Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Offensive game plan against Gophers

tcbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Offensive game plan against Gophers

This from http://www.startribune.com/blogs/Gridiron_Gold.html

Defensively, the Gophers are ninth in scoring allowed, last in passing yards and passing efficiency, and a surprising fifth in rushing defense. They are allowing a league-worst 71.1 percent completion rate, and are the only Big Ten team without a sack.
    So do you think Vigen would come up with a game plan to throw the ball against the Gophers? Maybe even on first down? Or will it be just run-first like it always is? Personally, I think Vigen's game plan will be to run first at all costs against every opponent. To keep the defense guessing I think it would be smart to come out throwing the ball, and then run the ball down the Gophers throats. I would love to see them mix it up like they did against Central Michigan(Vigen wasn't the offensive coordinator back then).

Default Re: Offensive game plan against Gophers

Quote Originally Posted by tcbison View Post
    This from http://www.startribune.com/blogs/Gridiron_Gold.html

So do you think Vigen would come up with a game plan to throw the ball against the Gophers?
    Vigen game plans? Weird

Quote Originally Posted by Risin'Bison View Post
    Vigen game plans? Weird
    dammit. 2 mins too late.

Have we ever had a custom offensive game plan for a particular opponent?

I thought it was always this for every opponent.

Run
    Run
    Pass
    Punt
    Pray the D gets a turnover.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

Heh, pretty sure that NDSU passed on at least 50% of first downs if you don't count the two first downs inside their own five in the first quarter. Also pretty sure a pass was called when Holloway jumped off sides that one first down.

vigens inability to mix things up are definitely not going to keep the gophers coaching staff awake at night.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Heh, pretty sure that NDSU passed on at least 50% of first downs if you don't count the two first downs inside their own five in the first quarter. Also pretty sure a pass was called when Holloway jumped off sides that one first down.
    I was about to say the same thing. Plus, there were quite a few new/different plays that were called in the game Saturday. I'll be interested to see what changes again are made for the next game. I honestly think the offensively coaching staff has stepped it up so far, which has alot to do with new/more experience personnel.

I dont care if we run the ball 85% of the time if it looks like we have the game in hand. Why does it matter if we pass the ball when the games going our way? We will do what we have to do to win the game. Period.

Till I Die, Bison Football

KTF is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think we may have done a slant route with Holloway on a few plays as well. I can remember one being for a first down on saturday night. I don't get all this Vigen hating business. It seems as Brock matures so does Vigen's play calling. Maybe Vigen is an ok OC that is working within the players ability.

Has NDSU ever been a passing team first, run second. Everybody knows the first thing they are going to try to do is run it down your throat... This is what this team is built for.

Play conservative no need to make stupid mistakes Minnesota sucks I mean new Mexico state thats embarrasing....have no fear jerry kill is here I heard the really miss him at southern Illinois lol

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    From the stats it appears that over the first two games the Bison are a perfect 60:40 rush: pass over all offensive plays, don't know about what they did on first down. Against St. Fran they ran 28 times out of 47 offensive plays for 59.6%, so the two games have been very close to the same mix.

That is probably where Bohl wants it and it is about where Kill wants the Gophers to be. I heard Jerry say on his pre-season BTN interview that their offense shoots for 60-65% run plays, but a lot of those are with the QB.