Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer help

Default Re: Computer help

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    Google drive is the answer!!!
    Thanks.....
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Thanks.....
    So what do I use to get an embedded link? Ive got pix on google drive but when I get a shared link and post it there is no picture.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

So what do I use to get an embedded link? Ive got pix on google drive but when I get a shared link and post it there is no picture.
    I think Mr Moen is going to be the one with the step by step directions. Seems like he has used google drive for this. Hoping he chimes in to help further.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

Looking at some new lap tops. Was told to make sure it has a SSD. Ive found some that have the SSD but some also have HDD attached to it.
    Can anyone explain what that means?

Looking at some new lap tops. Was told to make sure it has a SSD. Ive found some that have the SSD but some also have HDD attached to it.
    SSD = Solid State Drive = Very fast
    HDD = Normal Hard Drive = Not as fast

So if a laptop has both an SSD and HDD, a very common setup is to use the SSD to boot up and put programs on while the HDD is used to put data on (like photos and documents.) That's a very good combo.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post

So if a laptop has both an SSD and HDD, a very common setup is to use the SSD to boot up and put programs on while the HDD is used to put data on (like photos and documents.) That's a very good combo.
    Thank you!!

Depending on the applications you typically use I'd also suggest considering a Chromebook vs a windows laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post

There are also hybrid drives that incorporate both an SSD and HDD component in a single drive. My iMac has one of these. It starts up and loads programs quickly like an SSD but then stores most of the data on the regular platters. This allows my 3TB drive from 2013 to be quite reasonable cost relative to the 500 MB SSD alternative back at that time.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    There are also hybrid drives that incorporate both an SSD and HDD component in a single drive. My iMac has one of these. It starts up and loads programs quickly like an SSD but then stores most of the data on the regular platters. This allows my 3TB drive from 2013 to be quite reasonable cost relative to the 500 MB SSD alternative back at that time.
    It's true that hybrids were worthwhile back then compared to SSDs, but that was when SSD prices were still sky high compared to their capacity. Economies of scale now mean that SSDs of decent sizes are very affordable and most all HDDs are actually now hybrids just to keep up. Since moving to an SSD a few years ago, I would never, never, never, never go back to using an HDD as a primary drive. The difference is unbelievable(if you get a decent SSD and not one of the crappy ones).

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    It's true that hybrids were worthwhile back then compared to SSDs, but that was when SSD prices were still sky high compared to their capacity. Economies of scale now mean that SSDs of decent sizes are very affordable and most all HDDs are actually now hybrids just to keep up. Since moving to an SSD a few years ago, I would never, never, never, never go back to using an HDD as a primary drive. The difference is unbelievable(if you get a decent SSD and not one of the crappy ones).
    No question that the SSD is the only way to fly if you can get one big enough. With high def video and stills these days you can chew up storage PDQ.

I’ve got an old 2008 Mac Pro that I retrofitted with an SSD boot drive about seven years ago or so. For data storage i populated the four internal bays with 15k spinners and configured them as RAID5. You press the power button on that thing, snap your fingers and the login screen is up. It is a BEAST! Only problem is they no longer provide software updates so it is stuck on an old version of MacOS. No inter webs for that horse anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Don't believe everything you think.