Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer help

Default Re: Computer help

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    Just for a point of reference with PS Vue in the Twin Cities for the Elite Slim pack $44.99/mo. You'd get your CBS and Fox locals, NBC and ABC on demand.

As far as channels you'd be missing from your list:

A&E
    Comedy Central
    Fuse
    MTV
    Nick
    Nick Jr
    Ovation
    Reelz
    Spike
    VH1
    WGN America

(Viacom must just be assholes for these providers to deal with.)

Plus you get ONDemand content and a cloud DVR.

You can use PS3/PS4, Amazon FireTV, Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV, Roku and computers to access the service.
    And many of the channels are on Hulu. Why do you need a channel if you can still get the content? That, teach is what I'm not following. You are artificially inflating the price by insisting on live TV for all those channels. Get the $20 package, get Hulu, and you'd be pretty close. Or a Vue package.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    And many of the channels are on Hulu. Why do you need a channel if you can still get the content? That, teach is what I'm not following. You are artificially inflating the price by insisting on live TV for all those channels. Get the $20 package, get Hulu, and you'd be pretty close. Or a Vue package.
    Content? You keep using that term. What does that even mean? Are you saying all those channels and shows I watch on those channels can be gotten in "content"? Or would I need to sacrifice some things? I already know the answer...

This reminds me of when you go to an "all inclusive" expecting normal or even decent 'beverages' only to find some weird off brands. You get Ron Diego or something like that.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    Content? You keep using that term. What does that even mean? Are you saying all those channels and shows I watch on those channels can be gotten in "content"? Or would I need to sacrifice some things? I already know the answer...

You don't have all the "content" I do. You don't pay PENNIES on the dollar like you say.

This reminds me of when you go to an "all inclusive" expecting normal or even decent 'beverages' only to find some weird off brands. You get Ron Diego or something like that.
    Do you seriously not understand what he means by content, or are you just being obtuse?

Content means the actual shows on that channel. Do you(or someone in your family) really like absolutely everything on VH1, or is it just a couple shows? And if those shows are available on Hulu or some other service, then why would you need VH1? Or having the FX Movie Channel. If you have access to all those same movies through Netflix or some other service, then why do you need FXM?

If I'm creating a list of channels I watch, I would include the Cooking Channel. But only because I watch Good Eats reruns. If I was considering cutting the cable cord, I would be looking to make sure I have access to Good Eats, not the Cooking Channel. This isn't rocket science unless you're bound and determined to make it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Do you seriously not understand what he means by content, or are you just being obtuse?

Content means the actual shows on that channel. Do you(or someone in your family) really like absolutely everything on VH1, or is it just a couple shows? And if those shows are available on Hulu or some other service, then why would you need VH1? Or having the FX Movie Channel. If you have access to all those same movies through Netflix or some other service, then why do you need FXM?

If I'm creating a list of channels I watch, I would include the Cooking Channel. But only because I watch Good Eats reruns. If I was considering cutting the cable cord, I would be looking to make sure I have access to Good Eats, not the Cooking Channel. This isn't rocket science unless you're bound and determined to make it that way.
    I really don't know. That's why I'm asking. Does it mean all shows on those channels or just some? I mean yeah I like getting under tscfs skin a bit but I am trying to learn about everything to see if it's right for us.

Edit...I don't need live TV. Not sure where he's getting that. That's why I am asking what content means. I think it'd be a tough sell for the wife though. Although live sports is an issue. How are the cord cutters watching the bison game on altitude tomorrow?
    Last edited by BisonTeacher; 01-14-2017 at 02:08 AM.

I really don't know. That's why I'm asking. Does it mean all shows on those channels or just some?
    It's going to depend on the channel and what you're interested in. The movie channels are just collections of movies. If you can get those same movies from another source, then that would be all the content for that channel (unless you absolutely have to have the Robert Osborne intro to TCM films).

Now take VH1. I don't watch it, but I spent a few minutes looking through their programming. It looks like it falls into three categories. Movies, old reruns, and new original shows. If you like VH1 for their movies, then you would check to see if those movies are available through another service. If you like those old reruns, same thing. If you like their new shows, then those are what you would look for.

For the most part, even new shows are soon available on services like Hulu or Netflix. You might not get the current episode until a week later, or maybe you won't get the current season until it's over, but you will get it. But there are a few holdouts. I think Viacom and the Discovery networks are not signing deals with the streaming services(but I could be wrong about that). If those families of networks have original programing that you just have to have, then cutting the cord might not be for you.

But most people don't fall into that category. But I think the biggest issue might just be changing your viewing mindset. We have been trained since childhood to view watching TV as a multiple choice test. We are provided a limited list of programs and we choose the one we like. DVRs have changed that mindset a bit, but it's still very ingrained among those of us not in our teens anymore. The internet TV model is more like an open-book, fill-in-the-blank test with no word bank. You can still see what's available, but you should really have an idea of what you want to watch before you begin. It's more powerful and potentially more rewarding, but it also requires a more active mindset.

I really don't know. That's why I'm asking. Does it mean all shows on those channels or just some? I mean yeah I like getting under tscfs skin a bit but I am trying to learn about everything to see if it's right for us.

Edit...I don't need live TV. Not sure where he's getting that. That's why I am asking what content means. I think it'd be a tough sell for the wife though. Although live sports is an issue. How are the cord cutters watching the bison game on altitude tomorrow?
    Teach, I'd suggest doing a trial of prime, Netflix, and hulu and see how much of your content is covered. Then, you will get why I am pointing out how thinking you need "channels" is outdated. Channels are really only pertinent anymore if talking live TV

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Teach, I'd suggest doing a trial of prime, Netflix, and hulu and see how much of your content is covered. Then, you will get why I am pointing out how thinking you need "channels" is outdated. Channels are really only pertinent anymore if talking live TV
    As I stated earlier...we already have Prime. Hulu looks to be another $12/month? Again, your claims don't hold up. YOu said you have everything I do and more, you said you pay pennies on the dollar. Both not true. where are you watching the Basketball game tonight? Do you have Altitude channel? Is it on one of those MLB packages you are talking about? Maybe I missed it but I didnt see it.

Again...I am not above cord cutting. I propbably will someday. But it has to make sense for my whole family....and for me...Im the biggest tv watcher in the house. Ideally I am hoping for a ala carte type service where I can pay for what I want and have it all in one place. maybe that will never happen. But right now for what you are "saving" Id be missing some of the stuff I like. Adding in up front costs and loss of some convenience of having everything on a directv dvr. its worth it to me...and a lot of other people. Like you said...to each their own. You do a great job of posting informative stuff here that helps people out, me included. But where I take issue with it is when you look down on people who havent cut the cord yet. It really is shortsighted...and Im really trying to use a nice word because you are my friend.

Some people like to pay to see a concert live and pay a premium for it. Some people are fine listening to the recorded music at home and dont want to pay $100 plus per seat. Are either of them wrong? No. They both are enjoying the music the way they like to.

Trumpster is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'm looking down on you because you have a giant ass list of channels you 'need' and I'm a cord never-er

It seems to me like you're just I want everything I have, without figuring out what you use and how you're using it first.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Hail Hydra.

As I stated earlier...we already have Prime. Hulu looks to be another $12/month? Again, your claims don't hold up. YOu said you have everything I do and more, you said you pay pennies on the dollar. Both not true. where are you watching the Basketball game tonight? Do you have Altitude channel? Is it on one of those MLB packages you are talking about? Maybe I missed it but I didnt see it.

Again...I am not above cord cutting. I propbably will someday. But it has to make sense for my whole family....and for me...Im the biggest tv watcher in the house. Ideally I am hoping for a ala carte type service where I can pay for what I want and have it all in one place. maybe that will never happen. But right now for what you are "saving" Id be missing some of the stuff I like. Adding in up front costs and loss of some convenience of having everything on a directv dvr. its worth it to me...and a lot of other people. Like you said...to each their own. You do a great job of posting informative stuff here that helps people out, me included. But where I take issue with it is when you look down on people who havent cut the cord yet. It really is shortsighted...and Im really trying to use a nice word because you are my friend.

Some people like to pay to see a concert live and pay a premium for it. Some people are fine listening to the recorded music at home and dont want to pay $100 plus per seat. Are either of them wrong? No. They both are enjoying the music the way they like to.
    I am a cord cutter. I would also say you are cutting cords without sacrificing something unless you get back into the dollar range of where you were at before cutting cords. Then I would say you were stupid because now you are paying for inconvenience just to show up the cable or satellite co.? That wouldn't make any sense. With my setup, I am paying less than 20% of what I was with cable or satellite but I had to sacrifice a lot. To me, the sacrifice was worth it. Looking at the one sling package with FSN seems fairly reasonable, but I would have to give up one of the other streaming services I have to justify it. So it is still going to be a sacrifice or way or another. For what we do get now, no one in the house is complaining (except me in the summer about Twins baseball) about what we are getting. There was a adjustment to our watching habits though.

1. We had to accept being a season behind in things we liked watching on cable networks.
    2. We had to accept we weren't watching any live sports not on OTA networks unless it was on ESPN3.
    3. We wrestle with the legality of some of Kodi's streaming add-ons and whether we are legitimately sharing or stealing. We haven't figured this one out yet, so we pretty much stick with the Kodi approved add-ons.
    4. To truly save money, there are concessions you have to make about quality. We don't get as much content in HD and 5.1 as we would with cable or satellite, but we do get a lot. This has only been a slight concession.

It is my opinion if one is looking for the same content as they are getting with cable or satellite through streaming services, they are going to be disappointed they are not saving money. They will have to work with multiple streaming services or possibly run into questions of legality. A person could easily replicate the amount of content with a player like Kodi and add-ons that will get you anything, but the jury is still out if it is legal only that there are ambiguous statements about it being illegal.

If a person is willing to make some sacrifices and accept some of the things in my list above, they will be very happy cutting cords and saving a ton of money. We are going on three years having cut cords and have generally loved it. We love not having to send the cable or satellite company a payment every month. We are happy with the content available to use through the couple of streaming services we subscribe to and OTA antennae. I also know it isn't for everyone.

With all the channels you watch, cord cutting probably isn't an answer for you...at least right now. Cord cutting is great for somebody who only watches a little tv a day (my wife and myself) or somebody with specific mainstream shows (Hulu), or somebody who likes to watch a whole series at a time (Hulu or Netflix). To get access to all the content you want would probably not save you much if any. I have access to everything I watched before, but I did not watch many of the channels you use. Cutting the cord isn't a one size fits all.

This has been been a pretty good discussion that has brought up some good points. Probably is getting time to derail it...cutting the cord...seems like there should be an izzy joke in there somewhere.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]