Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule Change

Default Re: Rule Change

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Correct. If a player fumbles the ball forward out of bounds in the field of play, the ball is brought back to the spot of the fumble. "in the field of play" is a key part of the rule. If the ball is fumbled into and out of B's end zone, then it is a touchback. Allowing A to keep the ball seems like a silly rule change to me. Don't fumble the football and you don't have a problem.

That is only true on 4th down or a try. Otherwise the offense can advance a fumble.

Then you have an illegal kicking foul against the defense. The result of the play would still be a touchback but A will accept the penalty and get the ball half the distance to the goal from the spot of the fumble (assuming it was beyond the previous spot). The down would be replayed unless enforcement put the ball beyond the line to gain.
    I'm 95% sure that on the replay, it showed the UNI player (toward the left hand side of the screen) accidently kicking the ball over to the sideline.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    The ref on the field said---the ball went in to the endzone spun back hit the pylon at which time it came back in to the field of play. A lot of crazy going on there. I didnt like the ruling BUT he shouldnt have fumbled the ball either.
    What happened in yesterday's game was the correct call for the current ruling, no dispute from me there.

I am saying that shouldn't be the rule in the first place and I would be interested to hear someone give justification to the current rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison06 View Post
    What happened in yesterday's game was the correct call for the current ruling, no dispute from me there.

I am saying that shouldn't be the rule in the first place and I would be interested to hear someone give justification to the current rule.
    I agee that the call was the correct one according to the rules. My only question is the rule it self and what is the reasoning behind that rule. Usually when a rule is made in the book I think there is an explaination of the rule itself.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

I think it is a stupid rule too. Its really not consistent with the other rules either. I think a better rule is to let the offense keep the ball on the 20.

This stupid rule benefitted the Bison last year vs UNI... one reason why the score was closer.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Opposing team should still get the ball, but at their own 1.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

It's a pretty messed up situation, but I really don't have an issue with the call. If a punt or kickoff goes OB in the endzone, it's a touchback.

The offensive team screwed up, they shouldn't be rewarded for screwing up. You have to have possession of the ball when you cross the goal line, and in this instance they don't. Maybe loss of down and a ten yard penalty from the previous spot, but I really don't have an issue with the current rule. Prevents fumbling into the endzone same as the 4th down rule.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

If this exact same thing happened the other way around everyone would be praising the rule. Just man up and take it.

Heres one for Indy though. The bs pass interference call, I had thought def pass int was a 15 yd penalty or 1/2 the distance to the goal if inside the 15.

When it was called the line of scrimmage was at the 9 yd line(it was 2nd and 9(goal))and they spotted the ball on the 2..
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21

Quote Originally Posted by Twentysix View Post
    If this exact same thing happened the other way around everyone would be praising the rule. Just man up and take it.

Heres one for Indy though. The bs pass interference call, I had thought def pass int was a 15 yd penalty or 1/2 the distance to the goal if inside the 15.

When it was called the line of scrimmage was at the 9 yd line(it was 2nd and 9(goal))and they spotted the ball on the 2..
    Isn't it a spot foul if it is less than 15 yards?
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Twentysix View Post

My manhood is fully intact thank you, I thought I had made it pretty clear in my initial post that yesterday's play had nothing to do with my opinion on the rule. So I would still be calling for a rule change had the situation been reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    Isn't it a spot foul if it is less than 15 yards?
    Thats what im asking.
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21