Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Going too far?

Default Re: Going too far?

Quote Originally Posted by ming01 View Post
    no emotions in sports. good idea
    Geez. Really?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    The TD only gets called back if the penalty happens outside the endzone. Otherwise it will basically be the same as it was previously, on the point after or the kickoff. I don't mind this rule because it should only delay the celebration in theory. Why would any player change what they do after the TD is done from what they've done before, it's the same at that point.

I guess I have the old school mentality because playing in HS our coach was pretty strict as are the ND HS football rules on celebrations, essentially you're only allowed to celebrate as a team (the 9 or 11 players on the field) and the ball has to be handed to the ref as soon as possible.

I think Bohl probably has a pretty good handle on it as you don't see too many "taunting" activities going on or stupid celebrations, and on big plays you see a lot of coaches "reminding" players to stay off the field.

In Josh's case last year it could have slid as he wasn't directing it at a player but could have been penalized for it. Probably wouldn't hurt to do a little scouting on officials to see how they call a game (have to imagine that happens some anyway and just from previous experience I would think?).
    You are correct. There were no changes to what is/is not an unsportsmanlike (UNS) foul. The change was the enforcement spot. Live ball fouls are generally enforced from the end of the related run, the spot of the foul, or the previous spot. This was an exception to enforce a live ball foul as if it was a dead ball foul. The rules committee (made up of coaches not officials) changed the penalty enforcement to treat a live ball UNS as a live ball foul.

This didn't happen that often in the past and I doubt you'll see it much at all this Fall because coaches will strongly enforce it in practice. I worked a scrimmage last Spring and a player did something like this in the scrimmage and the covering official didn't flag it. The coach asked us what he did and we explained it and he asked us to treat it as a live ball UNS because he wanted his guys to take it seriously.

This rule was passed 2 years ago with implementation this year so the coaches have been aware of it for awhile.

Over time, every sport has rule changes; players and coaches (and fans) need to accept them, deal with them, and move on. People didn't like the alternating posession rule in basketball......people didn't like the malicious contact rule in baseball (I'm talking high school, legion, and college here) where a player dips a shoulder and tries to dislodge the baseball from the fielder. It was a good rule change that prevented a lot of injuries particularly to catchers IMO. So, now football has a rule penalizing certain behavior.....let's see how it pans out, then decide.

just because there's a rule doesnt mean it's any good.

Scooter1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This is a rule that teams can control. I do know that the first Bison player to have a TD called back is going to get crucified on this board. especially if we have to settle for a FG and lose by 3 points.

I have never understood the mind set of all the celebration after a tackle or a TD. I never understood the mind set of guys celebrating a big hit after a 6 or 7 yard gain. For God sake, if it is 2nd and 3, stop celebrating..you didn't do so hot on that play in the first place.

I keep thinking about the defensive back that NDSU lost to injury in the 90's. He scored a TD after an INT in one of the first games of the season and then was lost for that season due to a stupid injury that occured while his team mates were mobbing and jumping all over him. Can't remember his name, but I think he was a Valley City kid.

Football is entertaining, in and of itself. The taunting and over-celebration doesn't make the game better in any way. For me personally, I don't need anything more than the game to be entertained. I just don't get that group of people who need more entertainment at a football game than the actual chess match between the two teams.

If you work hard in practice all week and then drive 80 yards down the field and score I think you deserve a little bit of celebration with your teammates. I am not so big on the individual celebrations though, its a team sport.

I actually love the team celebrations. They group up and pat each other on the helmet. That isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the self-promoting "over-celebration". It isn't needed to make football more entertaining. The game itself IS what we come to see.

Originally Posted by Scooter1 View Post
    This is a rule that teams can control. I do know that the first Bison player to have a TD called back is going to get crucified on this board. especially if we have to settle for a FG and lose by 3 points.

He should also catch a ration from his teammates and coaches as well.

I have never understood the mind set of all the celebration after a tackle or a TD. I never understood the mind set of guys celebrating a big hit after a 6 or 7 yard gain. For God sake, if it is 2nd and 3, stop celebrating..you didn't do so hot on that play in the first place.

I have never understood that as well. They are doing there job for christ sakes. They act like they never scored or tackled some one in there life.

I keep thinking about the defensive back that NDSU lost to injury in the 90's. He scored a TD after an INT in one of the first games of the season and then was lost for that season due to a stupid injury that occured while his team mates were mobbing and jumping all over him. Can't remember his name, but I think he was a Valley City kid.

Stupid way to lose a season.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

I think this is going a little overboard. Could the next rule be no talking in the end zone, lol.