Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What If Everything Worked Like BCS:

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: What If Everything Worked Like BCS:

Quote Originally Posted by Bison06 View Post
    If you are sick of hearing Boise whine, I can think of a pretty easy way to shut them up. First round playoff game @ Alabama or wherever(which I think they might win by the way).
    My precise first words in this thread were - "I'd be game for the playoff system if only to watch Boise State get their whiny asses handed to them when it matters most."

So, um, yeah. We're on the same page with the playoffs argument.

I just tend to think BSU's record is vastly inflated beyond their talent. I also believe that their OOC record is better than it would be if they had to play better competition in conference. They are able to get UP UP UP for the OOC game, even when it is just another game to their competition. Likewise, they haven't been beaten up by the other tough games on their schedule.
    Insert something clever here...

Obviously they play an easy schedule, but that comes partly from nobody wants to play them after Oklahoma was made a fool of in the Fiesta Bowl, which for me was by far the most entertaining football game I've ever watched personally. So ironically they're a victim of their own success perhaps? For the most part they've beat teams they're suppose to beat and a few that nobody thought they would! Not just one or two years they've done it pretty consistently the last 4-5 years, do I think they could have beat Alabama last year mmm probably not but the issue is they don't even get to try not whether they could beat them or not for me. Yes they've lost games here and there that they should have won. Hmm NDSU lost to SDSU one year in a game they should have won does that mean we're not as good as we think we are?

zooropa is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 344Johnson View Post
    They lost to Nevada.
    They lost a close game in overtime to the #19 team in the country; by the end of the season, Nevada had a #11 ranking. So don't let's make it seem like Nevada was oh, say, on a par with Indiana, Vandy, Kentucky, Minnesota, Colorado, Baylor, Washington State or UCLA last year.

Quote Originally Posted by zooropa View Post
    They lost a close game in overtime to the #19 team in the country; by the end of the season, Nevada had a #11 ranking. So don't let's make it seem like Nevada was oh, say, on a par with Indiana, Vandy, Kentucky, Minnesota, Colorado, Baylor, Washington State or UCLA last year.
    I'd have taken Kentucky with Randall Cobb over Nevada.
    Stu Whitney@stuwhitney4mSurprised Harvard missed out. MT @AllHailTank: Well I guess I got watt I wonted I will take my talents and higher my education at UND.
    LAKESBISON 3/4/2006-4/15/2011 Forever in our hearts

Former representative of 3rd Floor Johnson
    Current representative of 12 St. N Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by zooropa View Post
    BSU and Nevada have the same issue. In-conference games are generally bad unless playing each other. It is hard to know if a #11 ranking is even valid. Stats are meaningless to help figure out the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    I'd be game for the playoff system if only to watch Boise State get their whiny asses handed to them when it matters most.

I am so tired of the stupid BSU crap. You guys give Montana crap for playing such a weak schedule but still look up to Boise State somehow. I really don't get it. Their only good games are the OOC games they schedule...which are definitely good and which is why they have any credibility at all. You still cannot consistently play 8 bad teams a year and be taken seriously just because you won them and still had the gas to play up a couple of OOC games. At least Utah had some common sense and moved to a better conference. Perhaps Boise State will wise up while the current conference shuffle builds steam. Too bad nobody will want them...

Hopefully a playoff system puts their stupid argument to rest some day.
    Didn't Boise just change conferences from the WAC to the Mountain West? I realize that's still not the Big Ten or SEC but still. What are they supposed to do, not play the teams in their conference?
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    Didn't Boise just change conferences from the WAC to the Mountain West? I realize that's still not the Big Ten or SEC but still. What are they supposed to do, not play the teams in their conference?
    Of course I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that the whole "we're a victim of our conference weakness" crap gets old. It would be like NDSU claiming that we're as good as a high BCS team just because we are solid in FCS. There's just no way of knowing unless the full slate of games are comparable, not just head-to-head games.

zooropa is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    BSU and Nevada have the same issue. In-conference games are generally bad unless playing each other. It is hard to know if a #11 ranking is even valid. Stats are meaningless to help figure out the answer.
    The MWC is definitely in worse shape now; however, I hesitate to put the Pac-12 in a whole other realm as compared to the MWC, Big East & ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    This video is SOOOO true.

The BCS basically goes against the ideas that America was founded upon.
    It impliments a caste system.
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21