Page 25 of 74 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Tailgating Policy

Default Re: Football Tailgating Policyl

Love tailgating but hate the hunt for parking, the setup, the cleanup, all that ... work?
    Former McDonald's Chief Marketing Officer Neil Golden has the solution for your chichi ways: Tailgater Concierge.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...908-story.html
    Rule #76: No excuses, play like a champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    http://www.valleynewslive.com/home/h...vice=phone&c=y

NDSU Refunds Hundreds of Parking Tickets, But Fans Won't Get A Second Chance
    Yeah all those tickets were BS- people weren't parked in Ag plots, they were parked on the street or on gravel roads- ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Bison55 View Post
    Yeah all those tickets were BS- people weren't parked in Ag plots, they were parked on the street or on gravel roads- ridiculous
    Why would people park that far out? I guess I agree it's somewhat stupid they got tickets if they actually weren't on the plots themselves, but only takes one idiot to ruin a portion of the plots some of those aren't real large areas.

What irked me is they cut off access to the grass lot just west of JD building, north of the Rugby fields. Nothing there but grass. By time we usually show up all the pay lots in this area are filled, and this grass lot allows us easy access to get on 19th and go west as we live in Hillsboro. Surprisingly the R lot was jammed full even with the new extension on it. Not necessarily about free parking for me it's more of having the ability to go north and west which I can't out of anything east of Albrecht is tough. Option to park in NDSCS lot or the NE corner of the East lot, but we like to walk thru tailgating, plus our seats are on the west side of the dome. So it's a pain both sides of the game there. Might try out the lots west of the high rises little farther than grass lots but not that bad if you cut around Newman.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Why would people park that far out? I guess I agree it's somewhat stupid they got tickets if they actually weren't on the plots themselves, but only takes one idiot to ruin a portion of the plots some of those aren't real large areas.

What irked me is they cut off access to the grass lot just west of JD building, north of the Rugby fields. Nothing there but grass. By time we usually show up all the pay lots in this area are filled, and this grass lot allows us easy access to get on 19th and go west as we live in Hillsboro. Surprisingly the R lot was jammed full even with the new extension on it. Not necessarily about free parking for me it's more of having the ability to go north and west which I can't out of anything east of Albrecht is tough. Option to park in NDSCS lot or the NE corner of the East lot, but we like to walk thru tailgating, plus our seats are on the west side of the dome. So it's a pain both sides of the game there. Might try out the lots west of the high rises little farther than grass lots but not that bad if you cut around Newman.
    R lot will have plenty of room for all games after Homecoming.

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Football Tailgating Policy

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I was walking through the far west lot before the game and had a couple of observations. They need to number that lot and assign spots as they pay. Extremely inefficient parking of rigs. I don't have a problem with whatever kind of rig someone wants to tailgate with, but there are guidelines as to how they are to utilize space. It wasn't being used properly and more people could be engaging in tailgating if they numbered the parking spots, had them preset by rig type, and assigned them as people paid. While I do think the ultimate solution is to have the unreserved portion sold online on Tuesday, which would avoid the lines. I know they want the unreserved part so people have the opportunity to participate on a week by week basis, but they could make it happen earlier in the week with an online arrangement just like ticket sales.

NDSU could be making a killing with premium spots with outlets on their grassy lots between the research buildings. A surcharge for plugging in so no need for generators and painted off spots.

Lastly, I have been kicking around an idea and figured I would introduce it to BV to see if people here would think there would be interest. This would extend earlier than football games and there is need here, so I am not worried about it being just a 4 to 6 weekend a year proposal. Would people be interested in a campground where there would be live music on Friday and Saturday night, shuttles to the game on Saturday, and a full on party like atmosphere over a Bison home game weekend? There are some locations within 15 minutes of the dome which would be perfect for this that are still remote enough to not bother private homes. Basically a weekend long offsite tailgating experience with full campground amenities and transportation to and from the game.

Interesting idea about a campground for the night before. I would think somebody could make a nice little business out of that.

As great as you guys are at tailgating, it seems like your system just doesn't work for you.

See the aerial shot below of Jack Trice Stadium in Ames for the size of Iowa State's tailgating. And this doesn't even include the grass lot rented by your AA (grrrr) that is below the bottom of the pic. And you can double or maybe triple the number of vehicles when you add the other grass lots and the neighborhoods nearby that aren't in the picture.

The lots in the pic are marked into 24 sections (8 around the stadium and 16 in the big square). And some of the nearby grass lots require passes. Donors can buy passes for $50 (per season ) along with their season ticket order. You get a pass for your lot based on your donation level and preference. Several of the big grass lots are public ($20 per game) and one big grass lot is privately owned. They have a parking company that employs people who seem like they are probably otherwise unemployed to guard entrance to the lots. And it works. Very rarely is there a problem.

And we rarely even see a cop. You nearly have to barf on them while them cussing them out in a drunken stupor to get arrested.

Aerial photo during Iowa game.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post
    Interesting idea about a campground for the night before. I would think somebody could make a nice little business out of that.

As great as you guys are at tailgating, it seems like your system just doesn't work for you.

See the aerial shot below of Jack Trice Stadium in Ames for the size of Iowa State's tailgating. And this doesn't even include the grass lot rented by your AA (grrrr) that is below the bottom of the pic. And you can double or maybe triple the number of vehicles when you add the other grass lots and the neighborhoods nearby that aren't in the picture.

The lots in the pic are marked into 24 sections (8 around the stadium and 16 in the big square). And some of the nearby grass lots require passes. Donors can buy passes for $50 (per season ) along with their season ticket order. You get a pass for your lot based on your donation level and preference. Several of the big grass lots are public ($20 per game) and one big grass lot is privately owned. They have a parking company that employs people who seem like they are probably otherwise unemployed to guard entrance to the lots. And it works. Very rarely is there a problem.

And we rarely even see a cop. You nearly have to barf on them while them cussing them out in a drunken stupor to get arrested.

This is exactly why many of us are so frustrated about this as we've been to Aimes and even Brookings for cripes sake. Yet, somehow making it hard for donors/avid fans to tailgate is considered good policy in Fargo. And still, the folks in the know won't post who these, to borrow an El Chapo term, "small time" thinkers are. I have contacted Mr. Larson to express my frustration and plan on bending the President's ear when I see him at two upcoming engagements, but I really think this is somehow out of their hands as their is no rational reason for this.

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    This is exactly why many of us are so frustrated about this as we've been to Aimes and even Brookings for cripes sake. Yet, somehow making it hard for donors/avid fans to tailgate is considered good policy in Fargo. And still, the folks in the know won't post who these, to borrow an El Chapo term, "small time" thinkers are. I have contacted Mr. Larson to express my frustration and plan on bending the President's ear when I see him at two upcoming engagements, but I really think this is somehow out of their hands as their is no rational reason for this.

If there ever was a fan base that deserves the support of the institution, it is you guys. Seems like your Alumni Association takes better care of you on the road than the rest of the institution does at home. Its too bad. I'm still envious of the parade of buses that drove past our tailgate in Ames.

Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post

I had a couple of thoughts about your post.

1. My camping idea is to compliment the tailgating experience. We like our parties here and I am just wondering if there is interest in turning the 6 home games, or at least 4 while the weather is still somewhat moderate, into a weekend event. The immediate F/M area also has limited camping all summer, so my idea has goal of fulfilling a couple of objectives. The couple of campgrounds currently in the area are consistently overbooked, flooded until June, or an hour away in the lakes area. There probably is a need for one more campground in the area, if it is done right. The fall home game event filled weekends would be a bonus if there was interest. I am just curious if there is interest because that is a major reason why I would want to start securing financing from the couple of people I know with the money to make it happen.

2. I kind of disagree with the statement the system doesn't work. It isn't like it is a terrible system, it is just a system still in its infancy. They are still trying to figure out how to do it and do it right. There probably is a concern not to piss off the old guard in all of this, but there is also a culture here to move slowly with change and try to do it right the first time. I remember growing up and the shithole up north was putting the bridge over the train tracks to connect the north and south parts of columbia avenue. People said GF did it too quickly and didn't put in enough lanes. Fargo would have taken another 5 years to do the project but would have had enough lanes when it opened. That is kind of the mindset that goes on here with everything. It takes this community forever to move on a project but when they do it, it generally is done right with the least amount of effort. Then when the time comes to adapt to growth, there is only one change required instead of 6. It is frustrating, but eventually everything catches up. I give Fargo credit that when they do something, very rarely is something outdated when they are finished and they have built in a long life span into their projects. I have seen other communities and colleges rush to meet changes, underestimate long term demand, and have to play catch-up a lot sooner than they would like. So the short story is the tailgating will get worked out and when it does, it will be a lasting solution which will make most people happy for a long time. The couple of years of misery will be forgotten.

Has the GA tailgating line started forming for homecoming yet?
    Last edited by pwbnd; 10-01-2015 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Honeybooboo is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by pwbnd View Post
    Has the GA tailgating line started forming for homecoming yet?
    if NDSU wins Saturday it will start..