Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU Faces Funding Crisis

Greenie is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default NDSU Faces Funding Crisis

http://www.kfgo.com/fm-headline-news.php?ID=0000004055

Bresciani says the diminishing support is at least a decade in the making and without any significant changes in the just completed legislative session, the university must now choose to cut programs, faculty and staff or raise tuition.

Bresciani is briefing higher education officials and board members on the proposed tuition hike in Bismarck. The proposed 8.8% hike far exceeds the 2.5% tuition cap that's been recommended for NDSU. The board could formally take up the request at its regular monthly meeting Monday, May 9.

Default Re: NDSU Faces Funding Crisis

I can't believe in a state with 300-600 Billion surplus has ANY state school in a Budget crisis.....its just stupid
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Personally, I think the 8.8% hike should in no way, shape, or form be allowed. I really don't care what is said, they should not be allowed to do that. They do it once they will keep doing it. Flame away.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

duluthbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Email sent out by Bresciani yesterday:

Colleagues and students,

Many of you have questions and concerns about tuition now that the legislative session has ended and we can see the gap between the funding the State Board of Higher Education recommended for us and the amount legislated. I am in discussions with the executive committees of all three senates so as to shape our campus position on the matter. The State Board of Higher Education will consider our final proposal at a committee meeting tomorrow, and its full board meeting this coming Monday, after which I will provide a full update. My commitment is to do everything possible to provide the caliber of education our students expect and deserve.

Dean Bresciani

Dean L. Bresciani, President

North Dakota State University
    North Dakota State Bison | 16 Time National Champions:
    1965, 1968, 1969, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1990, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019

Proud NDSU Alumnus | Class of 2011

I wonder how much of the 8.8% is for shock factor and how much is real. It's a sad indictment of the current budget situation at NDSU and the annual asshattery that is the funding formula. It's Jante law at its finest. Something has to give.

That said, I agree with TAB. I hope the conversation has its intended purpose.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

IF the elected officials of our (yes, to me ND remains 'our') great state had their stuff together and would connect the dots, they would see the link between investment in the state university system and in the future of the state.

While the legislature was buzy cutting and hacking with all of the pettyness that goes with it, the Commerce Department is crying out for younger workers in ND. It does not take a great mind (after all TAB, Tatanka, and CAS can get it quick - Note will take a while) to note that a good number of the kids who get an education from one of the ND universities want to stay and do look for work in the area / state.

Of course, the next step is taking action to incent business to come to ND and take advantage of these highly skilled graduates. A number of businesses will locate given they see a comparitive advantage to other areas of the country / world. A decent tax base and access to talent can be a large part of that advantage.

Imagine just how far a little bit of vision by the elected could go.
    Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    I wonder how much of the 8.8% is for shock factor and how much is real.
    This is the real deal.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Even with the 8.8% increase in tuition NDSU's tuition costs will still be less than the school up north.

NDSU Tuition
    http://www.ndsu.edu/admission/cost_tuition/cost/

School Up North
    http://und.edu/finance-operations/st...tion-rates.cfm

This just says increase in tuition so not taking into account fees/housing.

NDSU Tuition: Currently $5639 Increase of 8.8%: $496 New Tuition: $6135

UND Tuition: Currently $6726 Proposed 2.5% Increase: $168 New: $6894

Not to big of a deal in my book!

What makes a difference is taking that increase by 14,000 students is almost $7,000,000 increase.

RedRiver is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Equity Funding! Equity Funding!

It all gets back to that same issue.

NDSU never got their fair share again this legislative session.

I think we all dropped the ball on this issue, from admin, alumni and of course local legislators.

Work needs to begin today to get NDSU equal funding for the next legislative session.

With all due respect, I don't think you have a clue about what you're talking about.

Bresciani and the SboHE had to bust ass to get the funding they did.

Things turned out amazingly well because when the session started there was a gaggle of legislators that wanted to make an example of NDSU.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."