Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do I hate UNI?

Default Re: Why do I hate UNI?

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Yes, only MVFC. I am very guilty of not caring much at all about other NDSU sports.
    If true...and I have yet to hear that from anyone except NDSU fans...it would be due to the travel. UNI isn't a real big fan of having YSU in the conference either - except the guaranteed win every year (won 10 straight against them).

If Drake would put really effort into their football program UNI would love to see them in the conference...along with SEMO.

I hate to say this, because I don't want to get neg repped for it, but I'm sure UNI (along with every other MVFC school) would have loved to leave NDSU behind but bring SDSU, USD, and bring back EIU or bring in SEMO and drop YSU. The biggest reason NDSU got in is they were a package with SDSU and the Gateway needed teams with the departure of WKU. The MVFC/Gateway was always about trying to have a tight geographical conference to save money.

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    If true...and I have yet to hear that from anyone except NDSU fans...it would be due to the travel. UNI isn't a real big fan of having YSU in the conference either - except the guaranteed win every year (won 10 straight against them).

If Drake would put really effort into their football program UNI would love to see them in the conference...along with SEMO.

I hate to say this, because I don't want to get neg repped for it, but I'm sure UNI (along with every other MVFC school) would have loved to leave NDSU behind but bring SDSU, USD, and bring back EIU or bring in SEMO and drop YSU. The biggest reason NDSU got in is they were a package with SDSU and the Gateway needed teams with the departure of WKU. The MVFC/Gateway was always about trying to have a tight geographical conference to save money.
    you're not the first person to say that exact same thing. NDSU got where they did by keeping a strong relationship to SDSU throughout the transition, and vice versa. The UxDs, not so much.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    you're not the first person to say that exact same thing. NDSU got where they did by keeping a strong relationship to SDSU throughout the transition, and vice versa. The UxDs, not so much.
    I enjoy the games with NDSU, but to be 100% honest if the MVFC could ditch NDSU and YSU, bring in some combo of 2 of EIU, SEMO, Drake, WKU (dropping back down), etc... I would take it....if for no other reason than that is the way it was.

Call me old school and blah blah blah. The days when the football conference was the Indiana/Illinois boarder to Cedar Falls East to West was very nice (Missouri State is also an outlier but they have been there from the start)

I enjoy the games with NDSU, but to be 100% honest if the MVFC could ditch NDSU and YSU, bring in some combo of 2 of EIU, SEMO, Drake, WKU (dropping back down), etc... I would take it....if for no other reason than that is the way it was.

Call me old school and blah blah blah. The days when the football conference was the Indiana/Illinois boarder to Cedar Falls East to West was very nice (Missouri State is also an outlier but they have been there from the start)
    We love you, too.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

This thing about some of these conferences trying to tighten their footprints as much as possible bothers me. Obviously you don't want to be the Big Sky which covers probably 1/4 of the Earth's surface, but if this type of thing mattered the most among Midwest DI mid majors, NDSU might as well ditch the NCAA and join the CIS and play in the Canada West Conference, cause in case you don't know, Fargo is kind of out of the way. And a lot of schools in the Midwest have yet to come to terms with and accept that fact.

Besides, if your athletic department is pissing razorblades over the prospect of having to travel to Fargo once in a while and the cost it will bring, your athletic department may not have the commitment to excellence and winning that you think it does.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    This thing about some of these conferences trying to tighten their footprints as much as possible bothers me. Obviously you don't want to be the Big Sky which covers probably 1/4 of the Earth's surface, but if this type of thing mattered the most among Midwest DI mid majors, NDSU might as well ditch the NCAA and join the CIS and play in the Canada West Conference, cause in case you don't know, Fargo is kind of out of the way. And a lot of schools in the Midwest have yet to come to terms with and accept that fact.

Besides, if your athletic department is pissing razorblades over the prospect of having to travel to Fargo once in a while and the cost it will bring, your athletic department may not have the commitment to excellence and winning that you think it does.
    I realize your fan base doesn't value conference titles, but all of UNI's sports have been very very good, or very close to being very good.

NDSU in the MVFC isn't a bad thing, but if the footprint were smaller, there is nothing wrong with at.

Being in an all sports conference with NDSU would not be ideal by any means though. At that point travel costs will add up and hurt many programs.

SEMO is a crap school in a hellhole of a town, and it is further away from CF than Fargo is. Nobody, nobody wants SEMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 06panther10 View Post
    SEMO is a crap school in a hellhole of a town, and it is further away from CF than Fargo is. Nobody, nobody wants SEMO.
    You might want to check your distances again, but they are basically the same....distance wise.

Point still taken on the hell hole part though.

NDSU - 449 miles to Cedar Falls
    SEMO - 447 miles to Cedar Falls

So yeah those 2 miles are gonna break you
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

I realize your fan base doesn't value conference titles, but all of UNI's sports have been very very good, or very close to being very good.

NDSU in the MVFC isn't a bad thing, but if the footprint were smaller, there is nothing wrong with at.

Being in an all sports conference with NDSU would not be ideal by any means though. At that point travel costs will add up and hurt many programs.
    The thing that bothers me about some of you UNI fans is that in the real world, UNI's athletic department as a whole is not at such a level that's incredibly higher than NDSU that it has any right to espouse the notion that becoming conference peers with NDSU would somehow debase the entire Panther athletic program. Last I checked, NDSU's athletic budget in 2010 was $14.3 mill. I think UNI's was around $14.7 mill. (It could have been $16 mill, unless I have mistaken it with another school). Our FB program may not perform as well as you on the field face-to-face, but we have virtaually the same budget, and we make more money on FB than you and have more FB resources. In basketball, once the SHAC is built, NDSU's BB situation will be virtually identical to UNI's in the McLeod Center, except we'll be in a much inferior conference than you. You could only dream of having our baseball park, and it is a facility that the MVC could point to and say, "THAT's the type of ballparks our baseball teams play in." We're one of the tops in DI in track and field. Currently building a new indoor facility. Overall, NDSU has an athletic commitment that if you pointed to any fan of a major school and gave them the comparison with UNI, they would say, "These two programs are pretty much the same." Yet somehow it would be an INSULT to UNI for NDSU to be invited to the Missouri Valley Conference.

I've been waiting for years to express these feelings so eloquently.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz