Thread: Scheduling

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Scheduling

So I know this has been discussed a time or two on here before, but I have been looking at the other top tier Summit League teams schedules and everybody has 3+ games against high major schools while we sit with 2 against Minnesota and Arizona St (and ASU is only a bottom feeder in the Pac-10). While I do like this schedule better than in years past with the GB, Fresno, San Fran games plus the bracket buster, if we are trying to build hype around this program to get this BSA remodel done through donations isn't it about time we give our guys a shot to go out and knock off some big time opponents like Woody and crew did? Just look at these other OOC opponents:

Oral Roberts: West Virginia, Oklahoma, #23 Gonzaga, #14 Xavier, Texas Tech
    Oakland: #15 Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee, #17 Michigan, #16 Arizona
    SDSU: Minnesota, Georgia, Nebraska, Washington

Beating Minnesota and ASU would be great for our program, but most certainly aren't going to generate any national attention for us like the Wisconsin and Marquette wins did for us in years past. I know some of the teams listed above aren't exactly contenders, but at least it's name recognition just like the Oregon game for us last year. I think it's time this program adds a couple of top tier teams to our schedule for next season to give our guys a chance to make some noise.

Default Re: Scheduling

I actually think the schedule Saul and his staff put together is perfect our young team.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    I actually think the schedule Saul and his staff put together is perfect our young team.
    The only problem is our team is perpetually young.
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21

Kermit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Twentysix View Post
    C'mon, you know better than that. After the Fab Four graduated and Freddy Coleman got hurt before the 2009-10 season, Saul was forced to rely on true freshmen (Aaberg, Felt, Zastrow) to play meaningful minutes that they were not ready for. Some big pieces were added last year, and again this year. Now the core of our team is a group six sophomores, four of whom have had a redshirt season. Along with the current freshmen, they are going to remain the core for the next three seasons.
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
    — John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Twentysix View Post
    They are and what better way to get them used to the big time then when they are young and have nothing to lose. The team that beat Wisconsin started 4 Freshman and 1 Junior, the team that beat Marquette 4 Sophomores and 1 Senior. It's fun for young guys to get out in those atmospheres and give it all they got and see how they can match up. On top of that if our goal is to get to the tourney and win a game or two it's nice for them to have the experience of playing in front of a crowd around 10,000 that they come tourney time they know what to expect. I agree our schedule gives our young guys a chance to play solid competition and at the same time a chance to win to instill confidence to build them up, but what better way to get this team feeling like they can do anything than to give them a shot at one of the top dawgs.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    They are and what better way to get them used to the big time then when they are young and have nothing to lose. The team that beat Wisconsin started 4 Freshman and 1 Junior, the team that beat Marquette 4 Sophomores and 1 Senior. It's fun for young guys to get out in those atmospheres and give it all they got and see how they can match up. On top of that if our goal is to get to the tourney and win a game or two it's nice for them to have the experience of playing in front of a crowd around 10,000 that they come tourney time they know what to expect. I agree our schedule gives our young guys a chance to play solid competition and at the same time a chance to win to instill confidence to build them up, but what better way to get this team feeling like they can do anything than to give them a shot at one of the top dawgs.
    How is it going to help them if they go on the road and get mauled by Ohio State by 30? Oakland's schedule looks fine on paper when they beat Tennessee last season, but along with that win came a dozen big losses that meant little because they were a senior-lead team that knew how to keep its cool. Our team doesn't have that benefit, and sending them to the slaughterhouse against top teams isn't going to build any confidence for them.
    Official Bisonville Sponsor of:
    DJKyRo-brand® self-deprecating humor; Bird law; Pureyor of spicy foods; Epic UN_ predictions
    DJKyRo's all-time GDT record: 10-8
    Don't follow me on Twitter @kroth37!

Quote Originally Posted by DjKyRo View Post
    How is it going to help them if they go on the road and get mauled by Ohio State by 30? Oakland's schedule looks fine on paper when they beat Tennessee last season, but along with that win came a dozen big losses that meant little because they were a senior-lead team that knew how to keep its cool. Our team doesn't have that benefit, and sending them to the slaughterhouse against top teams isn't going to build any confidence for them.
    Well I'm not saying fill a schedule with 7 top 50 teams like Oakland did. The idea I'm bringing across is keeping Minnesota on the schedule having an average to below average big name team like ASU along with solid mid-major competition like Green Bay, Fresno St, San Fran and the bracketbuster and then maybe instead of filling a date with Mayville or whoever else might fall into future schedules, throw a top half big 10 or big 12 team in to go toe to toe with. Getting beat by 30 might not be fun, but playing in that atmosphere and having the experience is beneficial, much more so IMHO than beating up on a non-qualifying game versus some shitty area school. I've said I like our schedule this year, I would just like to see that one marquee game with a chance to get some national recognition.

I'm not sure if anyone can beat the Bison by 30. Even in our crappy 2009-10 season, I think our worst loss was by 15.