Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer help

Default Re: Computer help

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    Had no problem at all. Took maybe five minutes to setup.

Hopefully CAS chimes in, he's clueless when it comes to technology too.
    Freaking frustrating because it seems like it should be simple as just plugging the dang thing in, let it find the wireless (had the router about 3 feet from it instead of the 16-18 feet. Tried every trick in the book and finally posted on their forum. Rebooted everything from Modem on down still same thing. From settings they're telling me to change seems must be a firewall setting that's not allowing it. I do have my router on a WPA2 security... but Chromecast app when you're setting it up should allow you to input that correct? I just haven't gotten to that point yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    If you use Windows, I recommend a touchscreen no matter the size of the laptop. In my experience with Win8 & Win8.1(2-ish years), the perceived difficulty with adapting to it is directly connected to whether you have a touchscreen or not. If you don't, Win8 is a pain in the ass. If you do, it's pretty great to use. You can get by if you make sure your touchpad is set up to do edge swipes, but nothing beats a touchscreen for the real thing. YMMV
    I can't imagine using Win 8 as it is meant to be used without a touchscreen. I'm sure it will be a bit odd for people on desktops to be using a touch screen in lieu of a mouse but they seem to be becoming more and more abundant so some people must be making the transition.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    Is it possible you have some spyware or malware? Also try clearing all the caches. Delete histories. Accesories/system tools disk cleanup.
    Considering how much time I spend on piratebay and other "questionable" websites, it's certainly possible that my computer's been infected with something. I haven't had any indications from WinDef, but I know that's not the most comprehensive security software. It's why a wipe/reload is on my to-do list. Tried all the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Considering how much time I spend on piratebay and other "questionable" websites, it's certainly possible that my computer's been infected with something. I haven't had any indications from WinDef, but I know that's not the most comprehensive security software. It's why a wipe/reload is on my to-do list. Tried all the rest.
    Its not a bad idea to reimage once a year anyways.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not looking forward to this change (adapting to the new windows), I've heard of people very frustrated . It's one of those things that I'm sure I'll get used to and wonder why we ever did it differently, but relearning everything I do after years and years will be a challenge, I'm sure. Probably good for my brain to learn something new though.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm not looking forward to this change (adapting to the new windows), I've heard of people very frustrated . It's one of those things that I'm sure I'll get used to and wonder why we ever did it differently, but relearning everything I do after years and years will be a challenge, I'm sure. Probably good for my brain to learn something new though.
    Or you could always install windows 7 on it.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

Did all the recommended settings last night to my network followed a precise plugin pattern and still nothing on chromecast apparently some TVs just don't allow it to ever pick up a signal. Think I am out of luck and take the thing back.
    Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    I have a Samsung RC512 note book---Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-2630QM CPU 2.00GHz 6.0 GB RAM with DVD and a bunch of other stuff. Its about to give up the ghost. Whats out there that is comparable as I dont know what all the numbers mean so really have no comparable knowledge.
    I bought it refurbished from WOOT and it cost me 749.00 in Dec 2010.
    Anything here comparable?

http://computers.woot.com/plus/jingl...s?ref=cnt_wp_4
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

If going by specs I'd say the 15.6 dell i-7 for 659 is "closest" to what you had processor wise etc. But no way to get "close" to something you bought in the past as they change so much over 2-3 years. I didn't dig into it other than look at what your old one was and what one in link came the closest. Personally I would put my money in a tablet (you can buy "laptops" that can be used like a tablet so you don't lose the keyboard) if you are not needing hard drive space while traveling. That is me and not you! Just my 2cents.
    Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

8.01 really sucks. How in the hell do you turn off the screen time out? You leave it alone for about a minute the screen goes black and you have to use a password to get back in. There are no back buttons. Having problems navigating as well. Cant find what I need. ARRRRGGGGGG
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    8.01 really sucks. How in the hell do you turn off the screen time out? You leave it alone for about a minute the screen goes black and you have to use a password to get back in. There are no back buttons. Having problems navigating as well. Cant find what I need. ARRRRGGGGGG
    Go to your desktop. Bottom right should be a battery icon next to your clock. Click the icon. Select "More power options". A window will open. On the left side of that window is a bunch of options about sleep mode, screen shutting off, lid closing, etc. Click on the ones you want and adjust the settings to whatever you want. Also, choose which power plan you want to use. I generally use High Performance whenever I'm plugged in, and Power Saver when I'm on battery.