Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer help

Default Re: Computer help

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    The thing I want to know is with so many cutting the cord what is the company in its infancy that I can invest in and make some money on this? Amazon, well that ship has set sail. Who is the new kid on the block that you guys see being the cats meow for this.
    Wonder how Dish Networks stock has done? They've been hemorrhaging subscribers, but have led the pack with Sling TV. (I've done zero research.) You are probably too late on roku; they are a big market leader on this. Those are of the two most impressive innovators I've seen. I also continue to be shocked that Tablo is not more popular; not sure who owns them, but they crush other OTA DVR for functionality and actually not hard to use.

Trumpster is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Wonder how Dish Networks stock has done? They've been hemorrhaging subscribers, but have led the pack with Sling TV. (I've done zero research.) You are probably too late on roku; they are a big market leader on this. Those are of the two most impressive innovators I've seen. I also continue to be shocked that Tablo is not more popular; not sure who owns them, but they crush other OTA DVR for functionality and actually not hard to use.
    What about computer based OTA DVR? I happen to a TV card in my desktop.
    Hail Hydra.

Looks like TABLO is owned by Nuvyyo a private company out of Ontario.

The company that can take all the different pieces and make it easy to piece together is going to be a rock star stock. Roku for this, Sling for that, Tablo for the this blah blah blah.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    Looks like TABLO is owned by Nuvyyo a private company out of Ontario.

The company that can take all the different pieces and make it easy to piece together is going to be a rock star stock. Roku for this, Sling for that, Tablo for the this blah blah blah.
    This was part of my disagreement with Teach. Roku already did that. It is universal, open source platform that everything works on. It is a single interface, with different apps. Just like a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpster View Post
    I used to run that type of system with Window's Media Center with good success. Really how I learned to do all this. However, Microsoft pulled the plug on support which makes it hard to get a fully operational system going anymore. I was using my computer as a whole home DVR running Midco cable through it. (Yet another moment of my pride in the journey was turning in all DVRs/boxes I was renting and demanding the cable card I needed per federal regulation guarantee. I was the first to ask!)

KTF is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpster View Post
    This is very easily done. Assuming your computer is running a version of windows you have a few options for PVR software. I have had an OTA DVR for 4 plus years now.

My setup includes the following:
    PVR software: NextPVR
    Electronic Program Guide (EPG): Schedules Direct ($25/yr)
    Tuners: 2 HDHomerun Dual (network based)
    Server/frontendPC is a custom built Windows10 mid-tower. It has a 2 HDD's and an SSD. 1 HDD is dedicated to recordings only (3Tb). The SSD runs OS and 2 HDD has extra software.
    TV unit: windows 10 unit and a raspberri pi 2.
    Front end software: KODI 16.1
    Network Storage: I do have some network storage however the WD Myclouds have bricked on me so I only have 1TB as a media server via router.

You can start small and work your way up as I did. NPVR can be a standalone as a backend server/frontend media or a backend only. You can pull the EPG either via TV antenna or schedules direct (most complete listing). Depending upon your tuner you might be able to watch/record multiple shows depending upon the number of tuners it has. Strong signal from antenna is required. I would highly recommend an antenna mounted outdoors. I have explored other options especially linux however since my windows 10 machine is used for light gaming, I stick with windows OS.

Living in the Willmar most of my OTA come from the twin cities. I would invite you to review your location via tvfool.com to see what kind of OTA singal strength you have at your location but also what channels you would be able to recieve. My location has roughly 40 channels that I can access. Some are not worth watching however I enjoy the almost free HDTV. Not going to lie though, this fall we subscribed to slingTV. It helps with the days that there is just nothing but infomercials on OTA.

The DVR setup is what has made my family stay with OTA for 4 plus years. If I couldn't record and watch later, we wouldn't have lasted...

Shoot me a PM if you want help setting it up or have questions about how it all works, I am more than happy to help you out if you want to create a setup.

Quote Originally Posted by KTF View Post
    This is very easily done. Assuming your computer is running a version of windows you have a few options for PVR software. I have had an OTA DVR for 4 plus years now.

My setup includes the following:
    PVR software: NextPVR
    Electronic Program Guide (EPG): Schedules Direct ($25/yr)
    Tuners: 2 HDHomerun Dual (network based)
    Server/frontendPC is a custom built Windows10 mid-tower. It has a 2 HDD's and an SSD. 1 HDD is dedicated to recordings only (3Tb). The SSD runs OS and 2 HDD has extra software.
    TV unit: windows 10 unit and a raspberri pi 2.
    Front end software: KODI 16.1
    Network Storage: I do have some network storage however the WD Myclouds have bricked on me so I only have 1TB as a media server via router.

You can start small and work your way up as I did. NPVR can be a standalone as a backend server/frontend media or a backend only. You can pull the EPG either via TV antenna or schedules direct (most complete listing). Depending upon your tuner you might be able to watch/record multiple shows depending upon the number of tuners it has. Strong signal from antenna is required. I would highly recommend an antenna mounted outdoors. I have explored other options especially linux however since my windows 10 machine is used for light gaming, I stick with windows OS.

Living in the Willmar most of my OTA come from the twin cities. I would invite you to review your location via tvfool.com to see what kind of OTA singal strength you have at your location but also what channels you would be able to recieve. My location has roughly 40 channels that I can access. Some are not worth watching however I enjoy the almost free HDTV. Not going to lie though, this fall we subscribed to slingTV. It helps with the days that there is just nothing but infomercials on OTA.

The DVR setup is what has made my family stay with OTA for 4 plus years. If I couldn't record and watch later, we wouldn't have lasted...

Shoot me a PM if you want help setting it up or have questions about how it all works, I am more than happy to help you out if you want to create a setup.
    Great work. Using Plex to get to TV's off a roku, xbox?

(BTW, note the signal strength discussion. Always run you antenna to your DVR tuner first, before any other splits you have for live OTA.)
    Last edited by THEsocalledfan; 01-20-2017 at 07:08 PM.

KTF is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Great work. Using Plex to get to TV's off a roku, xbox?

(BTW, note the signal strength discussion. Always run you antenna to your DVR tuner first, before any other splits you have for live OTA.
    Thanks!

I have messed a bit with plex however the catch for me is this. To my knowledge plex requires that all media be in a format of mp4, h.264, mkv, mp3, avi, etc... The issue I have with my system is that the hdhomerun tuners provide the tv stream in a .ts or (transport stream) which is a container much like mp4. Inside the video is in MPEG2 format. To run it off of a plex system I would have to transcode on the fly. This requires one of the two scenarios: A) cpu with enough HP to transcode or hardware transcoding b) obtaining a HDhomerun Extend that transcodes the streams to h.264. I have not looked recently to see if they have updated their transcoding or processing scenarios. Plex offers a great library organzation if you have a ton of media, however I am used to the kodi setup so I let Kodi handle the organization. My family is using Kodi for 2 plus years, they are familiar with it and I don't want to change it all up.

Since I am cheap, I have not ponied up to get an HDhomerun Extend or build an I5/I7 based HTPC. Thus I use my windows 10 machine to house the backend server and have my frontend with a smooth GUI to watchtv. The reason for the Raspberri Pi2 is that it can hardware transcode MPEG2 and only requires 3w's doing so(as well as cheap ). The down side to the RPI2 is that it is not considered DRM compliant thus I can't use it for such things as netflix, slingtv, etc...

The windows 10 machine feeds the RPI2 via ethernet cable. I have done it via a wireless router on 2.4 ghz and 5ghz connection.

I am considering a qnap NAS model 251+ that can serve as a nas, has a HDMI port with remote, can run a virtual machine and has built in hardware to transcode up to 5 streams at a time. However by the time i put 2 HDD's and buy the NAS it is well over $500. Ultimately this would be a dream scenario but again I am cheap and don't want to pony up...

As far as the antenna strength as long as the signal is strong you can put the tuners wherever you would like. I do like your suggestion of putting them closest to the antenna downfeed. My tuners are maybe 20 feet of cable away from the booster, my signal is strong, so I rarely see any pixelation, drops, etc...

The other thing to note is if you are not transcoding the pc's can run on pretty low standards. My windows 10 machine is a quad core fm2 AMD machine, even some of the new intel pentiums can best this thing. While playing games, the backend server doesn't slow my PC down a bit...

It looks like Photobucket is now going to charge for 3rd party hosting. Are there any other options?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    It looks like Photobucket is now going to charge for 3rd party hosting. Are there any other options?
    I use dropbox
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club