Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kill gets $1.2 million/year for 7 years

mebisonII is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Kill gets $1.2 million/year for 7 years

http://www.startribune.com/local/132533158.html

I didn't realize that Jerry Kill wasn't operating under a normal, full contract yet, but now he is. Aside from the fact that FBS coaches make a whole lot of money, the thing that surprises me is that anyone offers 7 year contracts with $600,000/yr buyout clauses to anyone, much less to a first time FBS head coach. I wonder what percentage of new contracts or contract extensions signed in the last 10 years have used the buyout?

On the other hand, the MN HC job is about as toxic as they come, so I imagine it takes a little extra to convince anyone to sign up.

If you are curious, that would put Kill in the range of the head-coach salary of Utah, UCLA, and Mississippi St (at elast as of 2010).

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...s-database.htm

Default Re: Kill gets $1.2 million/year for 7 years

Quote Originally Posted by mebisonII View Post
    http://www.startribune.com/local/132533158.html

I didn't realize that Jerry Kill wasn't operating under a normal, full contract yet, but now he is. Aside from the fact that FBS coaches make a whole lot of money, the thing that surprises me is that anyone offers 7 year contracts with $600,000/yr buyout clauses to anyone, much less to a first time FBS head coach. I wonder what percentage of new contracts or contract extensions signed in the last 10 years have used the buyout?

On the other hand, the MN HC job is about as toxic as they come, so I imagine it takes a little extra to convince anyone to sign up.

If you are curious, that would put Kill in the range of the head-coach salary of Utah, UCLA, and Mississippi St (at elast as of 2010).

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...s-database.htm
    I think Kill pushed for the 7 years because he knows its going to take at least 4-5 to turn the program around.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    I think Kill pushed for the 7 years because he knows its going to take at least 4-5 to turn the program around.
    You have to have those long contracts to sell the no coaching change thing to the recruits...especially at a program like Minnesota.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    You have to have those long contracts to sell the no coaching change thing to the recruits...especially at a program like Minnesota.
    Yes that is another piece of the puzzle.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Assuming that Maturi stays around, what are the chances that Kill doesn't last 4 to 5 years? I would say that Kill sees a quick exit if Maturi is the boss. Maturi will get pressure from the fan base, and he'll develop a quick trigger finger within that 4 to 5 year time frame. Thoughts???

Kill has already been an FBS coach. I think he'll get bought out soon, right after Maturi is run out of town. HOpefully that happens soon. I can't cheer for a team that is this bad year after year (yes, I am a Gopher fan!).

Quote Originally Posted by cbline View Post
    Assuming that Maturi stays around, what are the chances that Kill doesn't last 4 to 5 years? I would say that Kill sees a quick exit if Maturi is the boss. Maturi will get pressure from the fan base, and he'll develop a quick trigger finger within that 4 to 5 year time frame. Thoughts???
    If there isnt improvement he wont make it to 3 years. 4 tops. But MN gave him a feel good contract and it helps recruiting. We all know that contracts are basically worthless when it comes right down to it. All they do is write a check and its over.

Quote Originally Posted by HandoEX View Post
    Kill has already been an FBS coach. I think he'll get bought out soon, right after Maturi is run out of town. HOpefully that happens soon. I can't cheer for a team that is this bad year after year (yes, I am a Gopher fan!).
    Seriously Hando..................bwahahahahahhahahhaha!

mebisonII is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Wonder what # of wins Kill needs to make it to the last half of his contract?

3-5-6-6 And he might be ok?

4-6-7-7 And he's probably getting a statue outside TCF Bank?

Quote Originally Posted by mebisonII View Post
    Wonder what # of wins Kill needs to make it to the last half of his contract?

3-5-6-6 And he might be ok?

4-6-7-7 And he's probably getting a statue outside TCF Bank?
    The statue will also require a couple of 'decent' bowl wins and top half (ie, patsies dont help) B1G finishes. I wish this man the best and feel his pain every time the Gophers have a game.
    Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin