Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Run Game

mebisonII is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Run Game

What's everyone's opinion of our run game this year? Just looking at the stats (haven't made it to any games this year) it is strange to see us only break 200 yds rushing once out of 4 games. Especially after years of getting used to our feature back getting 200 yds/game multiple times a year himself.

Is this just a function of our new-found ability to pass (seeing 200+ yds in the air is just as strange as under 200 rushing)? Or is our o-line just not as powerful as it has been other times?

In other words, say we hit a team with a lock-down secondary....could we still grind out the yards on the ground?

Just curious what those who have seen the team play think.

Default Re: Run Game

Teams are stacking the box and selling out on the run, IMO we could have passed for a lot more yards if we were more aggressive the past few games.

I think they could have hit Warren deep most of the 2nd half with a play action. He was single covered a lot. Safety looked more like a linebacker on many plays.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Teams are stacking the box and selling out on the run, IMO we could have passed for a lot more yards if we were more aggressive the past few games.
    Exactly! NDSU should have worked ISU over in the pass game. NDSU needs to start throwing over the middle........it was open all day yesterday.

I'm just glad we can actually discuss our passing game as a positive!!!!
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Snowgoose is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

In yesterdays game I noticed DJ running alot like he did his freshman year. It seemed like we was doing a lot of juking. I am also not sure why Lang is not used a little more especially in short yardage. Last year as a freshman he did really well in this area and even averaged more yards per carry than anyone else on the roster as a freshman. Now I know he had some time in mop up, but he ran quite hard and I personally would like to see him get some carries. Anybody know what is up with him getting zero carries any more.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Exactly! NDSU should have worked ISU over in the pass game. NDSU needs to start throwing over the middle........it was open all day yesterday.
    Also when we ran the stacked receivers on both sides if Brock would have looked left every time he would have seen two WIDE OPEN WR's who both would have scored. He definitely mis-read the defense as they only had one DB to cover 2 WR's, and then one of those times that DB blitzed. I thought we left ALOT of points out on the field yesterday.

As far as the lack of running, teams are still putting at least 8 in the box. I think if we are going to try and run we need to run a bit more out of the 3 WR set when we have their defense more spread out. When we put 10 guys in the box they are going to do the same thing. When we have 3 WR's normally most teams are only going to have 7 in the box.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    In yesterdays game I noticed DJ running alot like he did his freshman year. It seemed like we was doing a lot of juking. I am also not sure why Lang is not used a little more especially in short yardage. Last year as a freshman he did really well in this area and even averaged more yards per carry than anyone else on the roster as a freshman. Now I know he had some time in mop up, but he ran quite hard and I personally would like to see him get some carries. Anybody know what is up with him getting zero carries any more.
    My opinion even though he has talent, I think Lang is a distant third right now. Alot of his carries last year came with Ojuri not on the team.

Run game has not overly impressed me this year, but you guys are right that teams are definitely stacking up on us, just kind of was under the impression that we would somehow get through them consistently anyway.
    Stu Whitney@stuwhitney4mSurprised Harvard missed out. MT @AllHailTank: Well I guess I got watt I wonted I will take my talents and higher my education at UND.
    LAKESBISON 3/4/2006-4/15/2011 Forever in our hearts

Former representative of 3rd Floor Johnson
    Current representative of 12 St. N Fargo

Biggest difference between this year and last year is that teams are stacking it up and Brock and the receiving corps are making them pay. Sooner or later other teams are going to have to pick their poison.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.