Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D-I Basketball Conference Rankings

Kermit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default D-I Basketball Conference Rankings

Eamonn Brennan of ESPN ranks all of the D-I conferences annually. This year, he has the Summit League ranked at 18 of 32 (up from 24 last year). He groups the Summit with "Mid-Majors That Play Basketball You'll Actually Want To Watch" and writes that there is a noticeable drop-off after 19. For those that care, the Big Sky comes in at #26.
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
    — John Wooden

Default Re: D-I Basketball Conference Rankings

it cant be, the BSC is "premier"
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

The Summit needs to work to secure its place as a mid-tier conference.

Losing SUU and Centenary help. Losing ORU certainly does not. Adding UNO - only time will tell.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Eamonn Brennan of ESPN ranks all of the D-I conferences annually. This year, he has the Summit League ranked at 18 of 32 (up from 24 last year). He groups the Summit with "Mid-Majors That Play Basketball You'll Actually Want To Watch" and writes that there is a noticeable drop-off after 19. For those that care, the Big Sky comes in at #26.
    Wonder how much his opinion of the Summit will change after ORU is gone. Lets face it, they are a pretty well known mid-major and you combine them with Oakland and you have two teams who have made some noise for a while. Combine that with our success a few years back and people who follow college hoops know we have 2-3 pretty solid teams in our conference, especially ORU this year. It will be interesting to see his thoughts after this year. That being said, pretty good publicity for the Summit.

Summit schools need to schedule up.

We aren't sending more than one school to the dance for a long time. Might as well play the big boys a little more often.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

I am excited to see
    The summit gathering some
    Respect nationally
    TRUST THE PROCESS

Great to see. I think the Summit has some very nice programs in it that have a bright future. Too bad we lost ORU but this conference has come a long way and continues to climb. I don't know how the conference expansions work exactly, but from a basketball level if the Summit can continue to improve and become a 12-16 conference every year, higher mid majors like Horizon and Missouri Valley are going to take notice and it could lead to bigger things.

Strommer10 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    Great to see. I think the Summit has some very nice programs in it that have a bright future. Too bad we lost ORU but this conference has come a long way and continues to climb. I don't know how the conference expansions work exactly, but from a basketball level if the Summit can continue to improve and become a 12-16 conference every year, higher mid majors like Horizon and Missouri Valley are going to take notice and it could lead to bigger things.
    I don't see where we can expand to. With ORU, SUU, & Centenary gone, that leaves the footprint in the upper midwest only. I've tried to look for teams that we could invite into the conference and it looks very thin. D2 schools moving up would be our only hope at getting to that size. (Like what UNO is doing)

Quote Originally Posted by Strommer10 View Post
    I don't see where we can expand to. With ORU, SUU, & Centenary gone, that leaves the footprint in the upper midwest only. I've tried to look for teams that we could invite into the conference and it looks very thin. D2 schools moving up would be our only hope at getting to that size. (Like what UNO is doing)
    I think he meant ranked 12-16.

The loss of ORU will be huge. It really puts the pressure on NDSU and SDSU to step up into some big shoes and be regular contenders. If we can do so, the Summit may retain some or all of that image. As for Omaha.........disaster.