Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Rule Change

Default Re: Rule Change

I could see high schools getting out of the athletics game. We might be the only country in the world where schools sponsor the athletic teams of these kids. Everywhere else it is community and business sponsored club teams.

I've never seen it broken down, but I wonder how much of property taxes support athletics? I know kids pay a fee to play, but that can't be covering the full cost. Club teams are fully supported by those who participate in those sports. No title anything concerns. You want a sport, start a club in the community, and if it popular enough, other communities follow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I could see high schools getting out of the athletics game. We might be the only country in the world where schools sponsor the athletic teams of these kids. Everywhere else it is community and business sponsored club teams.

I've never seen it broken down, but I wonder how much of property taxes support athletics? I know kids pay a fee to play, but that can't be covering the full cost. Club teams are fully supported by those who participate in those sports. No title anything concerns. You want a sport, start a club in the community, and if it popular enough, other communities follow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Probably not real clear but I'm sure if you go into your school's school board agendas and meeting minutes over a year you could get a good idea. The receipts from admission also help pay for it too that is probably where they get a fair chunk of revenue. Booster clubs help cover some of the costs also. Don't know if NDHSAA pitches in any maybe for tournament play.

The problem with clubs being supported by those playing and businesses is you'd eliminate a lot of the poor and poor communities. Which may have eliminated many of those that have gone on to be great athletes from becoming what they did. Maybe that is bad too?? I get that some cases there would/could be scholarships so to speak. But how many parents would put little Johnny/Sally in a sport and pay how many thousands (on top of the thousands they do now just to try to make them better) just to watch them warm a bench 95% of the time? The coach/parent issue would be even worse. You eliminate a lot of the casual athletes missing out on life lessons.

Idea is entriguing but not sure you could turn the tables on what has become the HS activities associations.

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

With the new kickoff rule, do you think there will be more long on side kick attempts? You know the longer kicks that bounce between the 30 and 40 in the open space? If every kickoff is going to start at the 25, it may make more sense to attempt these.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Looks like the uniform rules are tightening up.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post

More NFL-like bullshit. Will they fine the players too?
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by aces1180 View Post
    More NFL-like bullshit. Will they fine the players too?
    The umpire can prevent players from taking the field.

I hate the biker shorts that players are wearing, I'm glad that is going away.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The only change is requiring the knee pads to cover the knees. It was passed last year and they decided to give teams a year to comply. The previous rule required the knee pad but only recommended it cover the knee. Players were getting too liberal with that recommendation so the rule was changed. Officials hate to be the uniform police. We'll see how strictly we are asked to enforce it. The FBS guys tend to be more liberal and that trickles down. Players know these rules but they want to look cool so they'll do it until an official tells them no. The coaches hate it too.

I always thought that back plate could injure someone if it were flopping around
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I always thought that back plate could injure someone if it were flopping around
    I know a guy who has a player rupture his spleen when he landed on a player with his back pad flipped vertical. A player could fracture his back if he landed on his back with the back pad perpendicular when it hits.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I don't see anything wrong with forcing players to tuck in their shirts and cover their knees. (Yes, I'm turning into an old geezer.)
    It's OK to not be OK.