Page 43 of 54 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer help

Default Re: Computer help

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    You are saving 75.00 a month. But what are you still paying?
    $45 for internet and $20 for Sling.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    $45 for internet and $20 for Sling.
    Same as me. Best part is Sling has been offering $5 off with an Amex card X1, and I have 9 amex cards...... got my sport pack for football season free!

And Pat, you own your equipment, much of which has resale value if you want to upgrade, etc.

TSCF,
    Don't want to quote the posts...Getting too long. TWSS. But again my main concern was channel availability and convenience. You claimed you had all the channels I need. Did you look at my channel list and confirm? Thanks for the rest of the info. I will take a look at it.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    TSCF,
    Don't want to quote the posts...Getting too long. TWSS. But again my main concern was channel availability and convenience. You claimed you had all the channels I need. Did you look at my channel list and confirm? Thanks for the rest of the info. I will take a look at it.
    Simply go to www.sling.com and see the prices. I started to do that, but figured it is easier for you. Just realize that some of the channels are in orange, some in blue, and some in $5 add ons. I only do orange, and add the $5 sports pack during football.

Further, what exactly is "convenience?" Is it On Demand? If so, cutting the cable is for you. If it is I have to have a traditional interface with one single channel guide for everything with DVR, it is not for you. However, I can't wrap my mind around why anyone would find using an roku interface with apps "inconvenient." It really is no different than you phone.

And, if you want every one of those channels, you absolutely have to have every single one, I think it will eat into your savings. (I mentioned that already.) But why do you need "live tv" for many of those channels if you can get content on Hulu and other places? If you get NFL, MLB, MLB, absolutely no reason for FSN, NFL network as you would have the critical content FSN provides. Much of this whole thing is "unthinking" how you've done things.....if you are not ready for that, I understand, and you are doing the right thing in "negotiating" as they are terrified of people like me and others who do this. They know they've hosed people for years, and you now have some leverage.

BTW, had a bad typo in my post when I addressed channels; correct below. This was my answer to channel availability:

On channels, I'd encourage you to think about what you really need (all networks free on antenna) remember you may be able to get some "on demand" with Hulu, netflix, prime etc. You are going to pay a lot more if you want all of those (as live TV). See https://www.sling.com/ Note orange and blue packages. Also, they have multiple $5 add ons like the sports bundle. I think you'd be better off with Sling Orange + the $5 sports bundle for $25/month. Then, get Hulu for much of the rest of the content you are missing (great for kids stuff!!!!). (Yes, you will have a delay on a lot of that; can use Play On to fill in gaps to some degree.) So, say about $35 for your TV subscription (sling orange, sport pack, and hulu), but as high as you want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Simply go to www.sling.com and see the prices. I started to do that, but figured it is easier for you. Just realize that some of the channels are in orange, some in blue, and some in $5 add ons. I only do orange, and add the $5 sports pack during football.

Further, what exactly is "convenience?" Is it On Demand? If so, cutting the cable is for you. If it is I have to have a traditional interface with one single channel guide for everything with DVR, it is not for you. However, I can't wrap my mind around why anyone would find using an roku interface with apps "inconvenient." It really is no different than you phone.

And, if you want every one of those channels, you absolutely have to have every single one, I think it will eat into your savings. (I mentioned that already.) But why do you need "live tv" for many of those channels if you can get content on Hulu and other places? If you get NFL, MLB, MLB, absolutely no reason for FSN, NFL network as you would have the critical content FSN provides. Much of this whole thing is "unthinking" how you've done things.....if you are not ready for that, I understand, and you are doing the right thing in "negotiating" as they are terrified of people like me and others who do this. They know they've hosed people for years, and you now have some leverage.

BTW, had a bad typo in my post when I addressed channels; correct below. This was my answer to channel availability:

On channels, I'd encourage you to think about what you really need (all networks free on antenna) remember you may be able to get some "on demand" with Hulu, netflix, prime etc. You are going to pay a lot more if you want all of those (as live TV). See https://www.sling.com/ Note orange and blue packages. Also, they have multiple $5 add ons like the sports bundle. I think you'd be better off with Sling Orange + the $5 sports bundle for $25/month. Then, get Hulu for much of the rest of the content you are missing (great for kids stuff!!!!). (Yes, you will have a delay on a lot of that; can use Play On to fill in gaps to some degree.) So, say about $35 for your TV subscription (sling orange, sport pack, and hulu), but as high as you want to go.
    Convenience for me is not having too many different services to get the channels I want. If it's all in one place that's what I mean. I also never said live TV. I said all the channels. This all started when you said you had all the channels I watched. I haven't had time to look at slings offerings yet but based on your response I'm starting to have my doubts. I would think if you had all those channels you would know right?

If I just wanted content I could go to pirate bay.

Convenience for me is not having too many different services to get the channels I want. If it's all in one place that's what I mean. I also never said live TV. I said all the channels. This all started when you said you had all the channels I watched. I haven't had time to look at slings offerings yet but based on your response I'm starting to have my doubts. I would think if you had all those channels you would know right?

If I just wanted content I could go to pirate bay.
    Sling has the vast majority, but your would pay for it. It would be at least $45 month. But if you get the content other places like Hulu, why do you need them? That is what I am asking... Not to mention, play on can fill in gaps.

Hulu, tablo, sling, and about every other service have a roku app. Roku is open source since an android descendent....one interface for multiple apps much like a phone. All one place and you use what you need at the time. I find it very convenient... But maybe you are not ready. Just keep putting your provider over the barrel....

Sling has the vast majority, but your would pay for it. It would be at least $45 month. But if you get the content other places like Hulu, why do you need them? That is what I am asking... Not to mention, play on can fill in gaps.

Hulu, tablo, sling, and about every other service have a roku app. Roku is open source since an android descendent....one interface for multiple apps much like a phone. All one place and you use what you need at the time. I find it very convenient... But maybe you are not ready. Just keep putting your provider over the barrel....
    From his list, here is what is not available through Sling:

American Heroes Channel
    Big Ten
    Discovery Channel
    Fox Sports North
    Fox Movie Channel
    Fox News Channel
    Fuse
    Nick
    Ovation
    Reelz
    TLC
    WGN America

The rest would cost him $60/month. There are a couple packages he would have to get for a single channel. Sundance & VH1. He would get Nick Jr, but not Nick. Sounds like some of Discovery and American Heroes is on Roku, but maybe not everything. I suspect more or all of this shortened list is available elsewhere, but I'm not fluent in this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    From his list, here is what is not available through Sling:

American Heroes Channel
    Big Ten
    Discovery Channel
    Fox Sports North
    Fox Movie Channel
    Fox News Channel
    Fuse
    Nick
    Ovation
    Reelz
    TLC
    WGN America

The rest would cost him $60/month. There are a couple packages he would have to get for a single channel. Sundance & VH1. He would get Nick Jr, but not Nick. Sounds like some of Discovery and American Heroes is on Roku, but maybe not everything. I suspect more or all of this shortened list is available elsewhere, but I'm not fluent in this stuff.
    Hulu covers a bunch of the content and why I kept saying that.

Fsn is in sling I thought. But, unnecessary of you by mlb, NHL packages.

Hulu covers a bunch of the content and why I kept saying that.

Fsn is in sling I thought. But, unnecessary of you by mlb, NHL packages.
    I doubt I would pay for MLB and NHL. I am not a huge fan of either sport. And American Heroes channel is a must in my house. I love that channel. For those of you who dont watch it...its what the history channel used to be before it switched to a 24 hour pawn stars network.

Thats the thing, Teach, you have nothing I don't. That is the rub.
    So….What I am gathering is….the above statement is NOT true. Clearly from the posts above you do not have all the channels I do/want. I looked at the sports extra on Sling…it has a lot of the basic channels national but not the regional ones

Now, In all seriousness I really am interested in this stuff because I want to know about it and have all the options and when the time and the product is right for me to pull the trigger on it I will. It also give me options every year when I put directv “over the barrel” as you say. But to say…..

No reason for cable/satellite unless you like donating money.
    You are donating money. I can't imaging paying for direct TV when i get everything you do for pennies on the dollar. To each their own.
    …is as I already said …Shortsighted. You say I would have to decide which channels I REALLY want. I did…and all those channels were not available and the ones that are would cost me more to “add on” things. So I would have to sacrifice channels I or someone in my family likes to watch. If I wanted to save money by cutting channels I would just get the basic directv package!

In addition…some of us already have directv over the barrel. I call them every year and renegotiate. You guys are saying you pay about 65/ month for internet and sling. That would be 70 for me in the cities with the internet I have. Start adding on some of those extras and packages that I would want (including HBO subscription). How close does that get me to $100 or over? What if I pay 120 for internet and TV right now because I have directv ‘over the barrel’. Is the convenience of having it all in one place and not have to spend all the up front costs and time and effort worth 20$ a month? You damn right it is. (BTW… In glancing at slings packages, I got up to $85 just on sling alone, and that’s not including internet. AND thats not including all the channels I want.) Again...if I wanted basic cable...I would just change my directv package to basic cable.

Please keep posting the information about stuff you use and Costs etc. I do appreciate it and want to learn more. Im even going to break down your info above about the set up and I may even have more questions for you. I consider you a friend (although Im not sure your wife will let you hang out with me anymore), and I know sometimes its VERY difficult for you to see how other people think. You still probably think I am wrong now…and that’s fine. But like you said…to each their own.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I doubt I would pay for MLB and NHL. I am not a huge fan of either sport. And American Heroes channel is a must in my house. I love that channel. For those of you who dont watch it...its what the history channel used to be before it switched to a 24 hour pawn stars network.

So….What I am gathering is….the above statement is NOT true. Clearly from the posts above you do not have all the channels I do/want. I looked at the sports extra on Sling…it has a lot of the basic channels national but not the regional ones

Now, In all seriousness I really am interested in this stuff because I want to know about it and have all the options and when the time and the product is right for me to pull the trigger on it I will. It also give me options every year when I put directv “over the barrel” as you say. But to say…..

…is as I already said …Shortsighted. You say I would have to decide which channels I REALLY want. I did…and all those channels were not available and the ones that are would cost me more to “add on” things. So I would have to sacrifice channels I or someone in my family likes to watch. If I wanted to save money by cutting channels I would just get the basic directv package!

In addition…some of us already have directv over the barrel. I call them every year and renegotiate. You guys are saying you pay about 65/ month for internet and sling. That would be 70 for me in the cities with the internet I have. Start adding on some of those extras and packages that I would want (including HBO subscription). How close does that get me to $100 or over? What if I pay 120 for internet and TV right now because I have directv ‘over the barrel’. Is the convenience of having it all in one place and not have to spend all the up front costs and time and effort worth 20$ a month? You damn right it is. (BTW… In glancing at slings packages, I got up to $85 just on sling alone, and that’s not including internet. AND thats not including all the channels I want.) Again...if I wanted basic cable...I would just change my directv package to basic cable.

Please keep posting the information about stuff you use and Costs etc. I do appreciate it and want to learn more. Im even going to break down your info above about the set up and I may even have more questions for you. I consider you a friend (although Im not sure your wife will let you hang out with me anymore), and I know sometimes its VERY difficult for you to see how other people think. You still probably think I am wrong now…and that’s fine. But like you said…to each their own.
    Just for a point of reference with PS Vue in the Twin Cities for the Elite Slim pack $44.99/mo. You'd get your CBS and Fox locals, NBC and ABC on demand.

As far as channels you'd be missing from your list:

A&E
    Comedy Central
    Fuse
    MTV
    Nick
    Nick Jr
    Ovation
    Reelz
    Spike
    VH1
    WGN America

(Viacom must just be assholes for these providers to deal with.)

Plus you get ONDemand content and a cloud DVR.

You can use PS3/PS4, Amazon FireTV, Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV, Roku and computers to access the service.