Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Run Game

Default Re: Run Game

We aren't running the ball as much as we have the last few years, but we are still averaging 5 yards per carry. I like seeing the balance!

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan11 View Post
    What is just a little concerning for me is this. I figure that our O-Line is much more seasoned than last year. So, with that being the case no matter what defense we face we should be able to run the ball at will against our opponent. For our ground game to stuggle tells me that our O-Line is not dominating the way they should. I also hope that DJ's problems on Saturday were not because he is hurt. If our O-Line can do better run blocking against SIU we could end up winning the game rather easily because if our running game is going there would be no way to stop the passing game as well.
    Yes, teams are stacking the box, but no more than last year in my opinion. I think the difference is in the OL.

Turner has struggled at times at LT, especially last Saturday, but he is playing in a different position and there are nuances I am told in stance and footwork between RT and LT, and he is very young, learning the position.

Cornick was at RG last year and is very physical, like Richard is, and I think that physicality in the interior of the line made all the difference last year compared to this year. Gimmestad is a rookie, transitioning from DL, and while he moves well (pulling, getting to the second level), he is still not a physical OG in my opinion.

And another point, the Bison rarely run well or do well offensively against a 3-4 that ISU ran. We face another one when we play SIU this weekend.

But, to be honest, I don't think the OL in its current configuration has jelled yet. I also don't think they were at their peak after four games last year either, so I expect dramatic improvement over the next few games, but I fail to see anymore teams in the box this year than last. We just have to let Fuchs do his magic.

Neil, I can understand the concern, but the last two teams were not slouches who were also trying to win the game. Plus, we have time as you pointed out! Have I switched places with Gabe? He has been more negative where I have been more positive. Is the world upside down?