Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dexter Werner Interview

Default Dexter Werner Interview

Jack Michaels talked with recent Bison commit Dexter Werner this afternoon about selecting the Bison, sounds like a good kid who will fit into the program perfectly! http://740thefan.com/uploads/Dexter%20Werner.mp3

devin45k is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Dexter Werner Interview

Glad he chose NDSU over Cal-Poly, SDSU, and Lehigh

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I have been watching Dexter since he was starting at Bismarck high as a freshman. Big kid, physical play wont be a problem! He has been primary a back to the basket guy though, and at 6-5 is a little on the short side for the 4 or 5 spot! It will be intersting to see if he can get comfortable playing a little further from the basket.

devin45k is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    I have been watching Dexter since he was starting at Bismarck high as a freshman. Big kid, physical play wont be a problem! He has been primary a back to the basket guy though, and at 6-5 is a little on the short side for the 4 or 5 spot! It will be intersting to see if he can get comfortable playing a little further from the basket.
    My sister, former BHS student and freshman Umary track and field athlete, Is not sure he is physical enough for it. I disagree and if not yet, I am sure he will learn.

im still a little skeptical. he seems a little undersized. i know we playi n the summit league where undersized post players exist. but not sure he has a set position or fits well at the DI level. time will tell

BFKasper14 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I was following high school basketball pretty closely this past year. I went to the state tournament in the Fargodome and got to watch Dexter Werner play...
    He is a big physical kid at 6' 5" and 240 lbs. The big question mark is where do they play him? Yes he shot 52% but how much of that 52% was on post up plays against a high school post player where he played as a post. In college basketball, you can not be 6'5" and go up against a 4 or 5 guy that is 6'9 or 6'10. I want to know where they are going to play him. He didn't attempt ANY three pointers last year, and shot 50% from the foul line so his outside shooting is a questionmark too...

My friend and I both thought the same thing at the state game. That he didn't look like a division 1 basketball player.

Now, that being said...he could grow a couple inches which would be great. That would give him a way better shot at playing a 4 or 5 with his strength. This is a questionable move by the Bison IMO...It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Strommer10 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'm surprised by NDSU going after Dexter. Every time I've seen him play, I thought his college sport would be football. He's got the frame to play on the football field, but he's a little bit short for the back to the basket post he likes to be on the court. He is athletic for his size but his shoot definitely worries me. He does have a couple years to work on it (assuming he redshirts). I have nothing against recruiting the best ND players, but I think this is a curious move by the Bison.

It really sounds like his AAU season tipped the balance. It'll be interesting to see how his HS season goes.

If the Bison weren't after him and he went out of state, everyone would be asking "why didn't NDSU go after him?".

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    If the Bison weren't after him and he went out of state, everyone would be asking "why didn't NDSU go after him?".
    Not me. I'm skeptical but I hope he turns out to be a stud. I hope this wasn't done to appease whomever is putting pressure on Saul to sign a ND kid.
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt