Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secondary Breakdowns: Why?

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Secondary Breakdowns: Why?

I would have to watch yesterday's again, but I would tend to think the mistakes are probably being made by a DB trying to jump a play and not doing their assignment. That's exactly what happened last week. They had trips left and Littlejohn had the inside receiver, except he blitzed so then Pike has got to have that receiver. Pike took two steps in and that's all it took.

On the deep pass yesterday, the biggest problem actually was the D-line letting him get out of the pocket. If we keep him in, I don't think he has a chance to see that receiver. I remember thinking there were either two or three guys on the receiver at about 15 yards on the sideline, when I'm guessing the safety should have had that guy deep.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Could those with more football smarts than I (most of y'all) help me understand what happens on those plays where opposing receivers are simply wide open? There was at least one against UNI (fortunately their receiver fell, but the drive still produced a TD) and at least two today against IndyState. Are these mental errors by our defense? Did someone just get toasted? These big plays are gonna really hurt us someday.
    Atleast 2 series every game we play complete shit pass protection.
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21

I think part of the issue is we've had a rotating crew of safeties due to being knicked up at various times this season. These started happening when Eaves came off injury and was reinserted. Don't get me wrong our safeties and dbs are all awesome but the communications might not quite be there.

Quote Originally Posted by WRSDBison View Post
    Yes, we do have a tendency to give up big plays early in games. But we have always found a way to adjust, which I can live with. Adjustments are BIG in this sport
    I agree we have made appropriate adjustments in-game to solve any problems that are happening. It is just alarming to see that 2 weeks in a row.
    Rule #76: No excuses, play like a champion!

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Could those with more football smarts than I (most of y'all) help me understand what happens on those plays where opposing receivers are simply wide open? There was at least one against UNI (fortunately their receiver fell, but the drive still produced a TD) and at least two today against IndyState. Are these mental errors by our defense? Did someone just get toasted? These big plays are gonna really hurt us someday.
    mix of missed assignments/bad reads