Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will the Ducks follow the Buckeyes?

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Will the Ducks follow the Buckeyes?

Insert something clever here...

Default Re: Will the Ducks follow the Buckeyes?

One can wonder about Oregon's rise to prominense without reading the article regardless. Oregon has usually been a team that pops in the top 20 every few years, but everyone knows there is a difference between top 20 and top 5. Quite sizable and yet quite small at the same time.

My thing to support UO is that they recruit a different type of player that other big schools do not always go after. Small lineman, small backs, small qb's, etc. I doubt they have many recruiting battles with Notre Dame, Bama, Texas, etc. I am too lazy to read the article but from an outside view pre-article, Oregon has struck gold in a few players the last 5 years or so and good luck in their future. Cheer cheer for Old Notre Dame!
    Stu Whitney@stuwhitney4mSurprised Harvard missed out. MT @AllHailTank: Well I guess I got watt I wonted I will take my talents and higher my education at UND.
    LAKESBISON 3/4/2006-4/15/2011 Forever in our hearts

Former representative of 3rd Floor Johnson
    Current representative of 12 St. N Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by 344Johnson View Post
    One can wonder about Oregon's rise to prominense without reading the article regardless. Oregon has usually been a team that pops in the top 20 every few years, but everyone knows there is a difference between top 20 and top 5. Quite sizable and yet quite small at the same time.

My thing to support UO is that they recruit a different type of player that other big schools do not always go after. Small lineman, small backs, small qb's, etc. I doubt they have many recruiting battles with Notre Dame, Bama, Texas, etc. I am too lazy to read the article but from an outside view pre-article, Oregon has struck gold in a few players the last 5 years or so and good luck in their future. Cheer cheer for Old Notre Dame!
    I think you have your UO football history thing all wrong. Until the early 90's, they've pretty much always been awful, as in bottom of conference regularly type of awful with a few exceptions. Since then, they've steadily improved. Not so coincidentally, that has been the rise of Nike and their financial contribution to the program. It has been Oregon and USC at the top of the Pac10 for most of the last 15 years.

One of the things that I cannot seem to get out of my head lately... Many Duck fans were really disappointed with losing the recruiting battle for Terrell Pryor. Holy hell, was that a blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    I think you have your UO football history thing all wrong. Until the early 90's, they've pretty much always been awful, as in bottom of conference regularly type of awful with a few exceptions. Since then, they've steadily improved. Not so coincidentally, that has been the rise of Nike and their financial contribution to the program. It has been Oregon and USC at the top of the Pac10 for most of the last 15 years.

One of the things that I cannot seem to get out of my head lately... Many Duck fans were really disappointed with losing the recruiting battle for Terrell Pryor. Holy hell, was that a blessing.
    Keep in mind I came into this world in the early 90's. So how we compare UO will be differently, this also may be why the Ducks are now becoming successful. Kids my age and younger are looking at them as more of a power rather than as a team who has only recently been good in the whole of football history.
    Stu Whitney@stuwhitney4mSurprised Harvard missed out. MT @AllHailTank: Well I guess I got watt I wonted I will take my talents and higher my education at UND.

Keep in mind I came into this world in the early 90's. So how we compare UO will be differently, this also may be why the Ducks are now becoming successful. Kids my age and younger are looking at them as more of a power rather than as a team who has only recently been good in the whole of football history.
    I guess I'm not getting the contradictions in your logic. Didn't you just write "Oregon has usually been a team that pops in the top 20 every few years, but..." above? That sounds like a statement from a fan long in the tooth, or at least one trying to sound like they have a vast amount of deep knowledge on the subject. In reality, it was way off.

Sorry to bust your chops. It's just a little weird to me that you made such an opinioned (is that a word?) statement when you actually had none. I grow weary of people on message boards trying to sound so knowledgeable on subjects that they are not. It is a particular pet peeve of mine and you just happen to be in the crosshairs at the moment. Sorry. Perhaps I'm just getting old...

Regardless, your latter word are very interesting to me. Many people (sometimes I think especially most Duck fans) seem to forget how they have been the doormat of the conference for so long. It just goes to show you how some money can build on itself. I just hope it also hasn't been cheating that has aided the process...

Notorious is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I guess I'm not getting the contradictions in your logic. Didn't you just write "Oregon has usually been a team that pops in the top 20 every few years, but..." above? That sounds like a statement from a fan long in the tooth, or at least one trying to sound like they have a vast amount of deep knowledge on the subject. In reality, it was way off.

Sorry to bust your chops. It's just a little weird to me that you made such an opinioned (is that a word?) statement when you actually had none. I grow weary of people on message boards trying to sound so knowledgeable on subjects that they are not. It is a particular pet peeve of mine and you just happen to be in the crosshairs at the moment. Sorry. Perhaps I'm just getting old...

Regardless, your latter word are very interesting to me. Many people (sometimes I think especially most Duck fans) seem to forget how they have been the doormat of the conference for so long. It just goes to show you how some money can build on itself. I just hope it also hasn't been cheating that has aided the process...
    Hey Ory gun.....stop being your usual douchebag self and putting me down. - 344 Johnson

"Bisonville Poster of the Year - 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012"

"Hustler Man of the Year - 2011 & 2012"

"1977 Pinewood Derby Champion - Southwestern North Dakota"

"Chub's Pub & 4-10 Club Hall of Fame - 2012

"Voted Biggest DICK on Bisonville"

Any team that is good outside of a football powerhouse state is cheating. And probably some of the good teams from inside football powerhouse states aswell. BigCheaterSubdivision . They all pay really good kids under the table. It's just like steroids and baseball, everyones doing it.
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21

Hang in there kid. This comment is very "thought provoking". Some of us "old guys" get too caught up in ancient history. Your generation doesn't give a crap if Oregon was a traditional doormat. They only see the recent history and it builds from there. That's how traditions get started.

[QUOTE=NorthernBison;508773]Hang in there kid. This comment is very "thought provoking". Some of us "old guys" get too caught up in ancient history. Your generation doesn't give a crap if Oregon was a traditional doormat. They only see the recent history and it builds from there. That's how traditions get started.[/QUOTE]

^^^^ This is what I was trying to say. Right now recruits don't care if Oregon used to suck. Fact is that the first game I got on my gamecube was NCAA '03, Joey Harrington from the Oregon Ducks was on it. In the time current recruits have been watching football(roughly my age of kids) Oregon has been at worst I respectable team, at best a pretty dang good team.

So Orygun, I was simply trying to suggest that Oregon very well could be a clean program at least compared to other teams. I also said that they recruit different types of players compared to a lot of power teams. Oregon and Ohio St, Texas, Bama have nothing similar. This gives Oregon almost a special category of recruits without recruiting against a lot of big schools. I do not take offense to any of it. From what I've seen, women can be bitches when it is that time of the month.

[QUOTE=344Johnson;508964]
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    Hang in there kid. This comment is very "thought provoking". Some of us "old guys" get too caught up in ancient history. Your generation doesn't give a crap if Oregon was a traditional doormat. They only see the recent history and it builds from there. That's how traditions get started.[/QUOTE]

^^^^ This is what I was trying to say. Right now recruits don't care if Oregon used to suck. Fact is that the first game I got on my gamecube was NCAA '03, Joey Harrington from the Oregon Ducks was on it. In the time current recruits have been watching football(roughly my age of kids) Oregon has been at worst I respectable team, at best a pretty dang good team.

So Orygun, I was simply trying to suggest that Oregon very well could be a clean program at least compared to other teams. I also said that they recruit different types of players compared to a lot of power teams. Oregon and Ohio St, Texas, Bama have nothing similar. This gives Oregon almost a special category of recruits without recruiting against a lot of big schools. I do not take offense to any of it. From what I've seen, women can be bitches when it is that time of the month.
    Yeah I really doubt recruits care how they fared in the 60's. Thats just nice small talk for people who didnt experience it.
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21