Thread: Question

Default Question

Does anyone know why we did a couple of swing passes to DJ yesterday instead of the little 5 yard hitch he does? that hitch seemed to work really well for us in the past and i dont know why it hasnt been called much this year.....

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Question

If by 5 yard hitch you mean . . . the center screen pass where DJ chips on the on coming rusher and then slips out (2 times successfully vs. MN)? The bison seem to protect that play deep in the vault, and only pull it out on very specially occaisions. We killed Robert Morris and MN with it, but it is used sparingly.

I think NDSU doesn't want teams to see a clear tendency of runnng that screen play too often, that's the only thing that makes sence to me. Duing the first two games of the year before MN, I could not believe that they had not run that center screen, so I think the coaches try to keep it in the vault, to keep the element of surprise. Watching film on NDSU, its easy to see how much success that play has generated, and the bison don't want teams to see it on film multiple times per game.

Great question, I have asked myself that question multiple times this year. DJ is very skilled catching it underneath and making big thing happen in 1-on-1 situations, where he usually wins.

99Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    If by 5 yard hitch you mean . . . the center screen pass where DJ chips on the on coming rusher and then slips out (2 times successfully vs. MN)? The bison seem to protect that play deep in the vault, and only pull it out on very specially occaisions. We killed Robert Morris and MN with it, but it is used sparingly.

I think NDSU doesn't want teams to see a clear tendency of runnng that screen play too often, that's the only thing that makes sence to me. Duing the first two games of the year before MN, I could not believe that they had not run that center screen, so I think the coaches try to keep it in the vault, to keep the element of surprise. Watching film on NDSU, its easy to see how much success that play has generated, and the bison don't want teams to see it on film multiple times per game.

Great question, I have asked myself that question multiple times this year. DJ is very skilled catching it underneath and making big thing happen in 1-on-1 situations, where he usually wins.
    Agree'd, on all accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by #1BISONFAN ASHLEY View Post
    Does anyone know why we did a couple of swing passes to DJ yesterday instead of the little 5 yard hitch he does? that hitch seemed to work really well for us in the past and i dont know why it hasnt been called much this year.....
    It's always nice when yards are gained. Seemed to work.