Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer help

Default Re: Computer help

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    It's true that hybrids were worthwhile back then compared to SSDs, but that was when SSD prices were still sky high compared to their capacity. Economies of scale now mean that SSDs of decent sizes are very affordable and most all HDDs are actually now hybrids just to keep up. Since moving to an SSD a few years ago, I would never, never, never, never go back to using an HDD as a primary drive. The difference is unbelievable(if you get a decent SSD and not one of the crappy ones).
    What would you consider big enough? 512-526 GB?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    No question that the SSD is the only way to fly if you can get one big enough. With high def video and stills these days you can chew up storage PDQ.

I’ve got an old 2008 Mac Pro that I retrofitted with an SSD boot drive about seven years ago or so. For data storage i populated the four internal bays with 15k spinners and configured them as RAID5. You press the power button on that thing, snap your fingers and the login screen is up. It is a BEAST! Only problem is they no longer provide software updates so it is stuck on an old version of MacOS. No inter webs for that horse anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I remember those 15k drives. My first system I had built by Gateway 2000 back in around '93 when they were still fully embracing their SD roots. Their cardboard boxes were printed with Holstein cow patterns. That one I had speced with a whopping 500MB SCSI drive. LOL

My second system I built myself around 1999 and stuck in a fairly early Seagate Cheetah drive. Want to say 4GB at 15k, but it could have been a 10k. Always wanted to build a RAID 5 system(or even RAID 0), but I never could justify it. I don't take photos or videos, and my storage needs are pretty low ever since I moved most of my limited video game playing to Steam. Now if I run out of space, I just uninstall a couple games and replace them. Just a few mouse clicks and I can swap games out easily.

I've been exclusively on laptops for something like 15 years. The series I've used has a modular bay that can accept a removable hard drive. So for quite a few years I had a fast HDD/SSD in the fixed slot and a bigger, slower HDD in the modular bay(when I wasn't using an optical drive or modular battery). Unfortunately for me, that laptop company decided to farm out its laptop division to Lenovo, so I'm looking around for a replacement. Intel switching over to a BGA for all of their mobile processors also killed the fun for me. I used to love buying a refurbished low-end laptop from the manufacturer's ebay site for 25-35% of its original price, then swap in a bigger faster hard drive, more RAM, and then head back to ebay in another 6-12 months to buy a used top speed CPU from a junked laptop. When I was done, I'd have put about $700 into a system that would have originally cost $2500-$3000. When Intel switched to BGA, it meant you were now stuck with the original processor forever and that massively limited the upgradability of laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    What would you consider big enough? 512-526 GB?
    That should be plenty big for the boot drive.

NDSUSR is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

$179 m.2 nvme drives are insane!

My last laptop I bought a couple of years ago, I went with a HDD, due to storage size. In hindsight I wish I would have went SSD. I was worried about space, but most of my pictures are documents are up on the cloud, so it really didn't turn into that big of a deal.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

I down loaded windows 11. When I put a memory card in the slot I go to c-drive to open it up. When it opens is shows all of the pictures in a list but I cant get windows media player to automatically show each picture in order which I was able to do in windows 10. Any suggestions?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    I down loaded windows 11. When I put a memory card in the slot I go to c-drive to open it up. When it opens is shows all of the pictures in a list but I cant get windows media player to automatically show each picture in order which I was able to do in windows 10. Any suggestions?
    Can you right-click in the folder, go to view, then select thumbnails? Something like that
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Can you right-click in the folder, go to view, then select thumbnails? Something like that
    Windows 11 can really mess up your mind. Doubt if this is your question but trying to figure out how to create a new folder was like huh!! Then I saw up in the top left hand corner where it said NEW...

Typical Microsoft changing stuff to how they think you should do it is better than you we think it should be.

MinotBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I am one of those rare individuals who does not own a cellphone (yet) but does own a laptop (Windows 10). I recently heard someone referring to videos they had seen on Snap. 1. Is Snap just another way to refer to Snapchat, or is it a separate video app? 2. Is there a way to download Snapchat onto a laptop? 3. If Snap is a separate app, where does one find it and how does one download it? I'll probably have a few follow-up questions but I will start with these.

Quote Originally Posted by MinotBison View Post
    I am one of those rare individuals who does not own a cellphone (yet) but does own a laptop (Windows 10). I recently heard someone referring to videos they had seen on Snap. 1. Is Snap just another way to refer to Snapchat, or is it a separate video app? 2. Is there a way to download Snapchat onto a laptop? 3. If Snap is a separate app, where does one find it and how does one download it? I'll probably have a few follow-up questions but I will start with these.
    Pretty sure they were referring to Snapchat and yes it is only available on smart phones.