSU would have a huge football conference issue if they did. Which is why Summit football is a nonstarter. I'd rather join the Big Sky than play football in the Summit without the MVC schools.
    Its a non-starter at this time, sure. But that obviously hasn't stopped the rampant speculation that is taking place!

If YSU were to leave, then we'd probably be having this conversation a little more seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
    That is actually a really good idea and would go a long ways to stabilizing the Summit. I would imagine some of the MVC teams would be pretty pissed but some of them may have no other choice than to rejoin their league just under a different conference. Adding football to the summit and have 7+ teams would likely be the minimum requirements to getting UND to join that conference.

I have to admit, it's valiant that NDSU fans are working trying a lot of different ideas of keeping the Summit together while at the same time having all but their pinky toe on the second foot out the door to the Horizon or MVC.
    Also, FYI, she's an SDSU fan.