Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going too far?

Default Going too far?

I missed this article yesterday, but pretty thought provoking:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article.../group/Sports/

I think it is good to end excessive celebration, but is this taking it a bit too far? I agree with Kolpack that Gatlin would have almost certainly been flagged under this new rule. He was by no means taunting other players, so I am a little conflicted if this just goes too far.

Discuss. (I did not see this posted elsewhere.....my apologies if it was.)
    Last edited by THEsocalledfan; 08-01-2011 at 03:09 PM.

Default Re: Going too far?

That pics looks like hes taunting..but he just pointed to the crowd while running into the endzone. If that hurts a guys feelings youre in the wrong sport

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I missed this article yestday, but pretty thought provoking:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article.../group/Sports/

I think it is good to end excessive celebration, but is this taking it a bit too far? I agree with Kolpack that Gatlin would have almost certainly been flagged under this new rule. He was by no means taunting other players, so I am a little conflicted if this just goes too far.

Discuss. (I did not see this posted elsewhere.....my apologies if it was.)
    Sounds like college football is being infiltrated by soccer referees. Next thing is they will want to issue yellow and red cards.

With 7 yards to go to the end zone his main priority is to get in the end zone. Weve seen other players screw the pooch when they start show boating. But now there will be other consequences as well. I dont have any problem with the rule.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Total BS - It won't be long before the NCAA will make the winning team apologize to the other team after the game.
    Best DI Football Team in the Tri-State Area - AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    With 7 yards to go to the end zone his main priority is to get in the end zone. Weve seen other players screw the pooch when they start show boating. But now there will be other consequences as well. I dont have any problem with the rule.
    PL, I agree with your sentiment...I'm from the "act like you've been there" school of thought. However, that's a problem for the coach to deal with not the official. Taunting such as pointing at an opposing player or standing over them woofing should be a penalty. Pointing to the sky or fans should not IMO.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Notorious is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I hate the "look at me" type celebrations, but love the emotion shown in college football. I think the rule has gone too far. There is too much grey area, and I'd be willing to bet that there are a bunch of controversial calls this year.

"Bisonville Poster of the Year - 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012"

"Hustler Man of the Year - 2011 & 2012"

"1977 Pinewood Derby Champion - Southwestern North Dakota"

"Chub's Pub & 4-10 Club Hall of Fame - 2012

"Voted Biggest DICK on Bisonville"

Next up, scores will no longer be kept, and everyone one both teams will be given participation medals.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

I don't like the rule. The main problem I have is that it is very gray and left up to the ref at the time. Also these players work very hard all year long and emotions and adrenalin run high when their hard work is paying off. Let them have a little fun. It is a game and games have winners and losers and during most games peoples feeling may get hurt. Next time a pitcher strikes out a batter when their are two outs and the bases are loaded he better give a fist pump, he better stand at attention and march off the field like a good little boy. Or the next time someone shoots a 3 that just felt good they better not hold there arm up with their wrist bent the should just turn around and march to the other end of the court to play defense like a good little boy. Next dare I say it a hockey player scores a goal he better not plow into the boards he should just turn around and skate to the bench like a good little boy. I mean you have intercepted a ball have no one around you and have 18000 fans on their feet screaming and showing emotion, the player should be able to also.

SPORTS ARE ABOUT EMOTION LET THEM SHOW EMOTION.

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    PL, I agree with your sentiment...I'm from the "act like you've been there" school of thought. However, that's a problem for the coach to deal with not the official. Taunting such as pointing at an opposing player or standing over them woofing should be a penalty. Pointing to the sky or fans should not IMO.
    I agree BUT point to the fans AFTER you score. IF you are going to point at all. You can celebrate on the sidelines. IMO
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."